+ Reply to Thread
Page 418 of 420 FirstFirst ... 318368408409410411412413414415416417418419420 LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,180 of 4194
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    We saw The Purge. I know reviews weren't great, but I really liked it. It makes you wonder at what price is peace and prosperity really worth it?
    I've been wanting to see that one.

We watched Empire State, which was okay. The Eddie character made me want to throw things at the TV...what an annoying little twerp. Also watched Maniac, with Elijah Wood an a mannequin obsessed serial killer. I think I prefer him as a cute hobbit.
    Punkin and libgirl2 like this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

The Purge made me want a Panic Room in my house. Maybe we could make it from DH's closet.

We watched Warm Bodies, this weekend. It was surprisingly cute and unassumingly charming. Even though I knew it was based on a YA book, as an adult, I didn't feel pandered or that I had to dumb down to watch it. Even my DH thought it was fun and funny.

I want to see the Purge, but, like some of you with animals in movies, since having kids, I have a hard time watching movies with kids/families in peril.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Much Ado About Nothing - This was the 2013 Joss Whedon version that was filmed entirely at his home in black and white. They used modern dress, but the original speech. There were a couple of times when scenes were filmed in his daughter's room and I had to giggle because they didn't change the decor at all - frills and stuffed animals galore!!

Overall it was okay, but I the modern twist didn't really add anything for me. I'm not sure I have ever seen a movie during which the characters characters consumed so much alcohol. I have no idea if this was a joke!? The story line of Hero being slandered felt completely disconnected from the modern look. I also had some issues with the actor who played Benedict. He had some really good moments, but I thought he seemed stiff and unemotional through large parts of the film. He also looks strikingly like the father of one of my daughter's classmates, which was a little unsettling!

At the end of the day, I preferred the 1993 version with Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh. (It has been quite some time since I saw this, but I know I thoroughly enjoyed it!)
    beerbelly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
    The Purge made me want a Panic Room in my house. Maybe we could make it from DH's closet.
    I know what you mean.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Pacific Rim - The special effect were very good, the premise had promise, and it was directed by Guillermo del Toro so I was expecting to enjoy this movie at the very least. Unfortunately I found myself completely bored and playing around with my phone. How disappointing. Part of the problem was that the aliens, robots, and even a few of the actors looked very similar and just started blending together for me. I would have been interested in learning more about the other robot operators and having them engaged in the story line. It seemed like they wasted a LOT of time focusing only on the three main characters, and I still didn't end up having an emotional connection to any of them. There also felt like there were a lot of story points that were left hanging, or didn't make that much sense. I will spoiler tag these just in case...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    - Early in the film the government shuts down the robot program, but five years later it seems like the robots are the only thing that are still effectively fighting the aliens. Did the government just shut it down with no other plan on the table!? Was the wall they talked about the ONLY other strategy? That doesn't make ANY sense.
    - Furthermore, the head guy of the robot program says after the government stopped funding them that they are not "the resistance". It looks like he had thousands, if not tens-of-thousands of people still working. That must be an amazingly funded "resistance".
    - We are told that the aliens are coming under orders to take over the earth and that they will come in progressively more destructive waves. Why would the aliens spend so much time and lose so many "low level" aliens? Wouldn't that just give humans more time to adapt to their attacks and figure out how to defeat them? Why not just send their biggest baddest aliens and take out the earth all at once? Seems like a bad strategy aliens...

I don't usually put a ton of critical thought into a movie like this because I know I should just suspend disbelief and enjoy, but in this case these things were just glaring at me.

Movie 43, an uneven collection of comedy sketches with tons of well-known actors. Some clips were funny, some rather gross and stupid. Still trying to get the image of Hugh Jackman's neck out of my mind...
    JavaJo likes this.

White House Down, which was better than I thought it was going to be. There was a little humor thrown in there, too.

We Are The Millers. It was kind of dumb, but very funny. The cast had a lot of chemistry.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    White House Down, which was better than I thought it was going to be. There was a little humor thrown in there, too.

We Are The Millers. It was kind of dumb, but very funny. The cast had a lot of chemistry.
    We saw White House Down it was pretty good .Not great, but not bad.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

We watched Scenic Route, with Josh Duhamel. Two lifelong dumbass friends get stranded in the desert and end up picking each other apart, both literally and physically. Contrived ending. We pretty much did a MST3K routine while watching this.

And Stolen, a bank robbery gone bad tale with Nicholas Cage. It was okay, but the story has been done a million times.

+ Reply to Thread