+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 420 FirstFirst ... 30313233343536373839404142434445464748495090140 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Hmmmm...my tastes must be all over the map. On some of the more recently mentioned movies...

Secretary
    Birthday Girl
    Bringing Out The Dead - Eh, it was OK
    Adaptation - Still trying to decide if I liked it
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

oh i really liked secretary as well.

and birthday girl

i'm just like zhora.

don't think i saw bringing out the dead yet - but not rushing to go now.

overall, i liked the good girl - different to be sure - but there was something about it. ah, don't want to give away anything.

greenflute's av reminded me that i LOVED amelie!

Splatty, I liked Amelie so much that I own it.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Me too!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I loved "Adaptation" until the denouement--I know it's supposed to be oh-so-clever that the film turns into every Hollywood cliche that Charlie detests, but I didn't think it worked. That said, I thought that Meryl Streep and Nic Cage turned in great, subtly comic performances, more nuanced than many of the roles they've played in the recent past (I haven't seen "The Hours" yet, though).

Speaking of a fine performance from a veteran actor that is fresh and not "phoned-in", I loved Nicholson in "About Schmidt". Whenever actors become iconic, it's all to easy to become an effigy of oneself. Jack breaks out of being so, well "JACK" to embody the character of Schmidt with honesty, humanity, and pathos. This movie was a revelation, because even though it was an unsentimental, black comedy, it also maintained a deep emotional truth at its core.

Finally, I saw "Frida"--what an excellent film! I have been an admirer of Kahlo's since I read her biography in HS, so I was looking forward to this film. Salma Hayek turns in a courageous performance, doing justice to the rich life of this great Mexican artist. I especially love the way director Julie Taymor makes Frida's paintings literally come to life in the film. Highly recommended!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

i thought nic cage was excellent in adaptation as well and i usually can't stand him.

GF - i own amelie as well!

and i hated maid in manhattan - i'm a sucker for any kind of romantic comedy - no matter how formulaic or mediocre. but this movie was not funny OR romantic. i was kind of hoping it would have ended sooner.

Originally posted by splatty
    and i hated maid in manhattan - i'm a sucker for any kind of romantic comedy - no matter how formulaic or mediocre. but this movie was not funny OR romantic. i was kind of hoping it would have ended sooner.
    I'm feelin' you on this one Splatty, I found MIM totally disappointing, especially for me (b/c I have the big-time hots for Ralph Fiennes)! I'll never have that 90 minutes of my life back!!!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

i rented a truckload of movies this weekend:

25th hour
    a guy thing
    moonlight mile
    old school
    life is beautiful.

if you haven't seen 25th hour with ed norton and barry pepper, i highly recommend it. it's about the 25 hours prior to a man turning himself to serve a 7 year prison sentence. i loved it.

a guy thing was worth watching once, imo. it was humorous enough but kinda lame.

moonlight mile. omg, this movie.... i'm going to have to own it. dustin hoffman, susan sarandon and jake gyllenhaal. i loved it. such a sadness throughout despite everyone's effort not to be sad. great acting.

old school - i honestly think that vince vaughn, luke wilson and will farrell just decided to make a movie together, regardless of not having a script with any semblance of a plot. however, i love these 3 guys and many times the movie had me laughing out loud. it's insane and hysterical... but i'm not sure i'll watch it again. more of a guy movie imho.

and i haven't had time to watch life is beautiful yet. isn't due back until next saturday. i'm also going to rewatch moonlight mile before it's due back.

Originally posted by Paulie
    Watched Secretary last week. It stars my av (James Spader) and a relative unknown named Maggie Gyllenhaal. It was quirky and funny. A dark comedy/drama, I'd say. Spader was his usual excellent self, and Gyllenhaal was a revelation. It's an unusual story, to be sure, and it's probably not for everyone, but my wife and I really enjoyed it.
    i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED this movie. i'll definitely be adding it to my dvd collection.

then again, i've known some people prone to this type of lifestyle. interesting indeed.

I just watched this movie called Rip It Off. I rented it because it had Alyson Hannigan, but I'd never heard of it before I saw it at Blockbuster. It wasn't very good. It was a different kind of role for Alyson...most definitely!

+ Reply to Thread