+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 420 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103143193 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Hate to break it you, HappyBlue, but IMO you should have gotten either Thirteen or Millenium Actress.

But then don't listen to me, my God, I'm the woman who just rented TWO THOUSAND MANIACS!!! You need to scream out the title every time you say it, because it is a magnificently cheesy 60s horror-exploitation flick about Yankees lost in a scary village in Georgia. This no-budget classic (the director actually sings on the soundtrack because he didn't want to spend money hiring a professional singer ) has ambitious but awful special effects--and that's the charm, people! If you are an MST3K fan who wants to be your own Tom Servo for the night, or if you just love flagrantly bad genre films, then I highly recommend TWO THOUSAND MANIACS!!!

It sounds a lot like Redneck Zombies, which is absolutely, positively the lowest budget horror flick I've ever seen.
    I hardly ever rent movies. My hubby and son usually get the movies THEY want to see, and I read a book or play on the computer. I did see "Starsky and Hutch" last week and thought it was pretty funny.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I didn't rent this, but I just borrowed "Matewan" from a friend. It's based on a true story about a coal mining strike near where I grew up, but I've never seen it.

Snowie, 2,000 Maniacs looks promising. I'll have to check it out.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Secret Window :phhht it's a good thing Johnny Depp is hot.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

John Turturro was hilarious in that one. The ending was terribly predictable.

2,000 Maniacs is a great campfest of a movie!
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Okay, so tonight we were in the mood for something light, so we rented 50 First Dates. It's like Memento re-imagined as a romantic comedy! We liked it, it was cute and sweet. I like Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore anyway, and their whole cadre (like Rob Schneider--I kept wanting him to yell, "You can do eeet!".
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Dinahann - 2000 Maniacs is not even in the same league as Redneck Zombies...or most of Troma's films for that matter...But you are correct in saying how cheap RZ looks, it was shot on video, whereas 2000 Maniacs was shot on film. 2000 Maniacs did have a plot at least

Looks like I'm gonna have to break out my "Something Weird Video" collection again.
    No tears, please. It's a waste of good suffering.

Last week's rentals: some highs and some lows.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, ****
    Now this is anime! "Cowboy Bebop" left me so disappointed a while back. This one made me forget that one. The action sequences are stunning. The best I've seen in a movie (animated or non-animated) in a while. If you like vampire movies, this one is a must.

8 Mile, ***
    I wanted to see this for the longest time. Liked it. Eminem came off pretty real which surprised me

The Terrorist, **
    Slow moving drama set in India about a female terrorist who gradually develops a conscience. Not bad. I just wasn't totally in the mood for something slow-moving and serious.

Swimming Pool, ***(*)
    One of the hardest films to interpret since Mulholland Drive. Enjoyable even if you don't fully get it. Extra star for Ludivine Sagnier's heavenly body.

Capturing the Friedmans, ***
    While watching this doc, I couldn't help but recall the line, "That is one angry clown" from Seinfeld. You could say this movie is about that clown's dysfunctional family. Very real. It about a real-life family torn apart by the father's "alleged" illegal activities. There were moments I felt enraged, disgusted, and sad. Not exactly feel-good.

Cabin Fever, **
    Run-of-the-mill horror.

Power Puff Girls, **
    Great animation. That's about it.

This week's rentals: Morvern Callar, Millenium Actress, The Devil's Backbone, Spirit.
    Last edited by happyblue; 08-10-2004 at 05:26 PM.

Kill Bill Volume 2 - rented it last night.

Not as much blood/gore as Vol. 1, and a truly amazing fight scene between Uma Thurman and Darryl Hannah. Very good indeed.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

FORT Fogey
    I just watched 13 Going on 30. I lost interest about halfway through the movie. I thought it just dragged on with no climax or anything. I give it

+ Reply to Thread