+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

This Means War - It was cute and predicatable. I love Reese Witherspoon so I'm biased but there were many funny parts. I won't spoil it but I wish the final outcome had been different. The two male leads have great chemistry as best friends. Tom Hardy played one of the guys and WOW where has he been all my life.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Metal Tornado - Stupid B movie that I knew was a B movie when I rented it but didn't know they still made them that badly in this day and age. Don't get me wrong. It had a plot but I suspect awful directing. The name of the movie says what it's all about.

The Vow - Cute and sweet love story that was not as good as it seemed by the previews. It was worth $1 though so I wasn't that disappointed. It's about a wife who loses her memory about her new husband in a wreck.

We Bought a Zoo - Cute movie about a single dad who bought a zoo and how his children reacted to this new lifestyle. I had read rave reviews on it but I think I just don't like too many movies that much anymore since everything has already been done.

Chronicle - umm no. Enough said.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

RealityChick - Tom Hardy is my new silver screen boyfriend too. I haven't seen him in This Means War but Warrior was excellent. Of course, he will be Bane in the new Batman movie this summer and also, a small little indie based on a true story about moonshiners called Lawless coming late summer.

This weekend we watched a couple movies. One I could recommend the other not so much.

The Lincoln Lawyer - We liked this quite a lot. I guess it's a drama/thriller. Matthew McCoughney is toned down in this and it suits him here. Also - awesome soundtrack and good supporting cast.

True Grit - This movie was just ok for me. I spent more time trying to concentrate on Jeff Bridges mumbling. The girl was great. What was the point of Matt Damon again? And for all the top billing Josh Brolin got, he was in the movie for all of 20 minutes (maybe) and had a page of dialogue. And finally, the ending was WTF? Very jarring, abrupt and rushed IMO.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

An oldie we rented THOR last week and then this week we went and saw The Avengers. It was good that we did see THOR first!
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    This Means War - It was cute and predicatable. I love Reese Witherspoon so I'm biased but there were many funny parts. I won't spoil it but I wish the final outcome had been different. The two male leads have great chemistry as best friends. Tom Hardy played one of the guys and WOW where has he been all my life.
    He is quite a delight to watch, isn't he? I first noticed him in "The Virgin Queen".

We saw the Swedish films, Girl who Played with Fire, and Girl who Kicked the Hornests Nest. Odd after seeing the American version of Tattoo first. While I really love Rooney Mara, I did like Noomi Rapace quite a bit.
    Katydyd likes this.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The Woman in Black - a good, old-school gothic ghost movie. Started a little slow, but is worth a watch. Plus I always like watching Ciaran Hinds in anything.

Second one we watched was The Killer Inside Me. Ack. The violence in this one was disturbing to say the least. I was actually still bothered by it this morning, and movie violence usually doesn't affect me at all. Casey Affleck played a perfect little weirdo/serial killer, but I kept wondering what else they could do to poor Jessica Alba. Sheesh.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    The Woman in Black - a good, old-school gothic ghost movie. Started a little slow, but is worth a watch. Plus I always like watching Ciaran Hinds in anything.

Second one we watched was The Killer Inside Me. Ack. The violence in this one was disturbing to say the least. I was actually still bothered by it this morning, and movie violence usually doesn't affect me at all. Casey Affleck played a perfect little weirdo/serial killer, but I kept wondering what else they could do to poor Jessica Alba. Sheesh.
    My book club read The Woman in Black, I thought it was okay. I was surprised that I preferred it to the movie. The movie had some good creep out moments, mainly when Arthur was walking alone through the house (the window scene made me jump!), but I felt the script changed the whole mood of the story. It wasn't bad, just seemed to be missing the internal sadness of the book, both of Arthur and the woman too.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Albatross - a little indie set in a seaside hotel in England. It stars Felicity Jones, Julia Ormand and Jessica Brown-Findlay (Lady Sybil on Downton Abbey). I guess you could call it a coming-of-age story, but it wasn't sweet and heartwarming. If any Downton Abbey fanboys were hoping to see more of Lady Sybil, this is the movie. It was strange to see JBF wearing lots of makeup. She's so pretty without it. Anyway, not great, but good.

Fever Pitch - I can't believe I never saw this one! Colin Firth and Ruth Gemmel in the Nick Hornby written original (or at least the original adaptation from his book) that the mediocre Jimmy Fallon/Drew Barrymore movie was based on. Colin Firth beats Jimmy Fallon any day!

I also watched the entire first (and only) season of Friends With Benefits, a series that ran on, I think, NBC, within the last few years. I'm a Veronica Mars fan, so it was fun (and strange) to see Ryan Hansen play a character that wasn't Dick. I don't watch Happy Endings (although it's one I keep thinking I should start watching), but I think this one is very similar.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The Woman in Black - To Daniel Radcliffe's credit, I did not spend the whole movie thinking he belonged at Hogwarts! I really wanted to like this movie and it did a good job creating a creepy vibe. However, there was way too much time spent with DH wandering around a spooky house investigating footsteps and other bumping noises. I also have mixed feelings about the ending. It was like it provided resolution while still managing not to provide a resolution. Overall, it was just okay. It had the pieces of a good scary movie, but didn't quite come together for me.

+ Reply to Thread