+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 420 FirstFirst ... 26666768697071727374757677787980818283848586126176 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by Mdrio9
    You just got me hooked. The trailer looks intriguing. I want to rent this one now. Thanks.

I hope you like it.

In America - 9/10
    Also one of the best of the last year. Everyones performance was top notch, especially Emma & Sarah Bolger who were robbed for an oscar nomination :mad: (they are the best child actors i have ever seen! )
    I would recomend it to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by macontosh2000
    Elephant

One of the best of 2003! The last 2 something minutes of it were hard to watch.
    THIS MOVIE IS NOT FOR EVERYONE.

9/10
    How come? Violent? Gory?

PM me if it would be giving too much away to post it
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I watched The Age of Innocence this morning, Martin Scorses brilliant adaptation of Ethan Wharton"s novel. Brilliant acting,direction and set decoration.
    Last edited by Sphere; 05-12-2004 at 04:40 PM.

last rental i watched to completion was "In the Mood for Love" a chinese film, it was really good (slow though) about cheating spouses.

i'm still trying to muddle through "Slingblade" this week.

Japanese Story and The Cooler

Both 5 star movies.

Australian actress, Tony Collette was great in Japanese Story. I know I have seen her somewhere before, but can't remember where.

In "The Cooler" Wm Macy was terrific, as always.

Kill Bill v.1,great fun
    Bring on the Fab 5!

"I said walk, not march like a weird little troll!": Carson Kressley

"My ship works better when I kick it" Spike Spiegel(Cowboy Bebop)

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Bernard
    Both 5 star movies.

Australian actress, Tony Collette was great in Japanese Story. I know I have seen her somewhere before, but can't remember where.

In "The Cooler" Wm Macy was terrific, as always.
    Were you at my house watching with me, Pierre? Because those are the exact movies I just rented the other day!

I also liked Japanese Story. A quiet, subtle film about the tenuous human connection of love. Toni Collette is a great actress you've probably seen in a million films, but don't remember. She's like the female John C. Reilly, a consummate character actress. She was the mom in Sixth Sense, and was also in, let's see, Velvet Goldmine, The Hours, About a Boy. And I loved her in Muriel's Wedding, but she has lost a ton of weight since then and would definitely be hard to recognize.

I also liked The Cooler--I always love William H. Macy, he's also another fine character actor...never thought I'd see the day where he'd a full-on love scene! Good for him. This was a great movie though, again about love but this time it's redemptive aspect. Also a great movie about the clash between "old Vegas" and the new Disneyfied version of Vegas.

Oh man, last night, we watched In America, an incredible film by Jim Sheridan, whom I am convinced is a real master of his craft (he also made In the Name of the Father, My Left Foot, The Boxer...). So moving, I was crying almost throughout the entire film!!!!

It is about an Irish family that (illegally) moves out to NY so that the father can pursue his dream of acting (and also, as we learn through the course of the film, as an escape from past tragedy). They must live in extreme poverty, in the mean streets, but even in the midst of the squalor and violence, they find something beautiful (like forming a bond with a troubled stranger, and reconnecting with one another).

Even though the storyline has the potential to go to places that are borderline mawkish, the cast is just so amazing that the film never goes over the edge of sentimentality. Everyone in this film, from the parents to their neighbor Mateo, are just excellent--but the most stunning performances are from the two little girls (whom I think are sisters). Their performances are imbued with an intensity and authenticity that a lot of our adult stars will never achieve.

I couldn't recommend In America more highly!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I watched Lost in Translation last night. I liked it, the slow tempo, the humor, the actors. At first I was not quite sure about it, but in the end I thought it was very interesting.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

We recently watched "Casa de Los Babies" which is about a group of American women who are temporarily living in Mexico awaiting babies they are trying to adopt. Apparently (and I don't know if this is accurate or not) the Mexican government wants them to live down there for a while, hire local lawyers, etc so that they bring some money into the community. It was an amazing cast - Daryl Hannah, marcia Gay Harden, Maggie Gyllenhall, Mary Steenburgen, Lili Taylor.

I liked it a lot.

+ Reply to Thread