+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    Actually both, the "heroine" who was on actual heroin.

Cloud Atlas - Hmm. This movie was beautiful to watch, and the stories were interesting. It seemed to have all the pieces that would make me really like a film. However, although I enjoyed it, it still felt like there was something missing that would have kept me riveted to it. I paused multiple times to move laundry, get a snack, etc. Things that wouldn't have pulled me away if I was REALLY into a movie. Part of me thinks that it felt like it was trying too hard to be "deep". Some of the stories seemed to have a more obvious connection than others, which made it feel slightly inconsistent.

Searching for Sugarman - Very interesting documentary about the American singer/songwriter Rodriguez who recorded in the early 70s and who is generally completely unknown in the US, but had a huge influence in South Africa. There were apparently numerous "urban legend" type stories about what happened to him, so a couple of people decided to figure out the truth. It is a documentary and a bit of a mystery. If you are interested, I recommend NOT looking into this guy before you watch the film. It was fascinating the way the story unfolded in the movie, very well done. I definitely recommend this one, it was excellent!

Chasing Ice - Another documentary about a photographer/environmentalist who recorded time lapse images of receding glaciers over a period of a few years. IMO, it is hard to argue with this kind of evidence. The photography was gorgeous and the message was about what you expect, but the photographic evidence was definitely dramatic! Some of the major calving events they recorded were phenomenal and so huge in scale that it was hard to wrap my brain around it! They seemed to try to add some suspense into it with questions like "are the cameras going to work?" and "is this guy going to be able to complete the project?" and (IMO) that part didn't really work and felt superfluous. However, this film was worth watching for the photography alone.

Mud - I knew nothing more than the synopsis on the Netflix sleeve going into this one. I had never even seen a trailer for it. It stars Matthew McConaughey as a stranger that some kids encounter on a river island in the south. The kids get caught up in his situation (I'll just leave it at that so as not to give anything away). I found it to be much less about the character Mud, and much more a "coming of age" story about the main character (one of the boys who found Mud on the island). I really enjoyed this movie. The story was well paced and there were several interesting characters whose stories were rolled out over the course of the film. I was surprised when Reese Witherspoon showed up, and also that they could make McConaughey surprisingly unattractive with some fake teeth and dirt.

We just watched Mud this weekend too - excellent film. The boy who played Ellis was terrific!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Admission - This is the comedy where Tina Fey plays a Princeton admissions officer and Paul Rud runs a kind of alternative high school. Paul Rud is hit-or-miss for me because I think he's funny, but he does a lot of movies that I don't find funny at all - usually because they are too slapstick or too raunchy for me. However, I really enjoyed this one! I liked the chemistry between Rud and Fey. I think I actually liked it more than my 18 year old. I think this movie is more relatable to parents with kids going to college than it is for older teens. I was surprised to see Lily Tomlin, but I loved her character - she was too funny!

Finally got around to A Late Quartet - just wonderful! I know many other posters here enjoyed it as well. Really lovely.

The Giant Mechanical Man - sweet indie with Jenna Fischer and Chris Messina, as well as Malin Ackerman and Topher Grace. Really nice story of two people trying to find themselves. Predictable, but I didn't care because the journey was so much fun. Really good chemistry between the two leads. I highly recommend it. There's a trailer on the imdb page: The Giant Mechanical Man (2012) - IMDb

I also watched The Decoy Bride for the second time because, you know, David Tennant and Kelly Macdonald.

Struck By Lightning - starring and written by Chris Colfer. I didn't love it, but I was surprised at how much I liked it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Adding The Decoy Bride to the rental list - love Kelly MacDonald and it sounds cute.
    Critical likes this.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

The Host - I had hoped I would enjoy this film more than I did the book. I thought the book had an interesting premise, but found it unnecessarily long. I thought that cutting it down might improve the pace of the story. Unfortunately the movie was not good. The acting was lacking, the execution of the internal monologue between Melanie and Wanda was rather annoying, the chemistry in the "love triangle" and the internal conflict between Melanie and Wanda with respect to the men did not come across effectively.

42 - This is the baseball movie about Jackie Robinson. I like a heartwarming sports movie. However, I don't like baseball so this film had that aspect to overcome from the outset. I thought the acting was very good. The story was interesting since I knew nothing about the process of how Jackie Robinson was brought into major league baseball. However, overall I just thought the film was okay. I have seen much better sports films over the years. Going in I also expected that the film would cover more of his career, rather than just the first season and the events leading up to it.

FORT Fogey

We rented Ruby Sparks over the weekend. It had a lot more depth than I was expecting. I really enjoyed it!

Snow White and the Huntsman - It was okay. KStew continues to prove she has one acting face. Charlize OWNED the part of the evil queen. The visuals were pretty good but the dwarves were underused. I also didn't like how it was "left open" for a sequel (although the affair scandal may have kiboshed that). I would have to say I didn't like this as a movie, but I loved Charlize in this movie, if that makes sense.

Oblivion - This is the post-apocalyptic Tom Cruise movie released earlier this year. I guess this movie didn't do too well in theaters but I don't know why. I really liked it. The scenery, effects, etc. were really well done. It was good sci-fi and had interesting plot twists.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    We rented Ruby Sparks over the weekend. It had a lot more depth than I was expecting. I really enjoyed it!
    Neat, I will have to see that!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread