+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I remember Dolores Hart very well. I knew her best for her role in Where the Boys Are with Paula Prenitss, Yvette Mimieux, George Hamilton, Jim Hutton (Tim's dad), Connie Francis, and Frank Gorshin. One of the best movies of its "Spring Break" genre of that era.
    That's what I knew her from. I really was obsessed with that movie as a teenager. I've seen it dozens of times. She and George Hamilton were just so young and gorgeous. Heck, they ALL were!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    That's what I knew her from. I really was obsessed with that movie as a teenager. I've seen it dozens of times. She and George Hamilton were just so young and gorgeous. Heck, they ALL were!
    I was the same way with that movie.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I did a Kelly Macdonald double feature last night. First up was Decoy Bride with Kelly, David Tennant and Alice Eve. A sweet rom-com set in the Outer Hebrides with Alice Eve as a movie star trying to escape the paparazzi for her wedding, David Tennant as her writer fiancee and Kelly Macdonald as the local woman who gets pulled into the drama. Really, you could just say "Kelly Macdonald and David Tennant" and I would have watched. Sweet, silly and better than I expected.

Next was Two Family House, a drama set in 1950's Staten Island with Michael Rispoli as the new owner of a home and Kelly as the tenant who lives in the apartment upstairs. I saw this on a list of great movies that no one has seen, so I thought I'd remedy that! Very well written and terrific acting. A really sweet story about figuring out what you want and how to make yourself happy.

I've been on a run of crappy action movies (starting with Conan above), so I'm glad I finally broke that streak with some good movies!

The other crappy action movies were Immortals with Henry Cavill, which was just "meh" and then Transformers: Dark of the Moon. I always think those movies are too long. Michael Bay seems much more interested in special effects than an actual storyline. I read one plot summary that said something like "For the next hour it's just special effects." In spite of all the special effects and the silly plot premise, the most unbelievable part of the Transformers franchise is the idea that not one, but two hot women would find Shia Labeouf remotely attractive. Please.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Man on a Ledge - Meh. It wasn't terrible, but there was nothing new here and the "twists" we expected and uninteresting.

I watched Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. Been waiting for it to come out on DVD since seeing a thing about it on Canadian TV. Anyhow I really liked it. It wasn't high action or high thought provoking but it was enough to keep my engaged.

After having it sit here for weeks, I finally watched Friends With Kids last night. I don't know what I was waiting for because I REALLY liked it. I've been a fan of Jennifer Westfeldt since Kissing Jessica Stein and I thought this one was terrific too. I will say that the previews made it seem like a comedy with an ensemble cast, when it's really more of a drama starring Adam Scott and Jennifer. The other actors - Maya Rudolph, Chris O'Dowd, Jon Hamm, Kristin Wiig, Ed Burns and Megan Fox - are really more supporting actors. I've always liked Adam Scott, but he really surprised me in this movie. There's a scene at the end of the movie where he blew me away. I had no idea he was that good. He's usually in comedies, but he really does drama well. I think I'm going to watch this one again before I mail it back

I have both Salmon Fishing and Friends with Kids out from the library along with a few others. Its going to be a busy movie weekend at my house.

I'll be interested to hear what you thought of Friends With Kids, libgirl. I'm sure some people were disappointed because the previews really did make it seem like a different kind of movie. I hate it when studios do that, If it's a drama, don't make me think I'm getting a comedy! I really enjoyed it, but I wasn't expecting a full out comedy, just based on Jennifer Westfeldt's first movie.

I will say that, although Jon Hamm always seems like a nice guy in interviews, he's REALLY good at playing jerks! First Bridesmaids and now this one....not to mention Mad Men. Makes you wonder if he's such a nice guy after all.....

The Dictator, which was amusing and had quite a few laughs. Not for the easily offended though. I did notice one thing, Sacha Baron Cohen I a nice looking man.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - I don't typically like Guy Ritchie movies (I just don't like his style). However, I actually enjoyed this film. It had funny moments and the story was easy to follow even though my attention wandered in a couple of places. I like the dynamic between Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr. It was worth watching.

+ Reply to Thread