+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

We started watching The Grey but just couldn't get into it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    We saw The Grey. I don't know what I thought it would be but it wasn't the movie I saw and I wasn't too crazy about the blood thirsty, man-hunting wolves they showed. Too bad b/c I usually love Liam Neeson movies...
    I agree as well, I didn't like it at all.

We watched Get Low with Robert Duvall as a crotchety old recluse with a secret, who wants to have a funeral while he's still alive. Great supporting cast, and Duvall was wonderful.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

We had a Dexterfest. I can't watch an episode a week- so we get all the DVD's and watch in one sitting
    Colin Hanks looks so much like his father

As for Dexter, now what- his sister saw him
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Grace, with Jordan Ladd. A woman's husband is killed in a car accident, she is 8 months pregnant and they find out her baby has died.... she goes through labor and somehow the child is revived.... baby Grace is hungry but not for food. I was pleasantly surprised as I went into it not expecting much. Creepy and not just gorey horror.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I watched Jeff, Who Lives At Home last night. It stars Jason Segal and Ed Helms as very different brothers and Susan Sarandon as their mother. Indie and unusual, but strangely satisfying and touching in the end. I wasn't sure where it was going, but I like all the actors (including the fabulous Judy Greer was Ed Helms' wife and Rae Dawn Chong as Sarandon's co-worker), so I was happy to go along for the ride.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

On the Ice - Film about a couple of Inupiat teens whose friend is killed during a hunting trip with them. They lie about what happens and the film follows the fallout of this decision. From the beginning I was fascinated by the realism. As an Alaskan, I'm used to seeing the Hollywood depiction of my home state. This film was actually filmed in Barrow and they used a number of local actors, so even the language felt exactly right! Overall the movie was a bit slow moving, but well done. I thought it was definitely worth the watch. I'm not sure if it would go over the same way with someone who did not have the same fascination with the details. Interesting tidbit: two movies have been filmed in Barrow - the other one was 30 Days of Night. In that movie the sun never rose (until the last scene) and in this movie the sun never set!

Girl in Progress - Coming of age story with a twist. The story is a girl living with her immature single mom who bounces from one man to the next. She is fed up with her mom, so when her English teacher starts talking to the class about "coming of age" stories she decides to make a plan for her own "coming of age". She thinks that by coming of age she can get out on her own and no longer be subject to the whims of her mother. A lot of the film was predictable, but I found it an enjoyable movie that was worth watching.

Big Miracle - I really wanted to like this movie. The acting was fine, but I just didn't find myself engaged with the story. When sad stuff happened, I didn't find myself sad and the majority of the characters did not come off as likable. Near the end of the story when they were working with an ice breaking boat it just moved into the absurd. The people were standing RIGHT THERE! It was ridiculous!! The most interesting part of the movie was during the credits when they showed some of the real life footage alongside the movie content.

I finally got to watch Winter's Bone on Netflix this weekend. Hubby and I liked it though it's pretty different from our usual fare. It definitely had that "indie" feel to it but that kind of helped the overall look and atmosphere of the film. I'll tell you what - being reminded that that's how some people actually live is a reminder that my daily gripes are actually pretty insignificant. I think this movie was based on a book which I think I'd like to read because it might fill in some of the gaps. The actor who played Teardrop did a great job.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - I'm not a big Tom Cruise fan. I've had a hard time not letting his personal views affect my opinion of him in movies. For the most part I just avoid his movies now. I decided to give this one a hot after hearing some good reviews. I'm glad I did. It was an enjoyable action movie. Fairly fast paced, not hard to follow, and had some funny moments. Worth watching.

+ Reply to Thread