+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

RE: Cabin in the Woods
    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    That's too bad. I liked this movie so much that I'm still laughing about it to myself this morning!!

ETA: The one question that popped into my mind last night was this (DO NOT READ if you plan to watch the movie but have not yet!!):
    Click to see Spoiler:
    We clearly learned by the end that the people in the cabin were put there to fulfill the specific roles: whore, athlete, fool, academic, and virgin. So how the heck was a classroom full of young Japanese school girls going to fulfill that quota?? The question left me wishing I could know more about what was taking place in the other countries involved. Did they have their own stereotypical horror genre roles they were trying to fulfill in their own rituals?
    My thought on your question.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    yes it was Japan's version or their "test" if that makes sense but they failed when the girls defeated the spirit

I loved the movie! Yes, it wasn't what I expected but it was so much more!

RE: Silent House
    Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Silent House - wasn't what I thought it would be, and I wish it hadn't been so easy to figure out what was really up early on. Still, not awful, and Elizabeth Olson did a great job of looking terrified/borderline insane the whole time.
    What I loved about Silent House (and we saw it in the theatre) was that the film was shot (or made it seem to be) in one continuous shot. The camera never leaves the scene from room to room, and scene to scene. from when she leaves the house, the car, etc. See it again if you missed this the first time. I loved that and thought they did an awesome job! Plus I jumped and was startled and yes, I "solved" it early on but still an entertaining story.
    waywyrd likes this.

Snow White and the Huntsman
    I was the one that chose this, and I fell asleep I was so bored. I wonder if Mirror Mirror would keep me awake
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Snow White and the Huntsman
    I was the one that chose this, and I fell asleep I was so bored. I wonder if Mirror Mirror would keep me awake
    Don't do it!! I managed to stay awake through Snow White and the Huntsman, but Mirror Mirror was so ridiculous that I fell asleep before the end!!
    In all seriousness they were kind of at opposite ends of the spectrum. Mirror Mirror appeared to be directed toward and much younger audience and my 7 year old daughter enjoyed it. For me the jokes fell flat, the special effects were ho-hum, and the scenery was not good (especially in the woods).

What to Expect When You're Expecting - Meh. It was okay, but the stories were a little too artificially balanced: the adopter, the miscarriage, the easy pregnancy, the difficult pregnancy. The funniest parts were the ones dealing with the dads group. Probably the most annoying bit was that this was a Hollywood-ized world where Elizabeth Banks was supposed to be the "older, dowdier, heavier, struggle with pregnancy" woman. Whatever. :eyeroll

I would watch it with my granddaughter. - otoh maybe there's something else she would like
    thanks for your info
    -Andy Rooney-

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel I found it to be an enjoyable and touching story. I'd be entranced by that cast reading the phone book. - Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Celia Imrie, Penelope Wilton, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel I found it to be an enjoyable and touching story. I'd be entranced by that cast reading the phone book. - Maggie Smith, Judi Dench, Celia Imrie, Penelope Wilton, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson.
    I really loved this movie. The actors looked so real( no botox) great cast
    -Andy Rooney-

I finally watched Magic Mike. The plot was thin and there should have been less talking and more stipping/dancing.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post
    I finally watched Magic Mike. The plot was thin and there should have been less talking and more stipping/dancing.
    I'm going to have to watch this without the husband, he refuses to watch it. The man seriously dislikes Channing Tatum for some reason.

We did watch Absentia. Not what I expected it to be, but creepy nonetheless. Also saw The Descendants with George Clooney...I didn't think I'd like this one, but I very much enjoyed it.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Obama:2016 - Many of my republican friends said I should watch this... I am more middle of the road but some things I am pretty old fashioned and conservative about, but, I fell asleep half way through it and then watched the rest while doing laundry. There were some interesting points if you're into conspiracies... But mostly reminded me of any political documentary that I "didn't get" or maybe just didn't care. I would lump this into some of the Michael Moore movies I've seen that turned me off or that Al Gore movie that made me want the two hours I wasted back. I just don't think in this day and age we will ever see a unbiased policial documentary.

Gone With the Wind - I've only seen bits and parts of it... never sat through the whole movie. Wow really wonderful. The costumes and acting was just terrific. How come they don't make movies like that anymore?

Cabin in the Woods - Boy did they market this movie wrong.. I was expecting something totally different. Really interesting take on the story behind everything. I think I might need to rewatch it again cause I feel like I am missing something... Thought it was good.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    Obama:2016 - Many of my republican friends said I should watch this... I am more middle of the road but some things I am pretty old fashioned and conservative about, but, I fell asleep half way through it and then watched the rest while doing laundry. There were some interesting points if you're into conspiracies... But mostly reminded me of any political documentary that I "didn't get" or maybe just didn't care. I would lump this into some of the Michael Moore movies I've seen that turned me off or that Al Gore movie that made me want the two hours I wasted back. I just don't think in this day and age we will ever see a unbiased policial documentary.

Gone With the Wind - I've only seen bits and parts of it... never sat through the whole movie. Wow really wonderful. The costumes and acting was just terrific. How come they don't make movies like that anymore?

Cabin in the Woods - Boy did they market this movie wrong.. I was expecting something totally different. Really interesting take on the story behind everything. I think I might need to rewatch it again cause I feel like I am missing something... Thought it was good.
    My ultra conservative friend is trying to get everyone to watch the Obama one but I won't bother. I'm not much into conspiracy theories and (usually) lies.

GWTW, I read the book about 10 times as a teenager and saw the movie probably about 5 or 6. The costumes and acting are superb. I think I spent have my teen years re-sketching the dresses! And for a long movie, I never got bored. They don't make them like this anymore because many big budget movies are about action and special effects, the smaller film tell a story but don't quite have the funding to be "epic".

Cabin in the Woods, lots of homages to Evil Dead and other various horror films/stories/authors.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread