+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

I watched "Earth Made of Glass," on HBO. What a beautifully done documentary. It's about the Rwandan genocide, yet while it's got just enough of the politics to make you understand what happened, it's mostly about grown son still trying to find his father's body 15 years after his family was murdered. It's good filmmaking with the unspoken moments speak volumes.

I also watched "American Winter," which documents the lives of unemployed families in Oregon, because it was getting such good reviews. Maybe people are praising it for its political point of view, which I happen to agree with. But its storytelling was hamfisted, emotionally manipulative, and at times it even seemed like the subjects were coached on what to say. They were very aware of the cameras, and always driving their message home. I don't know ... I'd be curious to see if anybody else here saw it.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Thanks for the movie tip for "Earth Made of Glass'. I went to Rwanda last year and am always interested to learn more about the country. When I was there they said that they find remains every day and that the tensions have only been buried and not demolished. It was a very moving and scary experience.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

The Hobbit was kind of boring... Gollum was the best thing in it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The Bourne Legacy with Jeremy Renner. I really enjoyed it. I liked the Matt Damon Bourne movies, so I wasn't sure about this one, but I liked it a lot. I'm a fan of Jeremy Renner and I really like Rachel Weisz. I thought they made a good pair.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

I thought The Bourne Legacy was boring. I wonder if they're going to make any sequels.

Last movie was This is 40. Meh. It meandered a lot and it seemed like there were a lot of "oh look how cute/outrageous/precocious they are" scenes involving the kids. I think the director was being indulgent as they are his kids in real life. But Paul Rudd is still as cute as he was in Clueless.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

They're definitely making a sequel. There's word that Matt Damon wants to be involved. Nothing like finding out you can be successfully replaced to motivate you!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The Bourne Legacy with Jeremy Renner- we liked this very much
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Killer Joe - I find myself liking Matthew McConaughey when he does anything that's not a rom-com. This movie is nasty, vicious and disturbing, with a couple of terrifically violent scenes. All the performances were fabulous - I thought Emile Hirsch was a real standout, and I was impressed with Juno Temple, who I was completely unfamiliar with. Thomas Haden Church is great as usual, and I've always liked Gina Gershon. I can't recommend a movie this cruel, but it definitely kept my full attention.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

The thing about the Bourne Legacy is that we learned Jason Bourne is alive and kicking somewhere under the radar. I can see that character with the Renner character teaming up in a sequel It would be...wait for it...awesome.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I did read that Matt Damon is interested in participating in a sequel.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread