+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Got to watch Cabin in the Woods last night - I loved it. Humor, horror, gore, and good writing, my kind of movie! I was wondering the same thing as you about
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the other countries rituals
    ClosetRTWatcher. I wish they had showed a bit more about that, but overall I was happy with it.
    I'm forcing myself not to look at the spoiler...am reading the book (or, rather, the "movie companion") and I can see it's not a typical slasher. Can't wait to finish the book and then see the movie.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    That's too bad. I liked this movie so much that I'm still laughing about it to myself this morning!!

ETA: The one question that popped into my mind last night was this (DO NOT READ if you plan to watch the movie but have not yet!!):
    Click to see Spoiler:
    We clearly learned by the end that the people in the cabin were put there to fulfill the specific roles: whore, athlete, fool, academic, and virgin. So how the heck was a classroom full of young Japanese school girls going to fulfill that quota?? The question left me wishing I could know more about what was taking place in the other countries involved. Did they have their own stereotypical horror genre roles they were trying to fulfill in their own rituals?
    We had the same question and I wasn't fond of

Click to see Spoiler:
    them being children. Young adults, yes, but children, no.

People Like Us was pretty good. Got off to a slow start but the story was really good, the acting was great and honestly, I'll watch anything with Elizabeth Banks and Michele Pfeiffer in it. I would give it a 7 out of 10. The kid in the movie stole quite a few scenes.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Exporting Raymond - Good documentary with some funny moments. it was interesting seeing the cultural differences that caused problems both within the television bureaucracy and with the translation of the scripts. I was surprised that the main guy in the documentary (the creator of Everybody Loves Raymond) was so much like the main character in the show.

The 5 Year Engagement - Decent, but not quite what I expected. The trailers make me expect strictly a comedy. It definitely had funny moments, but there was also a lot of not-so-funny relationship conflict stuff. I'm a fan of dark comedy, but a lot of the darker jokes in this film fell flat for me. I ended up feeling like the movie couldn't quite decide what it wanted to be. The other thing that threw me was that it seemed like this characters were *constantly* consuming alcohol. My noting this fact was probably partly because I was watching with my older-teen son. It was annoying me that the characters made a lot of poor decisions as a result of alcohol consumption, but never seemed to learn a lesson from this - it was just supposed to be funny. Maybe if they had just used the schtick once or twice it wouldn't have bothered me, but it seemed to be a given throughout the length of this movie.

Thor and Iron Man II, it was an Avengers kind of weekend. Iron Man II was a snoozer for me, but I liked Thor, unlike DH who didn't. I don't know if it was the whole legend part or I really like Loki... plus the big fight in IMII seemed rather abrupt.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 10-08-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Netflix streaming - Dance Academy. This is an Australian TV series season 1 (2010) and season 2 (2011). At first glance one might think it belongs on the CW, but take another look. While it involves teenagers coming of age, the quality and the characters are so far above CW standards it is ridiculous. I won't wax poetic about the story line, only that dance (and in particular Ballet, along with Modern and Hip Hop) is the lynchpin.

I highly recommend at least a peek, even if you are not a dance aficionado.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Rock Of Ages- I like musicals and thought I would like this one, but no. Just no. It was just bad.

Dark Shadows- I liked this one a little better, but it seemed lacking in a lot of things.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo View Post

Dark Shadows- I liked this one a little better, but it seemed lacking in a lot of things.
    I didn't like the fact that they made it funny, I would have preferred eerie and like the show.

Silent House - wasn't what I thought it would be, and I wish it hadn't been so easy to figure out what was really up early on. Still, not awful, and Elizabeth Olson did a great job of looking terrified/borderline insane the whole time.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Silent House - wasn't what I thought it would be, and I wish it hadn't been so easy to figure out what was really up early on. Still, not awful, and Elizabeth Olson did a great job of looking terrified/borderline insane the whole time.
    I saw the original Spanish movie and even though I didn't figure it out, I felt kind of ripped off by the ending. It was quite eerie through the whole thing....

Snow White and the Huntsman - This was worth watching for the special effects alone - they were really outstanding! The work they did to age & reverse-age faces was really well done, as was everything else! I don't like Kristen Stewart. She wasn't completely tragic in this film, but I still wish someone else had played that role. Charlize Theron was fantastic! For a movie with so much fighting, I actually thought it was a little slow in places. It was FAR better than Mirror Mirror, the other Snow White movie this year.

+ Reply to Thread