+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

  1. #3781
    FORT Fogey cablejockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    1,847

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    This is the last movie I watched although the only I paid was to Netflix--Girl 27. It was a fascinating documentary about a 17 year old extra who was raped at a party MGM put on for their salesmen back in 1937. She tried to prosecute the guilty but was thwarted from every side due to the enormous influence MGM held. The whole story was basically swept under the carpet and out of the public eye until somebody stumbled over it and made this doc.
    Girl 27 (2007) - IMDb

  2. #3782
    Forum Assistant Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,785

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I bought a Roku player a few weeks ago and LOVE it. It was only $50. It doesn't do anything else but play streaming content, like play games or discs or something, but it was cheaper too. Plus, it's tiny, so it doesn't take up much room. I shopped around for Blu-Ray players or other consoles that do Netflix streaming and Roku was the cheapest option. The Blu-Ray players that I looked at that were the least expensive also didn't get very god reviews (imagine that!) and I decided I'd rather have the Roku that did one thing well than something more expensive that didn't do anything well. I was worried about the picture quality, but it's been great.

    Anyway, just a thought!
    I took your thought and ran with it. I started out at Amazon since I'm a Prime member, but went with the Roku website where the special of 49.99 and free shipping ends today. However, they also charge sales tax, so, with the added cable, I paid 64.64. I swear this is the LAST purchase I make this month. My Fire is stocked and itunes has plenty of tunes. Okay - I justified this purchase. LOL
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  3. #3783
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,145

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I took your thought and ran with it. I started out at Amazon since I'm a Prime member, but went with the Roku website where the special of 49.99 and free shipping ends today. However, they also charge sales tax, so, with the added cable, I paid 64.64. I swear this is the LAST purchase I make this month. My Fire is stocked and itunes has plenty of tunes. Okay - I justified this purchase. LOL
    I hope you like it as much as I do! I'm going to downgrade my Netflix DVD service to one disc at a time, since I can watch so much streaming content now. I have used streaming before, but I prefer watching on my TV vs. my computer. You can also get Hulu Plus, Pandora and Crackle, along with many other services on the Roku as well. If only Xfinity and HBOGo were available here, I'd be set.

    I just watched Young Adult with Charlize Theron. While I didn't love it, I thought Charlize gave a terrific performance and Patton Oswalt was fantastic. I think he's only scratched the surface of what he can do as an actor.

    I also watched Never Let Me Go with Kyra Knightly and Carey Mulligan and man, what a depressing movie! Distopian society where children are bred to be organ donors and die in young adulthood after their bodies have given out. Yay! Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield were very good. Not a KK fan at all but, mercifully, she wasn't in it as much as the other two. It was in my queue for a while and I did want to see it, but I can't say I enjoyed it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  4. #3784
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,718

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I took your thought and ran with it. I started out at Amazon since I'm a Prime member, but went with the Roku website where the special of 49.99 and free shipping ends today. However, they also charge sales tax, so, with the added cable, I paid 64.64. I swear this is the LAST purchase I make this month. My Fire is stocked and itunes has plenty of tunes. Okay - I justified this purchase. LOL
    I also love my Roku. We also have a blu-ray player that streams Netflix, but I never use it because the Roku interface to Netflix is MUCH more user friendly!

    The Darkest Hour - I watched this with my son this afternoon. I thought the trailers looked intriguing. Unfortunately, it was TERRIBLE. All of the good special effects were shown on the trailers. The acting was bad, and the script was worse. None of the characters really had a back story that made you connect with them. The characters kept making ridiculous choices that didn't make sense. Everything that the characters might need was too conveniently placed (Walking through a dark building and the flare they are using for light burns out JUST as they walk into a room with lanterns! You need to see what is going on far away LOOK here's a scope you can use!). And the "rules" were applied inconsistently (the aliens can't detect them through glass, yet it later "sees" the characters through a building window). I would say don't waste your time!

  5. #3785
    Forum Assistant Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,785

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I also watched Never Let Me Go with Kyra Knightly and Carey Mulligan and man, what a depressing movie! Distopian society where children are bred to be organ donors and die in young adulthood after their bodies have given out. Yay! Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield were very good. Not a KK fan at all but, mercifully, she wasn't in it as much as the other two. It was in my queue for a while and I did want to see it, but I can't say I enjoyed it.
    That movie made me cry and is probably a contributing factor to why I won't go near Hunger Games. It was a hard, thoughtful movie not so much in the future as in the past and present. The contrast between those accepting their destiny and those railing against it made it bittersweet also as destiny won in the end for all of them. I'm getting the shivers just thinking about it.

    On the Roku...it says it connects to "most" TVs. Mine is a big box Sony eight years old and has the round holes for push in cable joins. The photo of the cable that will come with the machine has a flat computer type connection. This makes me nervous, but I should know within the week whether I need to take them up on their 30 day return policy.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  6. #3786
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,718

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    On the Roku...it says it connects to "most" TVs. Mine is a big box Sony eight years old and has the round holes for push in cable joins. The photo of the cable that will come with the machine has a flat computer type connection. This makes me nervous, but I should know within the week whether I need to take them up on their 30 day return policy.
    I think you should be okay as long as your TV has the yellow/white/red plug receptacles. The specs even on the newer Roku boxes say they support this:

    Video Outputs
    480i (over composite video)

    Audio Output
    Analog stereo (mini-jack to left/right/composite video RCA)

    I can see the plug location on all of the Roku 2 models. I can't see this plug location on the photo for the Roku LT model, but it is listed in the specs so it should be available.

  7. #3787
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    46
    Posts
    17,145

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    My Roku is connected to my wireless network, so I only have the red/yellow/white cable that ClosetRTWatcher mentioned. I'm sure that, if your TV doesn't have the right stuff, you could find an adapter at Radio Shack or Best Buy (although probably Radio Shack). I have the LT model, BTW.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  8. #3788
    Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    On the edge
    Posts
    6,403

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Time to rent 'Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels' again. When this movie was first released I had no idea he would become one of my favorite action heros of all time.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

  9. #3789
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    7,209

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    The Darkest Hour - I watched this with my son this afternoon. I thought the trailers looked intriguing. Unfortunately, it was TERRIBLE. All of the good special effects were shown on the trailers. The acting was bad, and the script was worse. None of the characters really had a back story that made you connect with them. The characters kept making ridiculous choices that didn't make sense. Everything that the characters might need was too conveniently placed (Walking through a dark building and the flare they are using for light burns out JUST as they walk into a room with lanterns! You need to see what is going on far away LOOK here's a scope you can use!). And the "rules" were applied inconsistently (the aliens can't detect them through glass, yet it later "sees" the characters through a building window). I would say don't waste your time!
    My husband just watched this and liked it!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  10. #3790
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,718

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    My husband just watched this and liked it!
    Well I'm glad somebody out there was able to enjoy it! Usually when I go into a movie with low expectations the movie ends up exceeding them, but this one managed to come in even lower!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.