+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Finally saw Snow White and the Huntsman. It's apples and oranges to Mirror, Mirror which I really enjoyed. Snow White tells the dark tale and I see some of the story in the Disney-fied Once Upon A Time.

The land becoming dark, the Queen's need for beating hearts and her mother setting up her survival with black magic speaks directly to the show, Once Upon A Time. The brother is different, but, in this case integral to the story. Snow White becomes Joan D'Arc and reclaims her kingdom - not in triumph, but in serious understanding - sort of like the story line with Snow in OUAT right now. I did like the nod to Sanctuary, the fairies' haven, and the animals witnessing her benediction by the White Hart (another nod to Disney's Snow White). The grittiness and the molten mirror, however, are not Disney.

I like the way it ended with her coronation and not a happily ever after Queen takes a Consort.

A movie familiar yet grittier than the TV show I am now watching. I really liked it.

P.S. The Huntsman as her Charming in the true kiss to awaken scene when it should have been the Duke's son is reminiscent of a storyline developing in another TV show - Grimm. The replacement of the intended Prince Charming with a darker other (Romeo and Juliet) is an interesting twist in both the movie and the show.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 11-04-2012 at 05:57 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Tree of Life, with Brad Pitt and Sean Penn. I wanted to like it. I tried to like it. But while much of it was visually gorgeous, the over-long 2001 moments and flaky storyline just put me off. There was a touching story somewhere in all of that weirdness.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I finally watched the first three episodes of Homeland. Since I have one at a time from Netflix, I have to wait for the next disc. Anyway, I've had it on my list forever and finally, out of frustration at its very long wait status, moved it to the top of my queu and VOILA! It was available within two weeks.

I'm hooked. IF the guys hadn't cut expenses and installed the camera/microphone in the garage, there would be no show. Clever way of extending the story. We know...she doesn't for absolute sure even though she says she does. Now I wait for episodes 4-6.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I just watched the delightful Better Than Sex with David Wenham (Farmir of the LOTR movies) and Susie Porter. I'd describe it as an adult rom-com, heavy on the ROM. Very frank abut sex and a good deal of nudity, but really charming and totally different from the usual fare we get here in the states (this one is Australian). The leads were terrific and attractive, but normal person attractive rather than movie star gorgeous, which was refreshing. I'm going to watch this one again before I return it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I finally watched The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and loved it. I'm still thinking about it and its message.

Up next is the Odd Life of Timothy Green. I was surprised I got it so fast from Netflix as it has just been released to DVD. I figure this will be a feel good movie just right for the holidays and my life at this moment.
    Florimel likes this.

We watched a couple this past weekend: Prometheus - I had no idea this was a prequel to Alien until the very end. Duh. Very well done, though.

Also saw The Watch, with Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn and Jonah Hill as goofballs who start a neighborhood watch/beer drinking club, only to find out aliens have invaded the neighborhood. Silly but I did laugh a lot.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

MIB3. I had no idea there was a third film. Did it go straight to DVD? Anyway, I really enjoyed it and the ending made me cry and smile at the same time. I loved the 5dimensional character. IF they make #4, I hope he returns.
    Florimel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    MIB3. I had no idea there was a third film. Did it go straight to DVD? Anyway, I really enjoyed it and the ending made me cry and smile at the same time. I loved the 5dimensional character. IF they make #4, I hope he returns.
    MIB3 was released May 12, 2012 closed September 9, 2012 so aired for over 15 weeks. Was made for $225 million and made $624 million worldwide.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Wow! And I was able to rent it in December without a wait. It was a good movie.

I just watched Looper. Very good movie. Intense and it makes you really think.
    Florimel likes this.
    Ask me to show you poetry in motion, and I will show you a horse.

+ Reply to Thread