+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

  1. #3771
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,328

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    The Muppets - Thoroughly enjoyable. My seven-year-old watched with me and she really like it as well. I watched The Muppet Show as a kid, but I was pretty young so I don't have vivid memories of it. I did grow up listening to the soundtrack from the first Muppet Move though, so I am very fond of it! I actually got a bit teary when they did The Rainbow Connection.

    Hugo - Wow, the marketing for this movie was just awful! Based on the trailers I had almost zero interest in watching this movie. It looked like it was a children's movie about a couple of kids on an adventure involving an old-timey robot. I didn't even know Ben Kingsley was in it, and he was a central character!! I decided to watch it after hearing a couple of reviews from people I know who said it was not at all what they expected. After watching it, I completely agree. There was SO much more to this movie than the previews implied. While it was a family-friendly movie and had kids in the main roles, this was not really a kids film at all. This was really a wonderful (and beautifully filmed) movie for people who love movies. I think Sacha Baron Cohen is a talented actor and I would like to see in more films like this where he is not one of his own ridiculous satirical creations.

  2. #3772
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,117

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    The Muppets - Thoroughly enjoyable. My seven-year-old watched with me and she really like it as well. I watched The Muppet Show as a kid, but I was pretty young so I don't have vivid memories of it. I did grow up listening to the soundtrack from the first Muppet Move though, so I am very fond of it! I actually got a bit teary when they did The Rainbow Connection.

    Hugo - Wow, the marketing for this movie was just awful! Based on the trailers I had almost zero interest in watching this movie. It looked like it was a children's movie about a couple of kids on an adventure involving an old-timey robot. I didn't even know Ben Kingsley was in it, and he was a central character!! I decided to watch it after hearing a couple of reviews from people I know who said it was not at all what they expected. After watching it, I completely agree. There was SO much more to this movie than the previews implied. While it was a family-friendly movie and had kids in the main roles, this was not really a kids film at all. This was really a wonderful (and beautifully filmed) movie for people who love movies. I think Sacha Baron Cohen is a talented actor and I would like to see in more films like this where he is not one of his own ridiculous satirical creations.
    I totally agree that the marketing was awful on this film. I was expecting a fantasy film with the boy-robot to be a portal into another world that the girl and boy enter and explore. That is exactly how the trailers represented the story. That is why I went to see the film and I kept wondering when is that going to happen? Then the story went sideways and becomes about Ben Kinsley and his charcater's early career in film. That is why I hated Hugo. It was advertised as one thing but was another.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  3. #3773
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,328

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I totally agree that the marketing was awful on this film. I was expecting a fantasy film with the boy-robot to be a portal into another world that the girl and boy enter and explore. That is exactly how the trailers represented the story. That is why I went to see the film and I kept wondering when is that going to happen? Then the story went sideways and becomes about Ben Kinsley and his charcater's early career in film. That is why I hated Hugo. It was advertised as one thing but was another.
    It's funny, a friend of mine had the same general feeling. Didn't hate it, but was disappointed because they went to see the movie that was advertised. I had the opposite reaction because I wasn't really interested in the movie that was advertised, so I enjoyed the departure from the advertising. It's funny how expectations can affect a person's opinion of a film.

  4. #3774
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,117

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    It's funny, a friend of mine had the same general feeling. Didn't hate it, but was disappointed because they went to see the movie that was advertised. I had the opposite reaction because I wasn't really interested in the movie that was advertised, so I enjoyed the departure from the advertising. It's funny how expectations can affect a person's opinion of a film.
    Again I have to agree. If I knew this film was really about the early days of film I would have felt differently. I probably would not have chosen to see it, but if I had caught in on HBO or one of the premium networks I could have watched it. Much of my anger and dislike of the film is that I felt lied to about what it really was about and I also felt cheated out of the $11.50 I spent on a movie I would not have chosen to go see. So my feelings of being lied to and stolen from and having the wool pulled over my eyes do translate to my dislike of the film.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  5. #3775
    Think Spring Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    17,975

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    I also had mixed emotions about watching Hugo, but got caught up in the story of the orphan boy trying to make his father's dream come true. Ben Kingsley was amazing. I loved the set decoration and the costumes. Yes, Sasha Baron Cohen was hysterical as a hysterical station guard. A high rating from me.

    Today I watched a Masterpiece Contemporary called, Framed. If you like English slightly quirky with delightful characters and a story about art masterpieces and how they change a town in Wales, I highly recommend it. I'm giving it five stars.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  6. #3776
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,621

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I also had mixed emotions about watching Hugo, but got caught up in the story of the orphan boy trying to make his father's dream come true. Ben Kingsley was amazing. I loved the set decoration and the costumes. Yes, Sasha Baron Cohen was hysterical as a hysterical station guard. A high rating from me.

    Today I watched a Masterpiece Contemporary called, Framed. If you like English slightly quirky with delightful characters and a story about art masterpieces and how they change a town in Wales, I highly recommend it. I'm giving it five stars.
    Really enjoyed Framed! Eve Myles, who played the lead in it starred in Torchwood, one of my favorite shows.

    I watched a really sweet movie called 16 to Life. I cringe at the description "coming of age," but this was indie and not overly precious. It starred Hallee Hirsch, who many will remember as Mark Greene's daughter on er.

    I also re-watched one of my favorite indies, Pretty Ugly People. It stars Melissa McCarthy, Missi Pyle, Octavia Spencer and a whole cast of terrific actors. I can't describe it any better than the blurb from Netflix:
    When chronically overweight Lucy (Missi Pyle) invites a group of her old college pals to Montana for a weekend reunion because "time is running out," the friends assume that Lucy is at death's door, and they rush to her side in this indie comedy. But Lucy's got a few big surprises in store for them -- including a four-day backpacking trip that tests the limits of their friendship … and their sanity.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  7. #3777
    Think Spring Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    17,975

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Really enjoyed Framed! Eve Myles, who played the lead in it starred in Torchwood, one of my favorite shows.
    That's where I've seen her. She was marvelous in this film. Pretty Ugly People looks interesting - adding it to my queue.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  8. #3778
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,621

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    That's where I've seen her. She was marvelous in this film. Pretty Ugly People looks interesting - adding it to my queue.
    If you don't have Netflix streaming, it's also available on Hulu (not Plus).
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  9. #3779
    Think Spring Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    17,975

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    I placed it at the top of my disc queue. I do have streaming, but prefer watching on the larger TV screen. If I can ever justify it, I'll have to buy a Wii or Xbox so I can watch streaming Netflix on my TV.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  10. #3780
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    15,621

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I placed it at the top of my disc queue. I do have streaming, but prefer watching on the larger TV screen. If I can ever justify it, I'll have to buy a Wii or Xbox so I can watch streaming Netflix on my TV.
    I bought a Roku player a few weeks ago and LOVE it. It was only $50. It doesn't do anything else but play streaming content, like play games or discs or something, but it was cheaper too. Plus, it's tiny, so it doesn't take up much room. I shopped around for Blu-Ray players or other consoles that do Netflix streaming and Roku was the cheapest option. The Blu-Ray players that I looked at that were the least expensive also didn't get very god reviews (imagine that!) and I decided I'd rather have the Roku that did one thing well than something more expensive that didn't do anything well. I was worried about the picture quality, but it's been great.

    Anyway, just a thought!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.