+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    We watched Looper the other night and while it wasn't nearly as good as I expected, Joseph Gordon-Levitt wowed me. I think he nailed Bruce Willis' tics and mannerisms. As for the actual storyline I was expecting more.
    We also watched Looper and thought JGL did a GREAT job adapting to Bruce Willis' style. There was NO work done in the other direction!
    I liked the story. There were definitely some holes, but it was entertaining and it was not entirely what I expected.

Premium Rush - Joseph Gordon-Levitt as a bike delivery guy in NYC who picks up a delivery that gets him entangled with some bad guys. There were some cool bike tricks, but the story and dialogue were lacking and (aside from JGL) the acting was not very good.

The Dark Knight Rises - Apparently it was Joseph Gordon-Levitt week in my house since this movie features him as well. I'm not a huge fan of this franchise and Christian Bale's gravely Batman voice annoys me a lot. I decided to watch this one after hearing some good reviews. It was waaaaaay too long. IMO there were many places where the runtime could have been trimmed without being detrimental to the story. There was one twist in the plot that I didn't see coming, but that moment didn't really make up for the fact that I was bored through most of the movie. Near the end there was a cop on a bridge yelling at JGL. When they finally showed his face I yelled "It's Quinn from Dexter!!!" That may have been the most excited I got in this movie!

The Lincoln Lawyer - I didn't really know what to expect from this one. It wasn't the best movie ever, but the story had some interesting turns and it was entertaining.

Pina - I was expecting a documentary about the dance company created by Pina Bausch and the work done by that company. When I went back and re-read the synopsis it called this movie a "performance documentary". I didn't realize there was a difference, but I get it now. This movie was nearly all dance with a tiny spatter of commentary from the dancers regarding how they felt about Pina. The modern style of dance was not really my thing and some of it was really weird. At some point it became so odd that I kept watching just to see what was going to happen next. I found the dancing in the latter half of the movie much more interesting than the stuff at the beginning. I nearly stopped watching during the "Cafe Muller" segment. My biggest frustration is that I didn't learn anything from this film. I want to leave a documentary knowing something more about the topic than when the movie started. The only thing I learned was from the Internet search I did during the movie. They didn't teach me about this woman who apparently founded a new way of doing choreography and was quite controversial. I don't know anything about modern dance and I probably would have found the performances more interesting if I knew what the heck the story was or the point they were trying to make.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-22-2013 at 12:47 PM.

The Dark Knight Rises - good, but not great. Of course, The Dark Knight set the bar really high. It was also REALLY long. A bit more editing might have made it "tighter."

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - UGH. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I really enjoyed it. Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner were excellent and I probably would not have liked the movie as much without them, but I have to admit that Tom Cruise was very good. I'm not a big fan, but he's really good as Ethan Hunt.

Centre Place - a little Australian rom-com set in Melbourne about what happens to a woman when her boyfriend dumps her just before they are set to move to Paris and she finds herself homeless as well. Pretty predictable, but cute.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - UGH. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I really enjoyed it. Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner were excellent and I probably would not have liked the movie as much without them, but I have to admit that Tom Cruise was very good. I'm not a big fan, but he's really good as Ethan Hunt.
    I felt exactly the same way about this film!

Moonrise Kingdom - Ways to describe this movie: weird, random, funny, unusual, silly, strange, endearing, out of the box. For a movie I had never heard of, it has a bunch of famous actors: Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Francis McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman. It is about a couple of young kids who decide they are in love and are going to run away together (the boy is 12, we are not told what age the girl is but my assumption was that she was close to the same age). The people on the island where they live start searching to find them. If you like very unusual indie movies, then you should give this a chance. I really enjoyed it and thought that the randomness of the film was really funny. I watched it with my 17 year old son and he LOVED it!!

The trailer is a pretty indicative of the film, so if you think it looks fun you should definitely watch! If you think it looks dumb you should definitely not!
    Moonrise Kingdom Official Trailer #1 - Wes Anderson Movie (2012) HD - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I felt exactly the same way about this film!

Moonrise Kingdom - Ways to describe this movie: weird, random, funny, unusual, silly, strange, endearing, out of the box. For a movie I had never heard of, it has a bunch of famous actors: Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Francis McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Jason Schwartzman. It is about a couple of young kids who decide they are in love and are going to run away together (the boy is 12, we are not told what age the girl is but my assumption was that she was close to the same age). The people on the island where they live start searching to find them. If you like very unusual indie movies, then you should give this a chance. I really enjoyed it and thought that the randomness of the film was really funny. I watched it with my 17 year old son and he LOVED it!!

The trailer is a pretty indicative of the film, so if you think it looks fun you should definitely watch! If you think it looks dumb you should definitely not!
    Moonrise Kingdom Official Trailer #1 - Wes Anderson Movie (2012) HD - YouTube
    Loved the trailer...placed it in my Netflix queue.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I thought Moonrise Kingdom was adorable.

So, I can't believe I'm going to put this on the interwebZ for all eternity but here it is - I watched That's My Boy last night on Starz and laughed my fracking a$$ off. Best Adam Sandler movie in years. It's sort of like Happy Gilmore + The Wedding Singer. Tons of awesome 80s hair metal music and pop culture references.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - loved it! Fine acting all around.

Chronicle - three high school boys gain superpowers after stumbling into an underground passage. It was actually pretty interesting at first, then got weird towards the end.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Last Movies You Have Rented

Ted - Normally my son has good taste in movies, but this recommendation makes me question it a bit. It was not good. I don't think I got a single laugh out of this film.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - loved it! Fine acting all around.

Chronicle - three high school boys gain superpowers after stumbling into an underground passage. It was actually pretty interesting at first, then got weird towards the end.
    I loved the first and quit watching about a third of the way through on the second - it was too weird for me even at that point.

I'm currently streaming 24, but I have disc 2 of Fringe's season 1 waiting for me. It seems I'm into TV shows at the moment.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Robot & Frank I found this highly entertaining with a great cast (Frank Langella, Susan Sarandon,James Marsden, Liv Tyler, Peter Sarsgaard); it was fun to watch.

Seven Psychpaths I should have hated this movie. It is extremely violent, and I rarely like or find even mildly funny what is termed "dark comedy." This movie is an exception for me. The violence was mitigated by an understated wit. An outstanding performance by Christopher Walken is never a surprise and the contributions of Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, Colin Farrell, and a few others also shone.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Robot & Frank I found this highly entertaining with a great cast (Frank Langella, Susan Sarandon,James Marsden, Liv Tyler, Peter Sarsgaard); it was fun to watch.

Seven Psychpaths I should have hated this movie. It is extremely violent, and I rarely like or find even mildly funny what is termed "dark comedy." This movie is an exception for me. The violence was mitigated by an understated wit. An outstanding performance by Christopher Walken is never a surprise and the contributions of Sam Rockwell, Woody Harrelson, Colin Farrell, and a few others also shone.
    I just chose Alex Cross over Seven Psychopaths, hmm now I wish I chose that one
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread