Catch a soaring star (or falling celeb) in 2003
Tue Dec 31, 7:28 AM
Ann Oldenburg USA TODAY
Stargazing is a favorite pastime in the USA -- and we don't mean looking toward the heavens. Who will make headlines in the next year? Here are our picks for Celebs to Watch in 2003:
1. Ben Affleck (news) and Jennifer Lopez (news). You may wish they'd go quietly on their way after all the press they got this year. But with a wedding in the works, as well as their first movie together, Gigli, due in August, the couple will stay high-profile throughout the new year.
2. Brad Pitt (news) and Jennifer Aniston (news). Friends has been renewed, but we'll be watching to see whether the couple's next project goes as planned: the pitter-patter of a new little Pitt.
3. Demi Moore (news). Photos of her looking fit and fabulous at 40 in a bikini from the filming of summer's Charlie's Angels sequel were enough to prompt People magazine to do a cover story on her. The movie will be big, and so will the interest in Demi.
4. Reese Witherspoon (news). Legally Blonde 2 goes to Washington, and when the movie opens in July, it will make her more beloved than ever. Even husband Ryan Phillippe (news) admits he gets counseling to help him cope with her stardom.
5. Julia Roberts (news) and Danny Moder. She is known for falling hard but loving 'em and leaving 'em. Has she found Mr. Right in her new hubby?
6. Russell Crowe (news). He's engaged to Danielle Spencer (news), and he has a big, swashbuckling adventure film due in June called Master and Commander.
7. Leonardo DiCaprio (news). If Gangs of New York and Catch Me If You Can catch on, the newly single Leo could be back on top as a teen heartthrob.
8. Nicole Kidman (news). She's young, she's making good movies, she's got to hook up with someone sooner or later. And since we can't think of Nicole without thinking of Tom and Penelope, we'll be watching for a Cruise/Cruz wedding.
9. Melanie Griffith (news) and Antonio Banderas. Rumors of marital trouble have been dogging them, but publicist Robin Baum says it's all ''absolutely not true.'' Still, the tabloids won't let go. We'll see who is telling the truth.
10. Angelina Jolie (news). Although she has spent much of her time out of the country with baby Maddox, she will be back in the limelight in July when the sequel to Lara Croft: Tomb Raider opens. We still would like to know how such passion with Billy Bob Thornton (news) turned so sour, and why she and dad Jon Voight (news) are estranged. What did he mean when he said she has ''problems''?