+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

21 Jump Street - Color me impressed! I don't generally like Channing Tatum or Jonah Hill or crude comedies, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed this movie. I'm sure it helped that I went in expecting to hate it, but I honestly laughed out loud a few times!!

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - The kid actor in this movie was excellent. The story was interesting and it had some touching and funny moments. The story started to lose me a bit in the middle, but I was a teary mess through the ending.

The Artist--- I'm not sure how much my husband liked it, but I watch and love silent films, and just knowing the genre and the history of the transition to talkies made this a fantastic film. Add several scenes that were not typical silent... made it a bit surrealistic.
    norealityhere likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - The kid actor in this movie was excellent. The story was interesting and it had some touching and funny moments. The story started to lose me a bit in the middle, but I was a teary mess through the ending.
    I watched this one because I was trying to see all of the Oscar-nominated films (at least the Best Picture nominees) before the Oscars aired. I didn't expect much, but I thought it was really good. The lead actor was amazing. He made the movie for me. Sandra Bullock was okay and Tom Hanks wasn't really in it enough to make much of an impact, so it was the young boy and Max Von Sydow who carried the movie. I was surprised at how affected I was by it.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Conan - boy was that one stinker of a movie! I've loved Jason Momoa since (and it's embarrassing to admit it) Baywatch and I watched the movie for him. Still not worth it. I was expecting a rip-roaring, cheesy, fun action movie, but it was just BO-ring. It felt more like a bad movie on SyFy (and not a good bad one!) than a big action movie.

God is the Bigger Elvis - a documentary about Dolores Hart, the ingenue who left her burgeoning movie career behind in the 60's to become a Benedictine nun. I watched Where the Boys Are over and over again when I was a younger, so it was interesting to see what she's been doing with her life. Very poignant moments when her former fiance visits her, because he still loves her and considers her the love of his life.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    God is the Bigger Elvis - a documentary about Dolores Hart, the ingenue who left her burgeoning movie career behind in the 60's to become a Benedictine nun. I watched Where the Boys Are over and over again when I was a younger, so it was interesting to see what she's been doing with her life. Very poignant moments when her former fiance visits her, because he still loves her and considers her the love of his life.
    I'm old so I clearly remember Dolores Hart, as an actress and then leaving to be a nun. She was in "Loving You" with Elvis, which was my first Elvis movie and I was 11. I left that movie totally smitten with Elvis and envious of Dolores. She was so lovely. Read an article about her in People around Oscar time this year....how she still can vote for the nominees and does!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    I'm old so I clearly remember Dolores Hart, as an actress and then leaving to be a nun. She was in "Loving You" with Elvis, which was my first Elvis movie and I was 11. I left that movie totally smitten with Elvis and envious of Dolores. She was so lovely. Read an article about her in People around Oscar time this year....how she still can vote for the nominees and does!
    I read a similar article in Entertainment Weekly. Yep, she's a member of the Academy, so she gets all the screeners at Oscar time.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post

I really want to see that! I find it so fascinating.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

If you have HBO, it's available on HBOGo right now

I remember Dolores Hart very well. I knew her best for her role in Where the Boys Are with Paula Prenitss, Yvette Mimieux, George Hamilton, Jim Hutton (Tim's dad), Connie Francis, and Frank Gorshin. One of the best movies of its "Spring Break" genre of that era.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread