+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

We Need to Talk About Kevin - All I knew going in that this movie was about a kid who perpetrated a school shooting, but that it was from the perspective of the mother. I have not yet read the book. The movie was slow, but also well done. It jumped back and forth in time, but wasn't difficult to follow. Tilda Swinton did an excellent job as the mother, you could really see her transformation over time. I don't typically like John C Reilly because I associate him with slapstick comedies that really aren't my thing, but he was completely believable in the role of the father. I don't think I've ever seen this kid Ezra Miller before, but he did a great job as teenage Kevin. In fact the kid that did younger Kevin did a very good job as well! I thought the ending segments of this film were especially powerful (I will not say anything more specific because I don't want to spoil anything). The only part of the story I didn't really "get" was the animosity toward the mom by members of the community. I can imagine that parents of kids who were hurt in a shooting of this nature would want someone to blame, but it isn't like the parents of the shooter were encouraging the kid to commit a crime against his classmates. Although I certainly wouldn't even attempt to put myself in the shoes of those parents who lost a child this way. Overall this movie was very well acted and extremely disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    We Need to Talk About Kevin - All I knew going in that this movie was about a kid who perpetrated a school shooting, but that it was from the perspective of the mother. I have not yet read the book. The movie was slow, but also well done. It jumped back and forth in time, but wasn't difficult to follow. Tilda Swinton did an excellent job as the mother, you could really see her transformation over time. I don't typically like John C Reilly because I associate him with slapstick comedies that really aren't my thing, but he was completely believable in the role of the father. I don't think I've ever seen this kid Ezra Miller before, but he did a great job as teenage Kevin. In fact the kid that did younger Kevin did a very good job as well! I thought the ending segments of this film were especially powerful (I will not say anything more specific because I don't want to spoil anything). The only part of the story I didn't really "get" was the animosity toward the mom by members of the community. I can imagine that parents of kids who were hurt in a shooting of this nature would want someone to blame, but it isn't like the parents of the shooter were encouraging the kid to commit a crime against his classmates. Although I certainly wouldn't even attempt to put myself in the shoes of those parents who lost a child this way. Overall this movie was very well acted and extremely disturbing.
    The book is gut-wrenching. I have held off seeing the movie because of that. If you decide to read the book let us know how you think they compare.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I absolutely adore Tilda Swinton, but I haven't been able to bring myself to see that movie. Haven't read the book either. There are some things that I just don't want in my head.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    The book is gut-wrenching. I have held off seeing the movie because of that. If you decide to read the book let us know how you think they compare.
    I have had the kindle version of the book for a few months, but have never found myself in the right frame of mind to read it. I think I will tackle it soon while the movie is fresh in my mind. I'll come back with my comparison!

Saw The Hunger Games last night. Good enough movie but I wasn't quite "swept away" by it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The Iron Lady.
    I think Meryl Streep is incredible .

I thought Maggie Thatcher was pretty terrific as well.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

The Lucky One..I really liked it. Blythe Danner was a real treat. I didn't realize she could do comedy so well, but all the funny scenes featured her and her one liners.

Hunger Games...I didn't read the books because of the kid thing, but with all the buzz about the movie, I decided to watch it. The only scene I didn't like
    Click to see Spoiler:
    involved Rue. I was sobbing...out loud. I think it was her age that devastated me the most.
    But I liked it a lot and am going to read the books soon. It's not quite what I thought it would be.
    waywyrd and cantstopwatchin like this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

We saw The Grey. I don't know what I thought it would be but it wasn't the movie I saw and I wasn't too crazy about the blood thirsty, man-hunting wolves they showed. Too bad b/c I usually love Liam Neeson movies...
    Florimel likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    We saw The Grey. I don't know what I thought it would be but it wasn't the movie I saw and I wasn't too crazy about the blood thirsty, man-hunting wolves they showed. Too bad b/c I usually love Liam Neeson movies...
    I felt the same way .
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

All these bad reviews are going to make me take The Grey off my queue.

We ended up having a vampire movie weekend: first was Stake Land, a bleak apocalypse story where some of the human survivors are just as frightening as the vampires. It was pretty well done...would have liked to know what happened to Mister, though.

Then there was Fright Night, the remake with Colin Farrell. It had its moments but Farrell was totally cheesy and somewhat afflicted-acting. We laughed at it more than anything else.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread