+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I also watched Our Idiot Brother this weekend. It was a sweet movie and the acting was fine, but I will admit I expected to laugh more than I did. I just at your comment about Elizabeth Banks because I thought she was Parker Posey through the first 10 minutes of the film!!!

I'm glad to hear this positive review. I have had this one near the top of my Netflix queue for a couple of months now.
    I thought it was her for pretty much most of the movie. The hair color and cut totally threw me off! I'm usually really good at recognizing actors, even in heavy makeup and prosthetics too.

Beginners was really good. I didn't think I could love Ewan MacGregor more than I already do, but my crush has intensified! The only slight misfire, imo, was Goran Visnjic as Christopher Plummer's boyfriend. I normally LOVE Goran, but I just didn't buy him in the role. Also, he had this very distracting, floppy hairdo. Still, it didn't take away from the rest of the movie.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I watched the Rob Reiner film Flipped - a coming of age story told from both points of view, the girl and the boy. It was a Rob Reiner film...not overly sweet, and with very good acting.

I also finally got a chance to watch Attack The Block and found it had such a lovely creepiness to it. Leave it to the stoner to figure out what beings from outer space are all about.

The Help is on a very long wait status for me, and Our Idiot Brother is also on the wait list. Waiting...
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

I loved Flipped! It was one of those movies that I'd never heard of until a friend recommended it, so I rented it. It was a total surprise for me and I really enjoyed it!

...leaving to add Flipped to my queue...Thanks!

Book of Eli. I hate post-apocalyptic films, but I stuck with this one and am so glad I did. It is very good with a "Whoa" ending. I recommend. I watched it mainly as a palate cleanser from all the sugary Hallmark movies I've been watching and it was just what was needed.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I enjoyed that one too, Ariel.

We watched Cowboys and Aliens last night. Wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped (aliens want our gold?!), but I still thought it was fun. It also ran a bit long, in my opinion. But hey - Daniel Craig in a cowboy get-up was worth it.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

The Debt - With Helen Mirren, Jessica Chastain, Tom Wilkinson etc. Exciting, intelligent thriller based around a group of agents in the 60's tracking down a nazi doctor. Acting was superb and a couple really well written twists. Highly recommend.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

We rented Zookeeper and Horrible Bosses last night. Zookeeper wasn't great, but there were parts that were really cute and some that were pretty funny. Lots of one liners that made us smile. It wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen.

Horrible Bosses was hilarious and vulgar and I liked it, but I thought it kind of dragged in places. Kevin Spacey was terrific as a horrible boss and Jennifer Aniston..I've never seen her like this before but she was hilarious. It was good for a few laughs.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

It's rare that I rent three movies at the same time all of which I love. That happened last week' each film was very different from the others.

First was Margin Call with Kevin Spacey, Simon Baker, Jeremy Irons, Zachary Quinto, Demi Moore, and other strong actors about a 24-hour period when the bottom drops out of a financial company when they force the bottom to drop out of the MBS market. It deals more with the effect of the actions they take on the characters involved. Excellent performances all around.

Second was Midnight in Paris. I'm not that fond of many of Woody Allen's films, but I do have a couple that I love. This one joined the list. It was filmed beautifully with a concept I very much like. The actors that were cast to play the literati of the 1920's and the 1890's looked and sounded like their real-life counterparts -- at least the ones I've seen and heard. It went back and forth in time periods, and I loved it.

Third was Sarah's Key based on a novel written by a respected French novelist although she had written this one in English. It too, jumped between current day and 1942. Kristin Scott Thomas played a journalist whose husband is French, and his family was involved in the 1942 Holocaust story she is investigating. That part of the story involves a night in 1942 when the Vichy French rounded up the Jewish families for deportation to the concentration camps. One of them was a little girl who is the focal point of this story. The 10-year old actress who played her gave one of the most amazing performances I've seen in years.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

The Surrogates with Bruce Willis. It had been floating around on my queue for over a year, and really, I should have left it there. While the premise was interesting - people no longer leave their homes, they live their lives through mind-controlled, good-looking, robotic "surrogates" - the movie itself was rather boring. Willis' surrogate with the goofy toupee was good for a laugh, though.

I'm going to concentrate on finishing up season three of Dexter. My movie picks have stunk the last few weeks.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread