+ Reply to Thread
Page 419 of 420 FirstFirst ... 319369409410411412413414415416417418419420 LastLast
Results 4,181 to 4,190 of 4200
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Red 2. Anthony Hopkins is a delight, as are the rest
    Punkin likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing, which I LOVED. It's one of my favorite plays and, although I loved the Branagh version, there are a few actors in that movie who kind of sucked (Robert Sean Leonard, Denzel Washington and Keanu Reeves, I'm looking at you!). I thought this version was fabulous. I've seen Shakespeare on the stage dozens of times and grew up watching the Royal Shakespeare Co, productions on TV, but this is the most easily understood version I've ever seen. The movie manages to use the original text, but make it seem natural and conversational. Amy Acker was SO good as Beatrice. Joss Whedon has said more than once that she's the best actress he's ever worked with and she showed it here. The "if I were a man" speech is always powerful, but she had me in tears. Just incredible.

Tonight my book club had our annual movie night and watched The Desert of Forbidden Art. Absolutely amazing documentary.
    Trace the incredible story of defiant visionary Igor Savitsky, an artist and museum curator who cunningly acquired more than 40,000 banned Soviet Union paintings and hid the illegal collection from the KGB in Uzbekistan's Nukus Museum. In addition to rare archival footage and interviews with the artists' children, this absorbing documentary also features letters and diary entries read by Ben Kingsley, Sally Field and Edward Asner.
    Florimel and JavaJo like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I went light side and rented The Internship. It was a lot of fun and I even got the Ender's Game reference - LOL. I had heard about Quiddich tournaments, but cracked up to see one played as an intramural game. I enjoyed it so much (except for the bed store and the Ron Riegle in Modesto selling scooters bits) that I watched it again.
    Punkin likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I went light side and rented The Internship. It was a lot of fun and I even got the Ender's Game reference - LOL. I had heard about Quiddich tournaments, but cracked up to see one played as an intramural game. I enjoyed it so much (except for the bed store and the Ron Riegle in Modesto selling scooters bits) that I watched it again.
    I know someone whose husband played on a Quiddich team. He actually broke is arm during a game. I'm pretty sure that's officially the nerdiest injury ever.
    Arielflies likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The Purge.

Awful movie
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

This is the End. Gross, sophomoric, over the top and lots of fun. Perfect for a lazy Saturday night. Very tongue and cheek, with the actors poking fun at one another.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Winnie Mandela. Really good movie with Jennifer Hudson as Winnie and Terrance Howard as Mandela. I wrote a review of the movie in the thread about the passing of Mandela. Should have put it here, but you can find it there if interested.

The Hangover 3 - I expected it to be bad and it certainly wasn't good. It was definitely better than the second one. However, it is disappointing that the creators failed to recapture the unexpected laughs of the first one. I generally hate slapstick and juvenile humor, but I loved the first film. They should have just stopped while they were ahead and not created any sequels.

The Heat - Based on what I had heard, I expected this to be pretty funny. I was disappointed. It was okay, but predicable. I don't think I laughed out loud a single time.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    The Heat - Based on what I had heard, I expected this to be pretty funny. I was disappointed. It was okay, but predicable. I don't think I laughed out loud a single time.
    ITs sometimes better to go into t a movie not expecting much and to be pleasantly surprised.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I saw The Purge last night and want to discuss it. Like what would you do. Save yourself over the other guy? Your family over a stranger? Kill the neighbors who were trying to kill you? What happens after the night? Do you move? I wanted more.... and there is a sequel coming out this summer.

+ Reply to Thread