+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

I had to come back to add an another comment or two about the movie Stoker. I posted previously as soon as I was done watching and I was so caught up in the skeevy aspect of the movie that I neglected to mention some of its strong points. The movie was very well acted. Visually it was stunning from the opening credit sequence. Everything about the filming style was just excellent from the framing of each shot to the transitions between scenes. There are a couple of sequences where the daughter goes into the basement and as she walks she swings the light fixtures hanging from the ceiling. It seems like such a small touch, but it created a very eerie effect. It also did a great job creating a visual dichotomy between the Stoker family and the rest of the world. I found it interesting that at the beginning you really couldn't pinpoint where they were or what time period they were in.

This movie was, in a sense, a "coming of age" movie about the main character. She is a teenager in the film who has just turned 18, but at the beginning of the movie she acts like she is about 8. The fact that she is made to behave so childishly early on is part of what amplified the skeevy factor to me as the movie progressed. Honestly though, there was one particular scene that put it over the top for me. If they had just removed that (or even just not taken it in the direction they did) then I would have been creepily disturbed without being disgustingly disturbed.

Overall I'm glad I watched it. It definitely had an impact because I'm still thinking about it the next day. I recommend it if you like great cinematography and art direction and you don't mind being made very uncomfortable by a movie!
    waywyrd and Fanny Mare like this.

Now I have to rent it. Thanks for the review
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Here's a link to one small example.

The Charlotte Rampling Website
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Now You See Me

I watched it twice in a row so I could see the development after the surprise was known. This was fun and inventive. I'm going to have to buy it so when I need to be touched by magic, I can watch it again.
    Florimel and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Now You See Me

I watched it twice in a row so I could see the development after the surprise was known. This was fun and inventive. I'm going to have to buy it so when I need to be touched by magic, I can watch it again.
    I loved this movie. It was fun. They are doing another one
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I loved this movie. It was fun. They are doing another one
    I'm not surprised they're doing another one; the ending foreshadowed that perfectly, and I'm looking forward to it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Ten Pin Bowling Champion, Bookworm Champion Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    We watched The Virgin suicides yesterday. What a weird depressing movie.
    Saw that one quite a while ago and agree that it was really, really weird.

Last night we watched This is 40 on cable starring Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann. I wasn't familiar with Ms. Mann as an actress but apparently she is the wife of Judd Apatow and those were her real daughters starring as the children. I really, really enjoyed it. Parts of the film were very relatable and I laughed heartily.

I saw Iron Man 3 last night. Definitely better than IR2. Loved all the references to The Avengers. I am curious how they will do an IR4 if Tony doesn't want anything to do with his suits, etc. Robert Downey Jr.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

The Great Gatsby - I liked the look and feel of the film, and the modern music doesn't bother me. The acting was good and the story was interesting, but I still felt like there was something missing. I was left feeling like I should had read the book first. I started out feeling one way about certain characters, and then at the very end there was some narration that made me think that wasn't how I was supposed to feel at all. I wonder if the book had more clues to these character flaws throughout the story? My son did recommend reading the book first, I should have listened!
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

World War Z... I read the book, this wasn't the book. They tried to throw in a few things from the book like the wall around Israel, but it turned into just another action flick. I missed getting the stories from all who went through the war, but all we pretty much got was Brad Pitt's character's side. It was an okay, but not anything I want to see again (and I like zombie movies).
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread