+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

This is 40 - It had some funny moments, but not my favorite movie. Opening with a gratuitous scene of sex in the shower wasn't a good start for me. It just prepared me for a movie that was going to be raunchier than I cared for. I didn't think the mom was very likeable. The moments where the parents were screaming at or saying terrible things to their kids really turned me off. Maybe they were trying to go for a more exaggerated view of what life is really like for comedic purposes, but I just don't find that kind of thing funny - ever. Maybe the issues the movie was trying to deal with were just things that I personally have a hard time finding funny.

Won't Back Down - This film didn't seem like it got much attention. I was surprised at just how many big names were in the cast. The premise is that a poor woman's daughter is stuck in a failing school and she bands together with a teacher to try to change things. I thought the acting was good and the film did a good job of walking the line when it came to unions. It had a good balance of union pros and cons covered. The core of the story is inspiring, but overall I thought the movie fell flat. It just didn't come together in a way that really made me care about the characters.

Mud. I didn't like it, it seemed very hollow with a drab ending
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Safety Not Guaranteed - quirky and fun tale about reporters investigating an ad for a time travel partner. I thought he was just imagining it all until the end...

Twilight: Breaking Dawn - part 22 or whatever the last one is. I only watched because I've seen the rest. Happy endings for all!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Now You See Me - Fun movie, but I was kind of disappointed that so much of the film was focused on the cop character. I wanted more of the magicians.

Oblivion - I liked this one more than I thought I would. The story and the twists it took were interesting and kept me wanting to see where the story was going to go. Really my only complaint is that it could have used a LOT more Nikolaj Coster-Waldau!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Now You See Me - Fun movie, but I was kind of disappointed that so much of the film was focused on the cop character. I wanted more of the magicians.
    I didn't even know Mark Ruffalo was in the movie until I was actually watching it, and he got the lion's share of screen time. The trailers were very misleading. Overall, though, I enjoyed it.

Question for those who have seen it (in spoilers for those who haven't) -
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Was the extra bit in the middle of the credits a tease for a part 2? They got another set of cards for this "eye of horus" thing? I found it a bit confusing.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I also watched Oblivions and Now You See Me this weekend.

I really enjoyed Now You See Me. I did figure it out before the big reveal, but only just. I kept changing my mind about who was behind it all for most of the movie. Very entertaining for me. I also wondered whether they were teasing about a possible sequel and from what I'm reading online, one is in the works with production to start in 2014.

Oblivion was okay and better that I expected. Nothing great, but a pleasant couple of hours' entertainment.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I loved Now you see me but then I have thing for Jesse Eisenberg. I have no idea why, I just love him
    -Andy Rooney-

I used to like Jesse Eisenberg and then I saw a video of him being a total jerk (and that's not the world I really want to use) to a young reporter in a junket interview for Now You See Me. His career is far too new to be acting like a douchebag, especially when those interviews are a part of his job description. It's not like she waylaid him on the street and started peppering him with questions.

I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard good things and still want to see it. There are some celebs whose personal behavior affects my opinion about them professionally, but many times I'm able to separate the two things. I mean, I didn't imagine that JE was a total sweetheart IRL.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just love him in a movie, what he does( like so many actors) in between , after, meh, cant say I care
    I loved him in The Social Network-
    -Andy Rooney-

Star Trek: Into Darkness
    First background on my perspective: I was never a big watcher of original Star Trek, but my dad was and I know enough of it that I wasn't wild about the idea of re-booting the movies with different actors in these roles. The first film was okay, but I wasn't wowed and I wasn't sure about the big changes to the story of that universe.

Now my thoughts: I was surprised just how much I enjoyed this movie! It was well paced, the story was good, and it was beautifully filmed. I thought all of the main actors grew into their roles a bit since the last film. I had forgotten that Benedict Cumberbatch was going to be in it and he was every bit as FANTASTIC as I expected him to be! As a poster mentioned in another thread, I thought it was a little bizarre that the female science officer had a British accent when her dad did not. I liked the little nods to the past, like when they were going down to Kronos and Kirk was commenting that the "red shirts" needed to change their clothes because they were too conspicuous, and the reference I included in the spoiler below. I'm putting the next bit in spoiler tags for people who haven't watched yet...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I couldn't get too worked up over the scene when Kirk was dying in the reactor because I completely saw where that was going. After he died, when Spock yelled "Khaaaaaaan", I burst out laughing. My husband thought I was a bit crazy, but clearly he doesn't remember the parallel (and reversed) scene from Wrath of Khan!

+ Reply to Thread