+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McKellen Heads to Hogwarts

McKellen Heads to Hogwarts

McKellen Heads to Hogwarts

British acting knight Sir Ian McKellen will replace the late Richard Harris as Professor Albus Dumbledore in the third Harry Potter movie.

The 63-year-old star, who also plays wizard Gandalf in the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, is set to appear in the third installments of both rival films - after signing to take on the role of the Hogwarts headmaster in Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban. McKellen takes over the role from Harris - who died of cancer in October.

Movie bosses had hoped to cast Harris in the new film - which is due to begin filming in February - by using computer animation and film footage. But they found they did not have the required film available.

Fellow Brit Christopher Lee - another Lord Of The Rings star - was among those tipped to replace Harris. A source on the Warner Bros movie set says, "Everyone has been sworn to secrecy about Ian McKellen getting the role of Dumbledore. One of the production staff let it slip and now it is spreading like wild fire. He got the part just before Christmas but Warner's won't announce it until the New Year. Bosses thought he was the perfect replacement for Harris and, as we all know, he is capable of playing the part of a wizard.

They are not worried about people getting The Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter confused. They are two very different films."

knew it!
    ha!
    can't wait for the next one..
    i wonder who they'll get for Sirius Black
    i hope the rest of the cast remains~
    each time one loves is the only time one ever love...differences of object merely intensify the passion

Easy to say after the event, but I also had a very strong feeling McKellern would replace Harris.
    I just can't see anyone else being able to do it.
    McKellern is a phenomenal actor and I think he would do a wonderful job of it.
    "That's Numberwang!"

After I had watched the first Harry Potter and Lord Of The Rings film, I thought the late Richard Harris and Sir Ian McKellen were the same person. Sir Ian McKellen is undoubtedly suitable for the role of Dumbledore, although Richard Harris will be sorely missed.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    To quote one of our other friends here on the board:

"I was soooooo right!"

However, I was not in a "Name the new Dumbledoor" pool, so I don't win any cash. What a rip.

I've never seen the Harry Potter movies or read the books. But just from watching the commercials & movie trailers, it was clear that McKellen was far & away the best choice to play Dumbledore after Harris' tragic passing. I just didn't know whether he was interested (wizard burnout?) or if the Potter people could pony up the money considering McKellen's growing starpower. I didn't see any dollar signs disclosed, but I'm sure it's a nice deal.

FORT Fanatic
    I was just really sad at the end of Chamber of Secrets to think that Harris is gone.

Me too. I was shocked when I read about it in the papers. Harris as Dumbledore is a very lovable character.

yup!
    All good things come to an end.

The IMDB is saying today that Michael Gambon is replacing Harris. They say they got it from E! Online, which cited no sources.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast