+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Well I'm glad somebody out there was able to enjoy it! Usually when I go into a movie with low expectations the movie ends up exceeding them, but this one managed to come in even lower!
    They left the door open for future episodes. I'll be sure to miss any sequels that are produced.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    My Roku is connected to my wireless network, so I only have the red/yellow/white cable that ClosetRTWatcher mentioned. I'm sure that, if your TV doesn't have the right stuff, you could find an adapter at Radio Shack or Best Buy (although probably Radio Shack). I have the LT model, BTW.
    My TV had the right stuff, but I had to guess at the yellow plug in as all I had left were white and red holes- LOL. I finally just followed the plugs in the row next to it and it works. The only thing I didn't like in the set up was going online to register at their site/link. "Just in case" I want to order from their store, I had to register my credit card before the set up completed. I don't see regular HuLu which I thought was checked on the site on the TV menu - only HuLu Plus which costs money. It's all right, though, as I have On Demand and Network computer sites to fill in lost shows. I tried out my Netflix streaming list and it's there...I also began to play one of the movies to check to see I got the sound plug in correct. IT WORKS!

I have to remember to take my TV Video from 3 to 1 (which does separate it from the DVR) before I can use it. That freaked me out in the beginning as it was all plugged in and didn't show on the TV. Something clicked and I went down to video 1 - voila!
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    My TV had the right stuff, but I had to guess at the yellow plug in as all I had left were white and red holes- LOL. I finally just followed the plugs in the row next to it and it works. The only thing I didn't like in the set up was going online to register at their site/link. "Just in case" I want to order from their store, I had to register my credit card before the set up completed. I don't see regular HuLu which I thought was checked on the site on the TV menu - only HuLu Plus which costs money. It's all right, though, as I have On Demand and Network computer sites to fill in lost shows. I tried out my Netflix streaming list and it's there...I also began to play one of the movies to check to see I got the sound plug in correct. IT WORKS!
    Congratulations and welcome to the cult of Roku!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Congratulations and welcome to the cult of Roku!!
    We should make t-shirts!

Yeah, unfortunately, it's only Hulu Plus and not regular Hulu that you can watch on Roku. One of these days when I have more money, maybe I'll do Hulu Plus but, for now, I'm good with what I have. I've downgraded my Netflix DVD plan to one at a time, so the Roku is definitely going to save me money.

Today I watched Tara Road with Andie MacDowell and Olivia Williams. It's an adaptation of the Maeve Binchy novel, which I loved. Kind of like comfort food. Plus, Iain Glenn is perfect as the horrid, cheating husband!

I also watched Pompeii: Back From the Dead, a documentary about Pompei and what happened in the wake of Vesuvius erupting nearly 2,000 years ago. Fascinating stuff. Most poignant were the plaster casts that archaeologists made in the 19th century. When they were excavating the site, they found pockets that had been taken up by bodies that had since decomposed. They injected plaster into those spaces to make casts of the people.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical - I'm still following your lead. I changed my Netflix DVD rentals from 3 at a time to 1 at a time saving myself $8 a month, and added even more to my streaming list. I watched the first episode of a Scottish made "Devil made me do it" series and it looked much better on my TV than on the computer.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    Critical - I'm still following your lead. I changed my Netflix DVD rentals from 3 at a time to 1 at a time saving myself $8 a month, and added even more to my streaming list. I watched the first episode of a Scottish made "Devil made me do it" series and it looked much better on my TV than on the computer.
    I find that I've been watching streaming stuff more than actual TV lately. No commercials and nothing I don't want to watch!

This afternoon I watched Janie Jones with Alessandro Nivola and Abigail Breslin as a has-been rock star and the daughter he never knew he had. Great acting - and singing - from both leads.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

The Devil's Double - A movie that claims to be based on the life story of a guy who served as the body double for Uday Hussein (one of Saddam Hussein's sons). I went in expecting it to be "loosely based". It started out rather believable, but it ended up just being ridiculously over-the-top. I just couldn't fathom that a guy who is worried about the safety of his family would make the choices this guy made by the time the end of the film rolled around.

Beats, Rhymes & Life: The Travels of A Tribe Called Quest - Documentary about the hip-hop group A Tribe Called Quest. I am a fan, and The Low End Theory will *always* be one of my favorite albums of all time. I don't generally watch stuff about music on television. No concert shows, documentaries, award shows, reality shows, nothing. I made an exception for this one and I'm really glad I did! It was interesting, had great music, and made me a little nostalgic for my high school years in the early 90s. They just don't make hip-hop music like this anymore! On top of that it had a great story about this group of friends and their ups and downs dealing with the music industry and their internal dynamics.

Watched several over the weekend, starting with The Next Three Days. It wasn't bad, but Russell Crowe's transformation from mild-mannered teacher to prison break-out expert, robbing drug dealers along the way, wasn't quite believeable. I did like how they didn't reveal her innocence or guilt til the end...

Also watched A Film Unfinished, an unpleasant and hard to watch bit of Nazi propoganda film that was filmed in the Warsaw ghetto and got shelved. Commentary and interviews from people who were trapped there was fascinating, but I almost had to turn it off towards the end. So brutal and sad.

Ended with Fast Five to lighten the mood - Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, The Rock and lots of gorgeous cars to gawk at. Good, silly action movie with plenty of eye candy and overacting from The Rock. Actually, this was probably my favorite of the series.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Cold Prey, a Norwegian slasher movie that was actually quite good. The suspense built up and you got to really like the characters... very creepy. They made a sequel and a prequel for it, but I don't think I will watch them. I'm always so disappointed with sequels.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 05-14-2012 at 07:31 PM.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

We Bought a Zoo - Nice movie, some funny moments and sad moments. Almost exactly what I expected, which also means it was fairly predictable. The little girl who plays the daughter is adorable.

+ Reply to Thread