+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 420 FirstFirst ... 20606162636465666768697071727374757677787980120170 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

"Honey" was the las tone i rented too. it was better than i thought it was going to be

Yesterday I rented "Secondhand Lions", "Hope Springs" (that movie sucked @ss but i just watched it for Minnie Driver anyway), "The Rundown", and "Wet Hot American Summer", that movie rules btw.
    Sure. Fine. Whatever.

I just rented Cheaper By the Dozen and Duplex, i just couldn't get into either of them, not my cup of tea i guess

Lost in Translation

The Rundown and Gothica. liked both

The last movie I rented was Thirteen, which did well at the Sundance Film Festival. It's about a 13 year old girl who, in her desire to be popular, succumbs to stealing, drugs, cutting, et cetera.

The screenplay was written by a 13 year old girl about her own experiences, so the movie is based on true events. The girl who wrote the movie (Nikki Reed) plays a composite character in the movie who is the "corruptor" of the main character. The main character's mother (played by Holly Hunter) is a recovered alcoholic who is oblivious to what her daughter is doing.

The film was an eye-opener for me...if this is what 13-year olds are doing today...YIKES!

House of Sand and Fog. I liked it, except for some extremely cheesy action/lines between the girl and the cop (there were some short moments I thought I was watching a B-rated movie). It was a little predictable though, and the ending was simply depressing from many aspects. But the whole story, and how it described human nature, society and social pressure was excellent. I am not sure how I would rank the movie as a whole, it had some greatness in it, but I am not sure if it was a homerun.
    Last edited by Tirlittan; 04-10-2004 at 06:21 PM.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

The Quiet American (Michael Caine, Brendan Fraser)

I'm indifferent to Michael Caine and often wonder why the entertainment mags make such a big deal about Brendan Fraser. He has charisma on-screen, and I've seen him turn in some good moments on-screen, but that's all he can do: he can put in good moments, but I can't remember ever seeing him turn in a good performance through the course of a film. (I couldn't take my eyes off the scene with Fraser standing in the Vietnamese square shouting orders in Vietnamese to the local militia.)
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Hmm, Phat, you could almost mistake us for the Similar Movie Titles game thread, as I rented The American Friend, Wim Wenders' 1970s take on Patricia Highsmith's novel Ripley's Game.

It was interesting to contrast Dennis Hopper's take on the chilling sociapath Ripley to Matt Damon's in The Talented Mr. Ripley. Wenders is very much on Hitchcock mode here, and naturally the cinematography has some stunning visuals.

Here's the IMDB summary if anyone's interested in watching this:
    Jonathan Zimmermann, a picture framer in Hamburg is diagnosed as having leu leukemia. Ripley, an American art dealer dealing in forgeries, uses this fact to arrange for a mob associate of his to recruit Zimmermann as a hit man. Zimmermann agrees to this because this would ensure his family's financial future. Zimmermann descends into a nightmare world of deceit and double dealing. The narrative acts as a metaphor for the relationship between American (Hollywood) and post-war German culture. The appearance of several Hollywood directors in cameo roles underlines this.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Identity (John Cusack..Amanda Peet)
    Brown Sugar (Taye Diggs...Mos Def)
    Love Actually (Hugh Grant..Colin Firth)
    Lilo & Stitch (Lilo...Stitch)
    realitytvbites!

+ Reply to Thread