+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No More Short Movies!

No More Short Movies!

I'm starting a campaign here and now. I am boycotting any movie with a run-time less than 100 minutes. I'm getting sick and tired of movies that cost $25 to go with my wife to see (with popcorn and sodas), and last less than that. If they can't justify more than 25-cents per minute, I'm not going.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    You tell 'em John!

I think I'm just boycotting theaters in general
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I love theaters, and I love going to see movies, and even movies that are stupid are most of the time enjoyable. But movies are getting shorter and shorter, as budgets get bigger and bigger (LOTR bucking the trend admirably).

From now on, I refuse to even rent DVDs of movies with a running time less than 100 minutes.

I rented two movies tonight - "Minority Report" and "K19", and both movies are well over 2 hours. Good for them.

I don't mind renting movies with 100 minutes or less. I just won't go to the theater to watch one of those short movies. Unless, it's something extraordinary.

The reason they make movies short is so they can run them more times per day. The more times they run, the more tickets & popcorn they can sell. That's the theory anyway. I was so terrified that LOTR would follow the trend. But thankfully PJ & crew was determined to give the fans a quality product. Let's hope Hollywood watches & learns (but don't hold your breath).

FORT Fanatic
    After I see LOTR tonight (on a free pass) I'm skipping theaters again as well. I can't believe that we have to sit through 5-10 minutes of commercials(not just previews) to see a movie we paid top dollar to watch. I don't really care about the length of the movie as long as it's good; but I don't like the commercials, or the high-dollar popcorn/snacks (I'm a die-hard smuggler myself), or the loud, rude moviegoers. I had to rent the first LOTR to get up to speed even after I had seen it in the theater, because someone brought an infant into the theater. I missed nearly all of the dialogue because of the kid's screaming. The parent thoughtfully (sarcasm) took the kid to the upper corner of the theater, apparently not deducing that because all the seats were in the same actual room, it did not help to simply move seats. I think theaters should simply not allow babies at all, and should reserve at least some showings of movies for adults.

We don't have to pay to see movies fortunately, but I can certainly understand why people don't always feel they have gotten their money's worth.
    If I was paying, I wouldn't necessarily mind seeing a shorter movie if it was good.
    My personal beef is people talking.
    I set a new personal record today by having management kick out 12, yes 12 people that were constantly talking during Catch Me If You Can.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Princess
    OK... I would never buy anything in the concession stands at a movie theatre, so I don't think it's "fair" to add that to the price of the movie. Also, I'd rather take a shorter, good quality movie than a long, poor quality one.
    That being said - I think that the price for watching a movie at a theatre is waaaay to high, though I can understand that the overhead costs probably are quite high....

Overhead costs are high because theaters waste money running movies that no one wants to see over and over again. They have to have staff on hand to accomodate these runs as well.

If you have a movie that only a certain number of people are going to want to see, then run it once per day, at a time when you've already got enough employees there to cover concessions and stuff. I'd happily settle for less options, for a decrease in cost.

Theaters are spending too much to provide too many options for moviegoers.

Princess
    Overhead costs are high because theaters waste money running movies that no one wants to see over and over again.
    Actually... I used to always go to a movie theatre showing fringe movies, and it was cheaper than others even though there were less ppl there. Perhaps it was smaller though, and cheaper to run (less cost for locale and such).
    Personally I'm happy that they show movies at times when not that many ppl want to go since I'm able to take advantage of daytime discounts and enjoy to be almost alone in the theatre - but I agree that it's really not necessary if they would be able to keep the cost down by only showing movies at popular hours.
    Anyway... I really wish they'd do away with the concession stands - I hate having to smell popcorn, nachos etc, and listening to ppl rustling with paper.... for heaven's sake - it's only 2 hrs, can't you do without food/snacks for that long???!!!!!! grrrr

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast