+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey. I'm still humming the Shire theme - I want to live there. It was interesting how they wove the pre-beginning of the first LOTR movie into the first of this movie. It was jarring, though, to see Frodo taller and older as he helps prepare for Bilbo's birthday party. Now, I can't wait for the other movies to answer questions like why was there only one dwarf standing in LOTR and what happened that their city was deserted?

I haven't read the book (The Hobbit) so my only reference is the LOTR first movie. I'm curious how Bilbo's adventure weaves into that movie.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Django
    QT has a wild mind.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Killer Joe - Matthew McConaughey can really play a creep when he wants to. Odd, violent little movie. We're still debating whether she pulled the trigger at the end...

Seven Psychopaths - Sam Rockwell was awesome, as was Christopher Walken. And I even liked Colin Farrell for a change!
    AJane likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Another question about Hobbit...was Saurin CGI? When he joined the merry band in Riverdell, he had almost a painted look about him, not flesh and blood.

My last dream image upon waking this morning was from the last scene in the movie with a Warg, jaws agape, leaping at me. When is the next one due out?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Hermingway and Gellhorn. I thought this HBO film was very well done. Excellent performances by Clive Owen and Nicole Kidman, also David Straithan as John Dos Passos and a couple of nice cameos by Joan Chen and Tony Shaloub.

Like most of the know universe, I new a lot about Hermingway, but though I knew Martha Gellhorn's name, I didn't know much about her at all. I'm sure they took some liberties with the story, but I loved how to interwove the performances with real archive footage.
    Shoepie and SpringMaiden27 like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

We rented Parental Guidance. It was pretty good for a family movie. Not great, but not many movies are these days.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Django
    QT has a wild mind.
    I have it to watch.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Another question about Hobbit...was Saurin CGI? When he joined the merry band in Riverdell, he had almost a painted look about him, not flesh and blood.

My last dream image upon waking this morning was from the last scene in the movie with a Warg, jaws agape, leaping at me. When is the next one due out?
    I think you mean Saruman, not Sauron, and I don't think he was CGI, these actors are aging but they want them to look younger, therefore: too much makeup. I found the aging was especially noticeable in Gandalf and Saruman. It was a cute addition that Gandalf told Galadriel she hadn't aged a bit... :p Though, I think you could see the extra years on her as well.

The release date for the next film is mid December of this year. The extended version for the first movie is due out, I believe, in the fall.

Thanks for that. I thought he looked like the Santa Robot in Santa Clause 2, but it must have been the extra makeup. Yes, I did catch the non-aging irony. I hope no one dies before the pre-quels are completed.

Sorry for my ignorance - is the thinking that one must watch the extended version of the first movie (obviously since you said it is releasing in the Fall) before viewing the second movie?

Once again I apologize to those who are immersed in Lord of the Rings mythology. I am a glancer having not read the books as I found them too dense. Then I found the monsters too monstrous in the trilogy. I do love the fantasy aspects and world building Tolkien created as I recognize the difficulty. Stopping now before I dig my hole deeper and miss Middle Earth all together.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 04-25-2013 at 04:53 PM.

We watched The Impossible over the weekend. Great film, quite harrowing... amazing camera work. I knew the tsunami was horrible but this gave me a close up view of just how bad it was.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread