+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 420 FirstFirst ... 35363738394041424344454647484950515253545595145 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

They've showed Manhunter on TV this weekend. It might have been on TBS, TNT or ?

Fade to black
    Rented Antwone Fisher on PPV. Loved it. Got me all teared up a couple of times. Much better than I thought it would be.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Recently saw, "About Schmidt", and thought it was very entertaining. My favorite parts all began with "Dear Ndugu" which was quite a hilarious element in the movie.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    I just saw Phone Booth. It was much better than I thought it would be. I actually enjoyed it.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    I finally watched Red Dragon. I really liked it (although I'm very easy to please ). Actually, it's a remake of an 80's movie called "Manhunter" starring William Peterson (lead of CSI). I really liked that movie too.

It didn't hurt that Ed Norton and Harvey Keitel starred in the movie (two of my favorites...).

I give this movie 3 1/2 (out of 5).
    Hey Jewelsy!

I posted on Red Dragon a few pages back, and I liked it a lot too. For me, it was Ralph Fiennes' & Emily Watson's performances that I felt gave RD an emotional center that Manhunter lacked. I also thought that, as an adaptation, RD was much more faithful to Thomas Harris' novel.

Plus, Ralph Fiennes was a way hotter Francis Dolarhyde than the guy in Manhunter (love that scene )!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Magnolia. I liked the individual stories and show how the director was trying to tie them together. It just didn't do it for me. What was the symbolism, if any, with those frogs? All I could think of was a freak of nature event that no one could control, but I don't think that was its meaning.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Hey Jewelsy!

I posted on Red Dragon a few pages back, and I liked it a lot too. For me, it was Ralph Fiennes' & Emily Watson's performances that I felt gave RD an emotional center that Manhunter lacked. I also thought that, as an adaptation, RD was much more faithful to Thomas Harris' novel.

Plus, Ralph Fiennes was a way hotter Francis Dolarhyde than the guy in Manhunter (love that scene )!
    I agree Snow... I need to read the book again now that I've watched RD.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Eldee, I loved Requiem for a Dream. A tough film to watch, but unforgettable, and as you said, ultimately about the universal human need for love. Excellent acting from the entire cast, and virtuoso direction and cinematography.

I also liked Pi: Faith in Chaos, the first film by Darren Arronofsky (sp?) the dir of RfaD. Have you seen it? You might like that one too.

edited for foolish typo
    I saw Pi. Ahhhhh! I'm so glad you recommended it. They were smart to have it in black and white to show the grittiness of it. The music again was great. The sound affects really made me feel as it his brain was being assaulted. (The same went for the mother in Requiem). Talk about a gift that would only lead its holder to being slowly destroyed. Everyone wants to use others for their own power and greed. I think the only other things he did were student films. I'll have to do a search on it.

Great, Eldee, let me know if you find anything. I loved Requiem and Pi, but as far as I know that's those are the only films available by Darren Arronofsky. I know he was at some point attached to an adaptation of the excellent Palahniuk novel "Survivor", but I think that project's in development hell.

BTW I love P.T. Anderson too (dir. Magnolia). The frogs are an allusion to the bible (like the rain of locusts), an indication that the character's lives are all on the verge of cataclysmic change. Or something like that.

Since you liked Magnolia, you might try Hard Eight, that's PT Anderson's first film. You'll see a lot of the same actors in Magnolia and Boogie Nights (he's got his own little cinema universe). John C. Reilly is excellent in it, for example, and he is excellent as he is in everything.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Hi SnowFlake Girl,
    I took out Boogie Nights more than a year ago out of boredom. I didn't think I would like it as much as I did. Excellent acting by all of them!
    I recognized the plague from the Bible, but was not able to fit it into the story line. Thanks for clearing that up.

+ Reply to Thread