+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 419 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849505152535494144 ... LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Eldee, I loved Requiem for a Dream. A tough film to watch, but unforgettable, and as you said, ultimately about the universal human need for love. Excellent acting from the entire cast, and virtuoso direction and cinematography.

I also liked Pi: Faith in Chaos, the first film by Darren Arronofsky (sp?) the dir of RfaD. Have you seen it? You might like that one too.

edited for foolish typo
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Daphne
    I always buy Dvd's and watch them when I can. I have a lot of Cameron Diaz, Clint Eastwood and Kristen Dunst movies. Someone who I believe is going to turn out to be a very good actress is Emma Watson from the Harry Potter movies IMO she blows the other two off the screen.

I just rented Phone Booth with Colin Farrell. A novel concept, and much more suspenseful than I thought it would be, especially considering it remains in pretty much one single location. Colin Farrell is a babe, and acts his little, foul-mouthed Irish heart out. The "caller" (I won't name the actor, it's a spoiler) is eerily compelling, and steals the movie even though he's not onscreen.
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Daphne
    The last movie I bought was Die another day.

Daphne
    Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Requiem for a Dream. Has anyone seen it? At first, I thought it might go no where, them ZOOM! It starred Jard Leto from the TV series, My So Called Life, which should have stayed on air. Jennifer Connelly from A Beautiful Mind, and Ellen Burnstyn from the Exorcist, and Marlon Wayans from the TV comedy series, In Living Color.

Basically, it was about people's desires and also their want to be loved, admired, and successful. They go about it in a way that will later lead to disaster. Sorry, there is definately no Hollywood ending here. The camera work and editing was what really did it for me. It also blatantly exposed their addictions and decent into a hell where they can not escape. I got the edited version, but have no idea what could have been left out.

It seems to me you rented a VHS tape. If you rented a DVD one of the special features might show what was left out. It does sound like an interesting movie. I am considering buying it along with Gangs of New York.

SnowflakeGirl, those are good suggestions and I will be taking those out this month.

Daphne, you're right, it was the video that I saw.

Awww, I just saw Blood Work with Clint Eastwood. His character is so old and frail, that I felt nervous for him at every turn and fought an overwhelming urge to tell him to take a nap, like I do with my grandfather.

It was a pretty good film, although I unfortunately figured out who the killer was very early on in the film. Even despite it's predictable outcome, it really is worth watching less as a thriller than as a study of a man dealing with age, weakness, mortality, and struggling with his life's purpose. Clint is excellent, perhaps too good--his subtle, finely calibrated performance makes the rest of the cast look like amateur night.

(Bonus points to Blood Work for representing the full rainbow LA's multicultural population. Nice to see that in a mainstream film.)
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 07-11-2003 at 03:58 AM.

Daphne
    SnowflakeGirl, Thank you for your sypnosis. One movie that I like is Dark City it has a Blade Runner (one of my all time favorites) feel to it.

Metallica Fanatic breathless4975's Avatar
    I rented "About Schmidt" the other day and really liked it. I like anything with Jack Nickelson.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. - Albert Schweitzer

The most thoroughly wasted of all days is that on which one has not laughed.

If I accept the sunshine and warmth, then I must also accept the thunder and lightening.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    I finally watched Red Dragon. I really liked it (although I'm very easy to please ). Actually, it's a remake of an 80's movie called "Manhunter" starring William Peterson (lead of CSI). I really liked that movie too.

It didn't hurt that Ed Norton and Harvey Keitel starred in the movie (two of my favorites...).

I give this movie 3 1/2 (out of 5).
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread