+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Safety Not Guaranteed - A journalist and two interns go on a trip to investigate a guy who put an ad out asking for a person to help him with a time travel project. It is not sci-fi or anything, it is more of a character driven film following some developments with the main group of characters. There were a few funny lines, but I didn't find the characters very likable. There was one relationship that I think was supposed to be endearing, but I found it mostly creepy. It was okay at best.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower - I really enjoyed this movie. Also a character driven film, but with interesting characters that I wanted to know more about. This is the second film I have seen with Ezra Miller (the first was We Need to Talk About Kevin) and so far he strikes me as a very talented actor. I look forward to seeing him in the future.

I watched Hysteria this weekend. I wasn't sure whether I'd like it or not, but it turned out to be quite good. It also had a couple of excellent special features about the history of the vibrator even up through the present day. Cast included Hugh Dancy, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jonathan Pryce, Rupert Everett, and even a cameo by Gemma Jones, whose work I've loved for decades.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Ah, Gemma Jones. She made a musical version of Shop Around the Corner for PBS about 25 years ago and every so often I go looking for it. I can't even remember the name, now...but one of the songs was "Ice Cream...he brought me ice cream." It had comedic villains and Disney worthy love interest leads. I would love to see it again.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Ah, Gemma Jones. She made a musical version of Shop Around the Corner for PBS about 25 years ago and every so often I go looking for it. I can't even remember the name, now...but one of the songs was "Ice Cream...he brought me ice cream." It had comedic villains and Disney worthy love interest leads. I would love to see it again.
    If I catch her name in anything, that's enough of a draw for me to watch. I guess a lot of people know her as Madame Pomfrey (Harry Potter movies), but I remember first taking notice of her talent in the British tv series, The Duchess of Duke Street. I just rewatched that not so long ago. I think I found it on Netflix by mail.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I finally re-discovered the name. It was a PBS production of the musical, She Loves Me. However, it is not listed with Netflix or Amazon. It was a filmed adaptation of the Broadway musical from 1964, which was revived in the early 1990s for Broadway.

I think I saw it on TV sometime between 1978 and 1982.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Last night I watched The Last Quartet starring Christopher Walken, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and Catherine Keener. It is a quite film about a string quartet whose oldest member is diagnosed with Parkinsons. It touched my heart and the music was wonderful..

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Last night I watched The Last Quartet starring Christopher Walken, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and Catherine Keener. It is a quite film about a string quartet whose oldest member is diagnosed with Parkinsons. It touched my heart and the music was wonderful..
    I hope to rent this on Saturday. I love love love the cast.I am so glad you enjoyed it
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    We watched it tonight. The music was wonderful.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I finally watched the latest Twilight movie and OMG, so bad. I don't mean the story. Obviously, it is what it is. I've read the book, I know the deal there. I'm talking about the production value and the horrid special effects and makeup. As if that creepy baby/child wasn't bad enough, there's hardly a character in the movie whose makeup wasn't so bad as to be distracting. I've gotten over the beyond fake looking wolves, but all of the other special effects were even worse. Those movies have a HUGE budget - at least the later ones - so why not spend a little more to make the effects realistic?

I went looking on Netflix for The Last Quartet to no avail. In case anyone else is stymied in their search as well, it's actually A Late Quartet Just put it in my queue.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Arrgh. You're so right, Critical, about A Late Quartet. I apologize for my slip of the fingers.

+ Reply to Thread