+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Memento - anyone seen it? - SPOILER INFO

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I love that movie, LG! It's in my dvd collection. PM me the question. I'm interested to know what it is!

I saw it a while ago. It's good. And *smacks the crochet out of LG's hands* you ninny! Don't do that while watching Memento.

Yep, I've seen it LG, it was a while ago though so I'm not sure how much use I'd be if your question is too detailed.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Corrrection. Wayner's Memento DVD is in my collection. But I plan to return it RSN.

I'd like to know the question, too. I really enjoyed the movie. Maybe we should just post a spoiler warning and relieve the burden on LG's PM box?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Lobeck and I were of no help to LG on the question!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I wanna know the question now.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

LG.
    Ok, so I labeled the thread "Spoiler Info" but if you haven't seen the movie yet and don't want to have the ending spoiled STOP READING.

I mean it.

I'm going to spoil it for you.

It will ruin your appetite.

I'm a killjoy.

OK, first off, the movie damaged MY short term memory, so I couldn't remember that the main guy's name was Leonard until I was half-way done posting, so I'm calling him Tatoo Guy but I really mean Leonard. At the "end" which contained the earliest snippet Tatoo Guy is told by Teddy that he had actually already killed the John G. who had raped his wife (and they took pictures) but that the wife didn't die in the attack. She survived but couldn't handle living with Tatoo Guy's brain damage and the fact that he couldn't remember shit, so she had him give her too much insulin and she went into a coma. Then while he's driving around town in the fancy car (that we just found out actually belonged to drug dealer Jimmy G whom Teddy had duped Tatoo guy into killing) he's having flashbacks of his wife after the attack, including one scene where they are both lying in bed and he's already got most of his tatoos, including the one that says "John G raped and murdered my wife" which wouldn't have been that case, not even in his warped mind, while she was still alive. I've returned the DVD to the store, but is this right? It totally ticked me off because that didn't make any sense. Also, was I to surmise that the other guy with no short term memory didn't have a wife (as Teddy said) and that really it was our very own Tatoo Guy who flunked the shock treatment test and couldn't be conditioned into learning anything? That would lead to his wife being frustrated and not able to understand (it's a mental problem, not a physical one) and letting him OD her on insulin, but then how has he taught himself to search the drawers in his hotel room first thing, etc. That seemed like a "new" instinct, but who knows. And why the hell would Teddy (whom I think was really a cop) hang around Tatoo Guy when he KNEW that the woman from the bar was using Tatoo Guy to off people and that Teddy (whom she blamed for Jimmy G's death along with Tatoo Guy who has Jimmy G's car and suit, for crying out loud) was someone she'd like to see dead. Teddy, he won't remember you, for crying out loud, just stop calling him.

There, my ranting and pissing and moaning is complete. It was worth it to watch the movie (even though I'm an old hen who was crocheting the whole time) but I'm adrift as I have no one in my real life to discuss it with. Thanks guys!
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

OMG! I so missed the murdered wife tattoo while she was still alive. I love to catch the mess-ups. That is huge one though. I really am of no help.

I am sure you boosted the rentals of this movie for this week. I know I am going to have to see it aginto get all of this.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

OK, coupla things.

Yes, I think Teddy was really a cop, but I think he was corrupt as hell and was using Leonard.

Yes, I think it was Leonard who actually killed his wife with an OD of insulin, not the other guy.

And, finally, the damn tattoo. My wife and I tried to make sense of that, too. He did have the "John G raped and murdered my wife" tattoo on his chest while she was laying on his chest during the flashback. Even more maddeningly, he had another brand-new tattoo that you don't see anywhere else in the movie on his chest, but I can't remember what it said. At any rate, this suggests a period of time where she was alive and he just couldn't remember that she was. He thought she was dead at the moment of his injury, and he can't "un-remember" that. I think that led to her finally letting him kill her with the insulin OD.

Just my opinion. Not sure if I'm right.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

LG.
    Ok Paulie, I'm so glad you're back just so you can agree with me on this one. Teddy and chick from the bar were BOTH using Leonard to kill people they didn't want to have to deal with. When Teddy kept asking Leonard, "how did you get the car" and telling him "you don't know who you are now" it was his way of taking a jab at Leonard because he doesn't even realize that he's actually a murderer and kills people out of misplaced rage. And yes, Teddy was corrupt, as he told Leonard that maybe John G was really a James G just to get him to kill Jimmy G the drug dealer that Teddy wanted to rip off as he knew Jimmy G would have lots of cash with him (and he did).

Thanks for noticing that he had "John G raped AND MURDERED my wife" in the shot in which she was still alive Paulie, as that's been driving me nuts for days. Anyone with this at home, are you able to make out the other "new" tatoo on Leonard in this scene that Paulie noticed? A "new" tatoo wouldn't make any damn sense as it was earlier in time than the action in the movie and it takes weeks of treatments to get a tatoo removed. I like your theory, Paulie, that at the exact moment of his injury he THOUGHT she was dead but really she was alive, albiet wrapped up in the shower curtain, but then every morning when he'd wake up she'd be there, he wouldn't get MURDERED tatooed on him without her going to have it corrected during her lifetime.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this one? Come on, it's fun. Feifer, rent it again if you want, as on the DVD version there is a special feature to see the tatoos, but I never noticed a "new" one.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast