+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    We watched The Impossible over the weekend. Great film, quite harrowing... amazing camera work. I knew the tsunami was horrible but this gave me a close up view of just how bad it was.
    We watched it as well, I don't know how any one survived
    I was hoping they would update us at the end
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    We watched it as well, I don't know how any one survived
    I was hoping they would update us at the end
    An update would have been nice, though I did go online and look it up.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I watched Les Miserables last night and loved it.

I've seen it a couple of times in the theater and it's always been a favorite of mine. Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway as Valjean and Fantine were outstanding, and Daniel Huttlestone, who played the little boy, Gavroche was superb. He really touched my heart.

There were a few bad casting choices in my opinion. One was Russell Crowe, who acted the part well and who can sing, which he's been doing for year. But the role of Javert calls for an operatic basso profundo. That's the way it's been cast in every production I've seen and it adds so much to the character to hear that booming bass voice. My other disappointment was Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter as the innkeepers. I'm not saying they did a bad job, but those characters are meant to be very heavy and blustery people, not thin and in good shape.

Nevertheless, I love the story and this film. It's not often we get an opera in English.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I actually bought Les Miserables , we love it that much. We also see it again( live theater) in July
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I watched The Impossible last night. It was very well done -- a little graphic and gruesome for my comfort zone, but understandably so. All of the young children were excellent in their roles, and it was a treat to see Geraldine Chaplin as the old woman. I know she still works regularly, but I think mostly in Europe now. Anyone remember her as Tonya in Dr. Zhivago?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I felt exactly the same way about this film!

Moonrise Kingdom - Ways to describe this movie: weird, random, funny, unusual, silly, strange, endearing, out of the box. For a movie I had never heard of, it has a bunch of famous actors: Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Francis McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman. It is about a couple of young kids who decide they are in love and are going to run away together (the boy is 12, we are not told what age the girl is but my assumption was that she was close to the same age). The people on the island where they live start searching to find them. If you like very unusual indie movies, then you should give this a chance. I really enjoyed it and thought that the randomness of the film was really funny. I watched it with my 17 year old son and he LOVED it!!

The trailer is a pretty indicative of the film, so if you think it looks fun you should definitely watch! If you think it looks dumb you should definitely not!
    Moonrise Kingdom Official Trailer #1 - Wes Anderson Movie (2012) HD - YouTube
    Thanks. I put this on my netflix queue.

One of my top 10 movies of all time is Sliding Doors. Two parallel stories of the same woman (Gwynth Paltrow). In one she catches the train and in the other misses it. I would advise you not to read any synopsis as it will give away too much.

Descadants is excellent. Another in my top 10.

We just got back from a 7 day Princess Cruise of the California Coast and there was one of those classic British comedic films that I love so much on the ship's TV . It was Undertaking Betty (also called Plots with a View). It was really great and I watched it a couple of tmes. Happily it is available for streaming on Netflix. It stars Alfred Molina, Chris Walkin and wonderful Brittish actress, Brenda Blethlin. After watching, you can see why Princess would run this film.

I'll also agree with the rave reviews upthread for The Impossible and Moonrse Kingdom.

FORT Fogey

Shoepie, I totally agree with you about Sliding Doors. It's a GREAT movie! I just recently watched it again on a rainy weekend. It's one of those movies I love every time I see it, then forget about it, and when it pops into my mind, I'm entertained all over again. I mentioned it on the "films you've watched" thread, but since we rented it, I'll also mention here that over the weekend my husband and I watched The Intouchables, and it was absolutely fantastic. It's a French film, with subtitles, which caused us both to put off watching it for a while. I'm so glad we got over that! It's the story of a man who lives in the slums of Paris, who ends up getting a job as a caregiver for a quadrapalegic millionaire. Each of them has an impact on the other's life as the story unfolds. The two main actors were very charismatic and I was so taken by them that i didn't mind having to read everything they said. I'm shocked that this movie didn't get a little more buzz. But it's available in the DVDs for Netflix, and also on iTunes for rent. I highly recommend it!

ACookerTV, thanks for heads up on Understanding Betty. I didn't know of this film. It has a great cast and I've added it to my streaming queue.

Please count me among those who enjoyed Sliding Doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I watched The Impossible last night. It was very well done -- a little graphic and gruesome for my comfort zone, but understandably so. All of the young children were excellent in their roles, and it was a treat to see Geraldine Chaplin as the old woman. I know she still works regularly, but I think mostly in Europe now. Anyone remember her as Tonya in Dr. Zhivago?
    I remember her! She was good, but it was almost a cameo. Would have liked to see her role expanded a bit more.

Count me in as a Sliding Doors fan. Wonderful movie.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread