+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Food, Inc. It's been out a few years, but I never got around to watching it. Now I won't be eating any meat for a few weeks. Ew.
    I don't know if I can say I loved this movie...it's not really that type....but I've seen it about three times now. I think it should be required watching for everyone. I found it absolutely fascinating and incredibly eye-opening. Good stuff!
    Florimel likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Source Code with Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, Jeffrey Wright and Vera Farmiga - a scifi thriller with Jake G as a maybe-time traveler trying to avert a terrorist attack by being placed back into the "code" of a train bombing until he finds the person who planted the bomb. Really good performances from all four leads and lots of interesting food for thought.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just did a little indie double feature. First was Lovely and Amazing with Catherine Keener, Emily Mortimer and Brenda Blethyn as a seriously dysfunctional family. Good, but frustrating because the characters were such a mess! Then I watched Will Ferrell in Everything Must Go as an alcoholic who loses his job and comes home to find all of his posessions on the front lawn and the locks changed (and all his assets frozen by his wife). He spends about a week living on his front lawn, while getting to know himself and his neighbors. If you liked WF in Stranger Than Fiction, this is along those same lines and very different from his usual fare. Not for everyone, but I really liked it. He's so much more talented than Hollywood usually gives him credit for. Much like Jim Carrey, WF is terrific in drama. I wish he'd do more of it!
    Last edited by Critical; 11-05-2011 at 11:05 PM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Then I watched Will Ferrell in Everything Must Go as an alcoholic who loses his job and comes home to find all of his posessions on the front lawn and the locks changed (and all his assets frozen by his wife). He spends about a week living on his front lawn, while getting to know himself and his neighbors. If you liked WF in Stranger Than Fiction, this is along those same lines and very different from his usual fare. Not for everyone, but I really liked it. He's so much more talented than Hollywood usually gives him credit for. Much like Jim Carrey, WF is terrific in drama. I wish he'd do more of it!
    I completely agree about Will Ferrell, and Jim Carrey as well. They can both be so highly annoying, but they are extremely talented actors and can produce some real movie gems!!

Watched The Adjustment Bureau recently - enjoyable, but the ending was a little too happy-cutesy for me. And the hats and water thing were weird.

Also watched The Dilemma, with Vince Vaughn and a rough-looking Winona Ryder. It was okay. Predictable ending.

And while it's not a movie, I'm renting the Dexter series (in the middle of season two now). Totally addictive! I've been missing out all these years.
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    It has to be the eye candy since there wasn't much of a story!
    I'm with you Critical. Will be good to see him, RDJr., Jeremy Renner, Mark Ruffalo and Chris Evans in The Avengers in the spring!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

If we swap out "rented" for "streamed", I saw Drool tonight streaming on Amazon Prime. It's a weird indie black comedy about a woman in an abusive relationship who shoots her husband and then drives half-way across country with her new lady love and her two kids to get rid of the husband's body. Like I said, it's a black comedy. But I've been waiting 3.5 years to see it, as the first half was filmed three doors down from me. The house that was the woman/abusive husband's was mostly destroyed a few months after the filming, when Gustav hit, and has since been completely rebuilt into a lovely house. The house next to that was also used--which I didn't know until tonight--and I'm going to ask the owners about how the location was chosen. We're on friendly terms (I get satsumas from their rather productive tree), so I'm sure they'll share about the filming.

That being said, unless you like really odd, quirky, dark comedies, it's not going to be your cup of tea. It was, however, better than I feared. Not many people even know about my neighborhood until Breaking Dawn shot here and I have an unfortunately named street related to the series. I'd tell more, but I'm tired of the street sign being stolen.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

OT but maybe the two movies filmed in my hometown - McCloud, California - are available to rent. The first is Climb An Angry Mountain with Barry Nelson and the second is Baby Blue Marine with Jan Michael Vincent; both filmed in the 70s.

I had already left by the time the movies came to town, but all my friends who were still there were excited about it. It was fun to watch the movies and see familiar locations. It is a very small town so there aren't any locations that aren't familiar.

Come on, PhoneGrrr, spill the street name.

BTW: my avatar, Mt. Shasta, was the star of the mountain film.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Just finished watching Captain America and really....meh. I like Chris Evans, but it was just, yeah.... meh. The most exciting part was the preview for The Avengers at the end of the credits!

Bad Teacher, with Cameron Diaz and Jason Segal. And a nerded up Justin Timberlake. I laughed at some of it, but my husband fell asleep. So, mixed reviews here. Definitely not one to watch with kids in the room.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread