+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Blair Witch Project

I loved this movie, though I must confess I was more impressed with the concept of it than I was with the actual experience of it. Like many others, the hype (I'd also been on the website and my other horror fan friends and I had been discussing it to death) had whipped up a storm of pre-movie anticipation which, to be fair, few movies could possibly stand up to.

I could only imagine what was happening to Josh out of the camera's views and that terrified me even more.
    I'm completely with you there, Z. I am one of those people for whom the final shot was absolutely chilling. Just thinking about gives me goosebumps. I didn't know about Rustin Parr, but having the shot not on the actual gruesome act resulted in me identifying with the next victim more, if that makes any sense, because I felt as if I was forced to be in his situation--not able to actually witness what is happening, yet still knowing it is inevitable. This engaged my anxiety much more, particularly as my imagination has a tendency to spiral out of control.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaius
    Was the last shot dissapointing in that you didn't totally understand it or did you understand it but still thought it was bad?

The last shot scared the crap out of me because I remembered the stories of the insane man, Rustin Parr, killing his child victims in pairs, with one of the victims staring at a corner, waiting for his turn while the other was being killed. In fact, that story really stayed with me throughout the movie, and to have it come back at the very end with the main characters gave it some extra punch. I could only imagine what was happening to Josh out of the camera's views and that terrified me even more.

In all honesty I can't even put my finger on why I was disappointed, I just felt the movie was unfinished, I didn't want to create my own ending.
    Damn, I sound so lazy I think that it just didn't seem a fitting ending for the way the movie made me feel while I was watching it.
    It's difficult to put into words sitting here as I aren't in the same mind set I was when I was watching the movie.

I'm really enjoying this thread.
    I'd love to have these kind of discussions regularly if someone can think of a suitable movie to discuss.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    I'd love to have these kind of discussions regularly if someone can think of a suitable movie to discuss.
    I agree. I think we should have threads with actual discussion about movies (the threads being spoiler-warned of course). There are so many movies that I have watched that I want to discuss plot points, things I didn't understand, favorite parts etc...
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

JR.
    I didn't take it that way Zaius, I just want more out of that movie. After that slow (and sometimes tedious) build-up, it felt like I was left hanging. I know what they were going for, it just fell flat with me.

I know exactly how you feel Fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    I am one of those people for whom the final shot was absolutely chilling. Just thinking about gives me goosebumps.

In fact, I've avoided watching the movie again just because that last scene freaked me out so much. The only thing I found tiresome about the movie was the language, dear God, I'm no saint but every second word was f**k...somehow that doesn't bother me when I'm watching something like Goodfellas, but those kids (especially that annoying cow Heather) made me want to wash their mouths out with soap.

I actually didn't mind Part 2, but it had so little to do with the first I don't know why they even bothered to put the Blair Witch name on it - oh yeah, except for the fact that the first movie made a gajillion bucks. :rolleyes
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fan
    I felt the same way SnowflakeGirl did. The whole time I watched it I kept repeating to myself, "This is such a cool idea!" I knew enough going into the movie that I wasn't pulled into the story enough to feel scared more than two or three times (mainly the scene where the tent shakes and the finale.) Still, I thought the way it was put together would have looked chillingly real if I didn't know better. The ending felt too abrupt, but I've never been able to think of another way to do it.
    Tugboats and arson. That's all I ever get from you guys.

The first Halloween after The Blair Witch Project came out hubby made the stick bundles and hung them on the trees in our front yard. It was spooky. Cars of teenagers would drive past and slow down to look.
    I love you, you love me, we're a happy family...

So who here thought the Blair Witch sequel was better than the first movie?

*dodges out of way of flying tomato*

Seriously, who even watched that thing? The stench-o-meter on that one went off the scale. And what happened to these filmmakers, it seemed they had such a promising future then...nada. What happened, did the Blair Witch get' em?
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Here's an interesting article about what happened to the people involved in the movie:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3988556/
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Wow, yeah, thanks for that article. Geez, talk about fading into obscurity--even the makers of Blair Witch Project don't know what happened to themselves. Heather Donahue saying she can't wait to read the article so she, herself, can get an update? Michael C. Williams moving furniture?

This last sentence is utterly heartbreaking:
    Even though Williams isn't thrilled to be hauling sofas, he isn't bitter—and he's got a plan to get on the screen again. "You tell Steven Spielberg, 'I'm here, baby'," he says, and laughs. "Of course, if you print that, he won't be able to find me." No worries, Steven. We've got his number. It's on the side of the truck.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast