+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

ARGO. I couldn't watch it in one sitting, it was just too tense and brought back the tense emotions here in the U.S. at the time. If you hang on through the credits, they gave the last words to Jimmy Carter, but no mention was made of how Tehran taunted the U.S. by waiting out Carter's presidency and releasing the hostages at the embassy the moment Ronald Reagan took the oath of office.

As a film it deserved the Oscar. The writing was tight and the images - once again shown in the credits - matched with the photos of the time.
    Florimel likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I had three enjoyable experiences this week.

1. Lincoln What can I say? It was outstanding and with great performances by the entire cast. Bravo.

2. Cirque du Soleil This was was a compilation of scenes from several of their shows. This is not only acrobatics, it's art. Took my breath away.

3. Anna Karenina I've seen several versions of this film. My two favorites have been the 1930's one with Greta Garbo and Frederick March and the 1970's PBS miniseries with Nicola Pagett and Eric Porter. I'm not a big fan of Keira Knightley, but this version intrigued me because I found it really different from the others. It seemed highly stylized and more like a series of vignettes rather than a start to finish story. It was an interesting approach.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I had three enjoyable experiences this week.

1. Lincoln What can I say? It was outstanding and with great performances by the entire cast. Bravo.
    Was Daniel Day Lewis not perfection in that film? Wow!
    Florimel likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Zero Dark Thirty. I guess it was good, I feel asleep. I preferred Argo
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Killing Them Softly. What a disappointment after seeing who the cast is (Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini, Ray Liotta, Richard Jenkins). There were a couple good scenes with Pitt & Gandolfini, but all that did was remind me what great actors those guys are even in a piece of crap movie like this one. (Actually, the latter 3 don't get a lot of screen time.) The young guy who plays Frankie was pretty good - I'd like to see him in something better. The plot was shaky and it seemed like a lot of stuff, like character development, was perhaps left in the cutting room. Sorry, Brad Pitt...I usually love everything you're in. Will wait patiently for World War Z now.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Will wait patiently for World War Z now.
    Right behind you in line for that one!

We finally watched Skyfall this weekend. Quite good! I loved the old vs. new theme, and the plentiful shirtless Daniel Craig shots were appreciated (at least on my end of the couch ).
    libgirl2 and AZChristian like this.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar

I'm way behind on movies, but we just saw Rock of Ages....OMG, it was fantastic. Really brought back our younger years. Even DH liked it
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Right behind you in line for that one!

We finally watched Skyfall this weekend. Quite good! I loved the old vs. new theme, and the plentiful shirtless Daniel Craig shots were appreciated (at least on my end of the couch ).
    I'm thinking WWZ will have almost nothing other then zombies in common with the book, which is a family favorite. I just hope it is good regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I'm thinking WWZ will have almost nothing other then zombies in common with the book, which is a family favorite. I just hope it is good regardless.
    I've seen the trailers and you're right, it looks nothing like the book. But - I like that they're giving the zombie apocalypse genre the all-out action blockbuster treatment. I think it may translate into a fun movie - not as gory and gritty as The Walking Dead, but lots of great CGI and FX. I'm looking forward to WWZ not because I loved the book, but because the shot of thousands of zombies scrambling over a giant wall was really freaking cool.
    waywyrd likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I've seen the trailers and you're right, it looks nothing like the book. But - I like that they're giving the zombie apocalypse genre the all-out action blockbuster treatment. I think it may translate into a fun movie - not as gory and gritty as The Walking Dead, but lots of great CGI and FX. I'm looking forward to WWZ not because I loved the book, but because the shot of thousands of zombies scrambling over a giant wall was really freaking cool.
    Oh gosh, yes! That was perhaps the most frightening thing I have ever seen from a movie since The Exorcist. I will still see it and I hope it is really good, even if it isn't the book.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 04-11-2013 at 05:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread