+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    I really enjoyed that one too! I thought Matthew McC did a great job. I haven't read the book, but I'm glad because I was just able to enjoy the movie on its own merits without thinking about was missing, or different or not how I pictured it. I thought it was well done with some nice twists and surprises
    I think there is more than one book. or one story.Something like that. I love Matthew, he did a good job.I usually like Clive Owen, but I rented Trust, it wasn't good.Although it really did show how a pedophile works, and what happenes to family.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

The Adjustment Bureau and I am Number Four. Loved both for the paranormal/scifi adventure - my type of movies.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I just re-watched "Red Dawn" with Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey (1984) which was before Dirty Dancing (1987). This is a young, up and coming actor's flick tagging into the last days of Soviet "what if they invaded?" Others include C. Thomas Howell, Lea Thompson and Charlie Sheen. Generic to the times but a good showcase for all of them.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I watched three good, but really different movies this weekend.

First up was HappyThankYouMorePlease, a little indie film starring Malin Ackerman and Josh Radnor (who also directed) from How I Met Your Mother. Kind of a coming-of-age story, but with adults. Really sweet.

Next was The Next Three Days with Russell Crowe as a many trying to break his wife (Elizabeth Banks) out of jail after she's convicted of a murder she may or may not have committed - you don't find out until the very end whether she's guilty or innocent. Very good stuff - suspenseful, well acted and well-directed by Paul Haggis.

I just now finished Of Gods and Man, which won Grand Prix honors at Cannes last year. It was amazing and beautiful and incredibly heartbreaking. It's based on the true story of monks who were kidnapped by Muslim extermists during the Algerian Civil War, but the movie focuses on what happens before the kidnapping. Some ignoramus reviewer on Netflix referred to it as a "Muslim movie in some middle eastern language." Well, okay. If the fact that it's set in Algeria and has some Muslim characters means it's Muslim, even though the story focuses on Catholic monks, then whatever, but if French is now considered a "middle eastern language," I guess I didn't get that memo. People are idiots
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Forbidden Planet. An oldie, but goodie with Leslie Nielsen playing the lead - a spaceship captain. You'll see other familiar faces as well...it really is a hoot. The story is good and, while some of the special effects are cheesy...some are pretty cool. They borrowed a guy from Disney animation to help out. The morale of the story is also timeless...even if humans evolve over millions of years as the Krell did, the primitive brain cannot be denied. I recommend, but only if you can stomach a flying saucer wobbling on the horizon. Oh, there is also a bulky robot named Robbie, who has some funny lines.
    Florimel likes this.

For Colored Girls who have considered Suicide when the Rainbow is Enough.

I thought Precious was incredible and this one is, too.
    There are some very hard scenes to watch, but this is a phenomenal movie.
    Macy Gray, in a small scene, is excellent, by the way.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Food, Inc. It's been out a few years, but I never got around to watching it. Now I won't be eating any meat for a few weeks. Ew.

Also watched Hanna and Sunshine Cleaning, both pretty good. Your Highness, however, was really disappointing. Not nearly as funny as I'd hoped it would be. The only thing that made it watchable at all was James Franco's cute self.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I really liked Sunshine Cleaning. Hanna is next in my cue for mailbox delivery tomorrow. My newest guilty pleasure is Thor. I think I watched it three days in a row before I returned it. I've added it to my Amazon cart which also holds Harry Potter (Part 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    My newest guilty pleasure is Thor. I think I watched it three days in a row before I returned it.
    Was that for the eye candy or the story?

We've been watching a bunch of cheesy horror movies in preparation for Halloween. Man, there are some really dumb movies out there. We did rewatch 28 Days Later, one of my favorite zombie movies.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    Was that for the eye candy or the story?
    It has to be the eye candy since there wasn't much of a story!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread