+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Sliding Doors just went on my Next-Time-I-Rent list.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies
    Sorry for my ignorance - is the thinking that one must watch the extended version of the first movie (obviously since you said it is releasing in the Fall) before viewing the second movie?
    Sorry for my late response... forgot for a minute there.

It's just a money making ploy, I'll explain. The regular part one comes out in theatres. They release the dvd shortly thereafter. They also make an extended edition dvd (extra 30 minutes of the story or whatever) that they release waaaaaay later than the regular dvd. Those who watched the movie in theatres and told themselves that they will wait to buy the extended edition won't be able to wait that long and they'll end up buying both of the dvds (regular and extended) in the long run.

No need to watch the extended edition before part 2. The regular versions (shown in theatres) stand on their own. The extended editions are for super nerd fans like myself who think 3 hours of Tolkien on screen aren't enough. I own the extended editions of LOTR's, love them better than the shorter ones.

Broken City - I love Mark Wahlberg, maybe because I always wanted to be part of the "Funky Bunch" growing up, but I pretty much will see any movie he is in... Sadly this one was ehhhhh. It could have been better, but it wasn't.

Safe Haven - It was alright... I am not convinced of Julianne Hough's acting but I've always enjoyed Josh Duhamel back from his early days as Leo on All My Children. It was ok, I was surprised by the ending, so it wasn't a total letdown.

Les Misérables Figured I'd save the best for last. I was blown away by this. I saw the musical in London years ago and sad to say I don't remember it at all. So I prepared myself as I am off this week on vacation, and curled up on the couch with some fruit punch and Rolo's with no distractions and took it all in. I sobbed like a baby, this was a magnificent film. Hugh Jackman, there are no words, he was perfect in the role and why the Oscars don't have a separate category for things like this, I don't get it. He is truly a beast of an actor. Amazing. I am not a fan of Anne Hathaway, I don't know when or where I started disliking her, but it just creeped up on me. Thankfully my distaste for her did not cloud my feelings that she did an outstanding job. She deserved the Oscar, as I am sure she agrees with me. I didn't mind Russell Crowe, he was fine. The one performance that took me by surprise was Eddie Redmayne as Marius... Where did he come from? Very convincing and thought he knocked it out of the park. As a whole I really have to say this was filmmaking at it's best. The story is so incredible and cannot say enough good things about this masterpiece.
    Florimel likes this.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    Sorry for my late response... forgot for a minute there.

It's just a money making ploy, I'll explain. The regular part one comes out in theatres. They release the dvd shortly thereafter. They also make an extended edition dvd (extra 30 minutes of the story or whatever) that they release waaaaaay later than the regular dvd. Those who watched the movie in theatres and told themselves that they will wait to buy the extended edition won't be able to wait that long and they'll end up buying both of the dvds (regular and extended) in the long run.

No need to watch the extended edition before part 2. The regular versions (shown in theatres) stand on their own. The extended editions are for super nerd fans like myself who think 3 hours of Tolkien on screen aren't enough. I own the extended editions of LOTR's, love them better than the shorter ones.
    I, too, own the extended versions of the LOTR and I love them, but I never even considered buying the shorter versions. I'm sure I'll do the same with this series. I'm not impatient enough to be ripped off like that. I'll just rent the original versions from Netflix or Amazon or Vudu.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Side Effects : Not a bad movie for a cheap rental. It was nothing like I thought it would be
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

After it sat by my TV for *mumblemumble* weeks, I finally watched Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and LOVED it. I'm a fan of both Emily Blunt and Ewan MacGregor, but I wasn't expecting to like the move as much as I did. I was just completely charmed. I put it in the sleeve to mail back to Netflix, but then I opened it back up to watch again!
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I loved Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. It was so much better than I had anticipated.
    Shoepie and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Silver Lining Playbook was not as good as I was expecting, for me. I have a friend who is bi polar and acts nuts at times so I did not see the humor that others probably did. Great cast though!

Rise of the Guardians - animated cuteness, I thought it was pretty creative. Santa's little elves cracked me up.

Looper - I don't really get his reasoning for what he did at the end, but a good movie regardless. Gordon-Levitt did a particularly good job of mimicking Bruce Willis' expressions.

And I finally watched Magic Mike. Better than I thought it would be. Channing can really dance!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

The Raven - An interesting concept and pretty good mystery. Luke Evans is awesome. John Cusack is horribly miscast. He looks like he's trying to be Nicolas Cage in this movie. Maybe that's who they initially wanted. I don't know. I do think JC was the weakest part of the whole movie.

Total Recall (2012) - I enjoyed this movie more than I was expecting to. I think the whole thing would have worked a lot better if they didn't do it like a re-make. It stood just fine on it's own. They should have had new/different character names and positioned it as a sequel or prequel or maybe even like the Crow movies where they do the same concept but in different locations/different plots. Plus, the idea of The Fall was super-cool.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

+ Reply to Thread