+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Scream 4 - Yeah, if you've seen any of the first three, you've seen this one. And Courtney, please lay off the botox or whatever you're doing to your face. It was scarier than the movie.

Straw Dogs - I only stuck this in my queue because the gorgeous Mr. Skarsgard was in it. Other than that, it was a sad, violent movie full of rather unlikable (and dumb) characters. Home invasion, gang rape, attemped lynching...the first half was creepily interesting, but it quickly devolved.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Straw Dogs - I only stuck this in my queue because the gorgeous Mr. Skarsgard was in it. Other than that, it was a sad, violent movie full of rather unlikable (and dumb) characters. Home invasion, gang rape, attemped lynching...the first half was creepily interesting, but it quickly devolved.
    That's too bad. I would love to watch a movie that gives Mr. Skarsgard lots and lots of screen time, but there is too much good stuff to watch to try and fit in a bad film.

Ugh, saw Battlefield: Los Angeles... horrible movie. Cliched, boring and just wrong!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Crit I finally caved and watched Footloose, too, and I liked it. Not as much as the first one but they didn't butcher it, which was my fear. And I need more of the actor who played Willard. He cracked me up every time he had to speak. LOVED him.

We watched Jack and Jill last night. Ok, yeah, it was really dumb, but we laughed our way through it. Al Pacino's role was hilarious. Not sure I'd recommend it but it but I didn't hate it.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didn’t hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

We just saw In Time with Justin Timberlake and I liked it. It was about North America in the future where you're given a day to live and time is the currency.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - it was okay. Creepy little fairy folk come crawling up from the basement, looking for children's teeth to eat. Yeah, really. Not terribly scary, but the little girl (Bailee Madison?) did a great job. Plus she looks quite a bit like Katie Holmes, who played her soon-to-be stepmom.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - it was okay. Creepy little fairy folk come crawling up from the basement, looking for children's teeth to eat. Yeah, really. Not terribly scary, but the little girl (Bailee Madison?) did a great job. Plus she looks quite a bit like Katie Holmes, who played her soon-to-be stepmom.

I enjoyed it more then I thought I would because I wasn't expecting to.

I saw Young Adult yesterday and really enjoyed it. It is depressing but quite good. I couldn't figure out if at the end she was better or the same.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

The Interrupters - This is a documentary about an organization in Chicago called Cease Fire. They have enlisted former gang members to act as "Violence Interrupters". They go out to places where tensions are high, often after some kind of violence has occurred and try to calm the tension and convince the people involved not to retaliate. It was really an outstanding documentary. It did an excellent job of trying to explain the circumstances that can lead up to outbreaks of violence. At one point they compared the outlook in inner cities ("I hate you because you live in that other neighborhood", "I hate you because you belong to a rival gang") to the circumstances in the Middle East ("I hate you because you are a Sunni (or Shia)", "I hate you because you are an Israeli (or Palistinian)"). I thought it was a really interesting comparison that hadn't occurred to me before. The film was really heart-wrenching at times as well, which you don't often see with documentaries.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - I saw this one in the theater, so this was a repeat viewing. It was just as excellent the second time around. It was also well worth watching on blu-ray because this film is visually beautiful!

The Debt - Young Israeli spies go after a Nazi living in East Germany (I think in the 60s). It flips back and forth between past and present. It was good. Well acted, interesting story. I think I just wasn't really in the mood for it at the time I happened to watch, so overall it didn't strike me as amazing.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    The Debt - Young Israeli spies go after a Nazi living in East Germany (I think in the 60s). It flips back and forth between past and present. It was good. Well acted, interesting story. I think I just wasn't really in the mood for it at the time I happened to watch, so overall it didn't strike me as amazing.
    Did you recognize Jessica Chastain in "The Debt"? Hard to believe she could play Young Rachel and then turn around and play Celia Foote in "The Help." That's SOME versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Did you recognize Jessica Chastain in "The Debt"? Hard to believe she could play Young Rachel and then turn around and play Celia Foote in "The Help." That's SOME versatility.
    Oh, THAT's where I recognized her from!! Usually I have IMDB in hand to look up stuff like that, but she looked a bit like Bryce Howard to me, so I just blew it off.
    You are right, those characters are quite different. She does seem to be a talented actress, I will be curious to see what she does next.

+ Reply to Thread