+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Wrecked. If you think you'd enjoy watching a beat-up, amnesiac Adrien Brody crawl around in the forest for 90 minutes, rent this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Wrecked. If you think you'd enjoy watching a beat-up, amnesiac Adrien Brody crawl around in the forest for 90 minutes, rent this.
    Wow. Heck of an endorsement. I'll make sure to avoid this one.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

After waiting for YEARS for it to be released (no, seriously, it was filmed in 2008), I finally saw Fireflies in the Garden. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. It had a solid cast with Ryan Reynolds, Willem Dafoe, Emily Watson and Julia Roberts, but boy what a bunch of depressing people! It felt like an indie film and was well-acted. I can't really figure out what it got shelved for so many years. Normally, if a movie is a stinker, they just send it straight to video. This didn't get released at all...until last fall when it got a small release in probably 3 theaters in the country. Anyway, I wasn't disappointed, because I know it would be dreary, but I'm glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater.

ETA: I don't know way. I don't really like Adrian Brody. Does someone beat him up on camera? 'Cause I might enjoy that! If he just gets beaten up in the course of crawling around the jungle for 90 minutes, then I'll take a pass.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I feel the same way about Julia Roberts, Crit. Adrien's injuries were due to a car accident...I won't give away the plot in case anyone wants to kill 90 minutes watching it.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Well then, I'll probably pass on that one!

I finally saw the latest Twilight installment and it wasn't bad. The wolf stuff was WAY cheesy though, especially the scene where they're "talking" to each other telepathically. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. It was so bad. Really though, the movies are cheesy, so I shouldn't have been surprised!

I also watched Drive and, man, how did Albert Brooks not get an Oscar nomination? He was terrifying! I thought it was a really good movie, although some of the violence was pretty stomach-turning. Also, and this is a petty thing, I thought the opening titles were all wrong. That hot pink script reminded me of a teen movie from 1982 - like The Last American Virgin or something. Totally wrong for this movie. Otherwise though, I liked it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I really liked Drive. The soundtrack is pretty damn good, too.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I finally saw the latest Twilight installment and it wasn't bad. The wolf stuff was WAY cheesy though, especially the scene where they're "talking" to each other telepathically. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. It was so bad. Really though, the movies are cheesy, so I shouldn't have been surprised!
    I watched this over the weekend as well. I had already seen it in the theater, but that wolf scene was even worse the second time. If they couldn't have managed a better way of doing it, they should have just left it out. Fortunately that was limited to just one scene, so I didn't think it ruined the film. I still this this is the best one of the series so far. I sure hope they don't bring that wolf telepathy effect to the final film.

I also watched What's Your Number. I went in with low expectations, and I thought it was predictable, but not bad. As with many comedies, a lot of the funny bits were in the previews (and it would have been funnier if I hadn't already seen them 20 times). I actually bought the chemistry between Ana Farris and Chris Evans, and I really wasn't expecting to.

Warrior - This is the best movie you never heard of. It's NOT a movie about MMA. It's a movie about family, a very complicated one at that and motivations and things that shape and drive us. It's very simply done but DH and I were blown away. Highly recommend. (side note: I didn't know this at the time but this movie stars Tom Hardy whose star is going to explode this summer when he appears as Bane in the The Dark Knight Rises)
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

We watched Paranormal Activity 3... pretty much what you would expect, but for some reason little kids with imaginary friends freak me out! I remember Jody the pig in the Amityville Horror! That scared the heck out of me. There were a couple of good scare scenes (Mary Worth anyone?) but the ending was a let down.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Yesterday I rented 'Real Steel'. Cute!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread