+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Jack Reacher - I tend not to like Tom Cruise movies anymore, but I really did enjoy this one. Good mix of action and plot.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

The Reluctant Fundamentalist A young Pakistani man is chasing corporate success on Wall Street. He finds himself embroiled in a conflict between his American Dream, a hostage crisis, and the enduring call of his family's homeland.
    This movie made me feel sad . It wasn't the best movie, but I would recommend seeing it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Frankenstein's Army... WWII, Nazis, Russian Army and Dr. Frankenstein creating a super army. It was cheesy, it was silly, but it was rather fun.

We also watched Rosemary's Baby. Love that movie. We recently read the book for book club and I didn't recall ever seeing the whole thing at once. I really enjoyed it. Mia Farrow was stunning.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Side Effects - The IMDB description says "A young woman's world unravels when a drug prescribed by her psychiatrist has unexpected side effects." And the Netflix description is "Emily copes with her depression by taking antidepressant medication. But when her dire state apparently spirals out of control due to her husband's prison release, she turns to a new medication that alters her life forever."

These are really terrible descriptions and I think people could go into this movie with inaccurate expectations, but I also don't think I can correct it without giving away the direction of the plot. Maybe that is the point of these synopses? In spite of these descriptions, I think my expectations were about right. The downfall for me was that there was never an "Ah ha!" kind of moment/twist that really surprised me. I want to compare to another movie that I thought executed a similar idea better, but I'll put it in spoilers so I don't give away the premise for anyone who doesn't want to know...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Back in 1991, the movie Ricochet (Denzel Washington, John Lithgow) involved the idea of a protagonist setting up the main character in a way that made it look like he had done terrible things. However, I thought Ricochet did a much better job executing the concept.

Watched the latest version of Total Recall with Colin Farrell. Meh. It was well done visually but the leads just sorta fell flat for me.

Also The Brass Teapot, about a young broke couple who find a magical brass teapot that spits out money - but at a price. Pretty predictable as far as where the story was going, but overall not bad. Nice soundtrack.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I rented a Masterpiece Theater adaptation of Great Expectations from 1999. I was very surprised to see Miss Havisham played by Charlotte Rampling, who has recently been playing Dr. Evelyn Vogel in the last season of Dexter. When I saw her on Dexter I didn't recognize her, so it was interesting to see her appear in something that I just selected rather randomly on Netflix! As for the adaptation, it was one of those films that made me think I really should just read the book. Even with a 3 hour running time, it felt like the story was rushed and I didn't feel like I was getting a good handle on all of the characters and the nuances of their roles.

I always liked Charlotte Rampling ever since I saw her in Georgy Girl. Still a good looking woman, she was stunning in her younger days. She's worked steadily since the mid 1960's.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I always liked Charlotte Rampling ever since I saw her in Georgy Girl. Still a good looking woman, she was stunning in her younger days. She's worked steadily since the mid 1960's.
    Oh gosh, yes, very stunning woman. She also played Anne Boleyn in the British movie "Henry VIII and his 6 Wives", you could only imagine how gorgeous she was in that.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Oh gosh, yes, very stunning woman. She also played Anne Boleyn in the British movie "Henry VIII and his 6 Wives", you could only imagine how gorgeous she was in that.
    Well, I had to look (I liked her Dr. Vogel on Dexter). Wow. I showed the husband, who is hard to impress, and got a wide-eyed "holy crap" from him.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Stoker - Wow. I can't remember a movie recently that I had more mixed feelings about. I had a suspicion going in that there was going to be some weird triangle between a deceased man's brother, widow, and daughter. Which is just wrong from the get-go. On the one hand, it was deeply disturbing. And not in a cool/interesting way, but in a completely skeevy way. On the other hand, by the end of the film I found the turn it took rather interesting and thought it tied back into some stuff from earlier in the movie in an interesting manner.

On a side note: I will no longer be able to watch anything involving Dylan McDermott or Dermot Mulroney without thinking about the SNL "America's most difficult game show" skit (embedded here)...
    "Dylan McDermott or Dermot Mulroney?" 'SNL' Game Show (VIDEO) - 2012 "Saturday Night Live" | Gossip Cop

Based on some of these comments, I'm going to have to go back and check out some older stuff with Charlotte Rampling. Even as an older woman she is striking, so I can imagine that she would have been even more stunning in her prime!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 09-25-2013 at 10:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread