+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Bad Teacher, with Cameron Diaz and Jason Segal. And a nerded up Justin Timberlake. I laughed at some of it, but my husband fell asleep. So, mixed reviews here. Definitely not one to watch with kids in the room.
    That is an understatement! lol I was even blushing and I'm almost 25.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    If we swap out "rented" for "streamed", I saw Drool tonight streaming on Amazon Prime. It's a weird indie black comedy about a woman in an abusive relationship who shoots her husband and then drives half-way across country with her new lady love and her two kids to get rid of the husband's body. Like I said, it's a black comedy. But I've been waiting 3.5 years to see it, as the first half was filmed three doors down from me. The house that was the woman/abusive husband's was mostly destroyed a few months after the filming, when Gustav hit, and has since been completely rebuilt into a lovely house. The house next to that was also used--which I didn't know until tonight--and I'm going to ask the owners about how the location was chosen. We're on friendly terms (I get satsumas from their rather productive tree), so I'm sure they'll share about the filming.

That being said, unless you like really odd, quirky, dark comedies, it's not going to be your cup of tea. It was, however, better than I feared. Not many people even know about my neighborhood until Breaking Dawn shot here and I have an unfortunately named street related to the series. I'd tell more, but I'm tired of the street sign being stolen.
    Thanks for the recommend. I just started Amazon Prime so can't wait to stream some movies and I love black comedies. Have you ever seen Curdled?

One of my old-time fun faves. I've always loved Leslie Nielsen and this one also had Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, and some other favorite actors. If memory serves, Robbie was the model for the robot in the original Lost In Space ("Danger, Will Robinson."

I have Cowboys and Aliens and The Debt coming this week.

Forgot to add that I watched Super 8 this week. It was good, but not as good as I had hoped it would be coming from Steven Spielberg and J J Abrams. Finally got around to the latest Pirates of the Caribbean. Entertaining, but I think the series has more than reached its end date.
    Last edited by Florimel; 12-06-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    ****Forgot to add that I watched Super 8 this week. It was good, but not as good as I had hoped it would be coming from Steven Spielberg and J J Abrams.
    I watched that as well and found it derivative. I, too, thought it would be more original than a goonies gang finding trouble and a sappy way to get out of it. Wasn't the ending one of the sappiest you've ever seen?

I swear there was another movie where a spaceship was made from appliances. Does anyone remember?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I watched that as well and found it derivative. I, too, thought it would be more original than a goonies gang finding trouble and a sappy way to get out of it. Wasn't the ending one of the sappiest you've ever seen?

I swear there was another movie where a spaceship was made from appliances. Does anyone remember?
    Explorers with Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Explorers with Ethan Hawke and River Phoenix?
    After reading the Wiki info, I think you are right. There seem to be similarities within the gang, but Super 8 has an actual crash landed alien who wants to go home. I just bought ET for my collection...home...home...LOL
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Yesterday I watched Cars 2 - what a hoot. Anyway, I start the TV series from Britain, Robin Hood, next. I adore the Merlin series (which starts season three in the US in January on SyFy) that you can stream from Netflix. The same with Robin Hood, but I decided to get the discs.

Conan the Barbarian, the remake. Yeah, yeah, I admit it. I only watched it to see Jason Momoa.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

This week I watched Our Idiot Brother with the always adorable Paul Rudd and Zoey Deschanel, Emily Mortimer and Elizabeth Banks (doing her best Parker Posey impression) as his exasperated sisters. It was much sweeter than I imagined it would be, based on the trailers.

Also this week was Beginners starring Ewan MacGregor as a man dealing with the death of his father (played by Christopher Plummer) who, after the death of his wife - when he's in his 70's - comes out of the closet. It was incredibly poignant and beautifully acted. I LOVED this movie. Just a lovely little indie.

I've also been making my way through Sons of Anarchy streaming on Netflix. I'm almost through season 1. I can't believe I never got into this show before, but I kind of love being able to obsessively watch all of the episodes in a row!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

This week I watched Our Idiot Brother with the always adorable Paul Rudd and Zoey Deschanel, Emily Mortimer and Elizabeth Banks (doing her best Parker Posey impression) as his exasperated sisters. It was much sweeter than I imagined it would be, based on the trailers.
    I also watched Our Idiot Brother this weekend. It was a sweet movie and the acting was fine, but I will admit I expected to laugh more than I did. I just at your comment about Elizabeth Banks because I thought she was Parker Posey through the first 10 minutes of the film!!!

Also this week was Beginners starring Ewan MacGregor as a man dealing with the death of his father (played by Christopher Plummer) who, after the death of his wife - when he's in his 70's - comes out of the closet. It was incredibly poignant and beautifully acted. I LOVED this movie. Just a lovely little indie.
    I'm glad to hear this positive review. I have had this one near the top of my Netflix queue for a couple of months now.

+ Reply to Thread