+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    The Debt - With Helen Mirren, Jessica Chastain, Tom Wilkinson etc. Exciting, intelligent thriller based around a group of agents in the 60's tracking down a nazi doctor. Acting was superb and a couple really well written twists. Highly recommend.
    I loved The Debt. You can rarely go wrong with Helen Mirren and Tom Wilkinson. Oddly enough, I found the original Israeli version of The Debt in my On Demand Movie Pak. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I hope to get to it.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    Second was Midnight in Paris. I'm not that fond of many of Woody Allen's films, but I do have a couple that I love. This one joined the list. It was filmed beautifully with a concept I very much like. The actors that were cast to play the literati of the 1920's and the 1890's looked and sounded like their real-life counterparts -- at least the ones I've seen and heard. It went back and forth in time periods, and I loved it.

Third was Sarah's Key based on a novel written by a respected French novelist although she had written this one in English. It too, jumped between current day and 1942. Kristin Scott Thomas played a journalist whose husband is French, and his family was involved in the 1942 Holocaust story she is investigating. That part of the story involves a night in 1942 when the Vichy French rounded up the Jewish families for deportation to the concentration camps. One of them was a little girl who is the focal point of this story. The 10-year old actress who played her gave one of the most amazing performances I've seen in years.
    I felt the same way about Midnight in Paris. I'm not a Woody Allen fan,and I'm actually not an Owen Wilson fan either, buty I really liked the rest of the actors and I loved the story.

We just watched Sarah's Key last night. I thought that, in some ways, it was better than the book, which I thought felt a bit like "Maeve Binchy does the Holocaust"...not that I don't love Binchy, but it just felt a bit too fluffy to me. I thought Kristin Scott Thomas was terrific and I thought Mélusine Mayance was amazing! I can't believe she's only 10. Her last scene was just heartbreaking - even more than in the book.

I watched Friends With Benefits a few days ago and I thought it was much better than No Strings Attached, p[robably because I like Mila Kumis much better than Natalie Portman.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fright Night 2011 - Colin Farrell is very nice to look at.... a little campy but still entertaining...

Attack the Block - british film about aliens attacking a "block". I heard great things about this movie, but I guess I just didn't get it. I think the guys who did Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead had a hand in this... It was pretty bad in my opinion. Seemed to be geared to the stoner crowd... I really wanted to find it funny, just didn't. Feel bad cause I love Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead... But this was just bad.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Horrible Bosses - I loved it! The cast was great (I love Jason Bateman in anything), a lot of the humor raunchy, and it wasn't too long. I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't even recognize Colin Farrell until the very end. And for some reason that line about Sharper Image has had me giggling all day. God, that apartment.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

I rented I Don't Know How She Does It over the weekend, and I hated it. Actually, I thought it was one of the worst insults to working moms I've ever seen. It was filled with all kinds of things like a working woman having a hard time sitting at a business dinner wtihout reaching over and cutting someone's meat like she would a child. To me, that's a slap in the face to all women. I don't understand how Sarah Jessica Parker speaks out as a strong feminist, but continues to play all these weak pathetic women. I had high hopes for this movie, because I like so much of the supporting cast (Christina Hendricks, Seth Meyers, Pierce Brosnan). But I did NOT like it!
    cablejockey likes this.

Since my cable was out last night, I made it a double feature:

Super 8 - I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I thought the young cast was terrific and it's always great to see Kyle Chandler (). I also loved the soundtrack - I was probably the same age as those characters when those songs were popular!

Griff the Invisible - lovely little indie from Australia starring Ryan Kwanten (from True Blood) as a meek, bullied office worker who fights crime by night. Really sweet and quirky and a totally different role than RK plays on TB.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    Fright Night 2011 - Colin Farrell is very nice to look at.... a little campy but still entertaining...

Attack the Block - british film about aliens attacking a "block". I heard great things about this movie, but I guess I just didn't get it. I think the guys who did Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead had a hand in this... It was pretty bad in my opinion. Seemed to be geared to the stoner crowd... I really wanted to find it funny, just didn't. Feel bad cause I love Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead... But this was just bad.
    *sigh* that had David Tennant in it.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

My husband and I rented the remake of "Don't be Afraid of the Dark". I have seen the original but really liked this one better. IT was visually gorgeous, had a lot of mytholical and folklore stories tied into it and the little girl was fantastic in it. Katie Holmes was pretty good too. I liked it so much, I want to see it again. Creepy and interesting. A slight bit of gore at the beginning, but it ties in very well.

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    My husband and I rented the remake of "Don't be Afraid of the Dark". I have seen the original but really liked this one better. IT was visually gorgeous, had a lot of mytholical and folklore stories tied into it and the little girl was fantastic in it. Katie Holmes was pretty good too. I liked it so much, I want to see it again. Creepy and interesting. A slight bit of gore at the beginning, but it ties in very well.
    I'm happy to see a positive review of this. I have it on my queue, but I'm extremely skeptical of Katie Holmes. Maybe I'll give it a shot now in spite of the fact she's in it!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I'm happy to see a positive review of this. I have it on my queue, but I'm extremely skeptical of Katie Holmes. Maybe I'll give it a shot now in spite of the fact she's in it!
    I'm not a fan of hers, but I forgot I was watching her and just enjoyed the movie. If you like Pans Labrynth (spelling??) you might just like this... same look and eerie feel to it. Of course its by all means not perfect, but I liked it alot. And as I said the little girl was fantastic in it.

+ Reply to Thread