+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

The Adjustment Bureau - I'm not getting the hate for this movie up-thread. I'm wondering if the people who dislike this movie are the same ones that disliked Inception. I really enjoyed this film. It had elements that reminded me of Inception and the Matrix, but with other elements that made it feel fresh rather than the same ideas redone. I thought Matt Damon did a particularly good job.

Battle Los Angeles - An okay action movie. I wouldn't avoid it, but I wouldn't move it ahead of other movies in your queue either. Special effects were well done. The filming style was a bit chaotic, which worked in the sense that this is essentially a war movie so the "feel" was right. However, there were places where it was difficult to keep track of the characters. My biggest gripe was:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Toward the end when they found the enormous alien communications hub it was underground and they initially discovered this underground below the pavement when they had gone down into some kind of drainage or sewer tunnels. When they attacked it and it rose up out of the ground I was just trying to figure out how it could possibly have gotten underground in the first place!!! Clearly it wasn't always under there because the Navy woman said they had been tracking it and there was video of it on the television report. It would have been a monumental excavation task to get that thing buried, and that is on top of the fact that it seemed to be under undisturbed pavement!!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    The Adjustment Bureau - I'm not getting the hate for this movie up-thread. I'm wondering if the people who dislike this movie are the same ones that disliked Inception. I really enjoyed this film. It had elements that reminded me of Inception and the Matrix, but with other elements that made it feel fresh rather than the same ideas redone. I thought Matt Damon did a particularly good job.

Battle Los Angeles - An okay action movie. I wouldn't avoid it, but I wouldn't move it ahead of other movies in your queue either. Special effects were well done. The filming style was a bit chaotic, which worked in the sense that this is essentially a war movie so the "feel" was right. However, there were places where it was difficult to keep track of the characters. My biggest gripe was:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Toward the end when they found the enormous alien communications hub it was underground and they initially discovered this underground below the pavement when they had gone down into some kind of drainage or sewer tunnels. When they attacked it and it rose up out of the ground I was just trying to figure out how it could possibly have gotten underground in the first place!!! Clearly it wasn't always under there because the Navy woman said they had been tracking it and there was video of it on the television report. It would have been a monumental excavation task to get that thing buried, and that is on top of the fact that it seemed to be under undisturbed pavement!!
    I agree about The Adjustment Bureau. I found it quite entertaining as did my son. The bureau employees put me in mind a little of the Observers in Fringe. I wasn't expecting realism, just a good story, which this film provided for me.

I also agree about Mao's Last Dancer. I love good ballet movies and this could become one of my favorites.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

REF. comments upthread about Inception and those disliking it. also disliking The Adjustment Bureau. You're right. I watched about 25 minutes of Inception and realized it wasn't for me. It may be a fine movie, but I didn't care to finish it out. I did push through The Adjustment Bureau, and still think it's pitiful. Total waste IMO, except, I have compassion for Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. I'm sure they were embarrassed by it, although, it's good to know some viewers actually enjoyed it.

For a good suspence, mystery, intrigue, movie, I would rent, The Good Sheperd or The Talented Mr. Rippley. GREAT.
    Last edited by Debb70; 08-01-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    REF. comments upthread about Inception and those disliking it. also disliking The Adjustment Bureau. You're right. I watched about 25 minutes of Inception and realized it wasn't for me. It may be a fine movie, but I didn't care to finish it out. I did push through The Adjustment Bureau, and still think it's pitiful. Total waste IMO, except, I have compassion for Matt Damon and Emily Blunt. I'm sure they were embarrassed by it, although, it's good to know some viewers actually enjoyed it.

For a good suspence, mystery, intrigue, movie, I would rent, The Good Sheperd or The Talented Mr. Rippley. GREAT.
    It's not about being right, because that implies that the people who liked the movie(s) are wrong.
    Last edited by Critical; 08-02-2011 at 02:56 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Inception was an odd movie but after watching it twice I think I finally got it... Thought it was such an original idea for a movie.
    Adjustment Bureau I enjoyed. Everytime I see someone wearing a hat like in the movie it makes me wonder. hahahah

Beastly - I really wanted to like it but everything was very cliche.
    Source Code - For some reason I thought the movie was very short. I guess it was fast paced. I enjoyed it. Good action flick.
    Sucker Punch - No No No No No, that is all I can say.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    Sucker Punch - No No No No No, that is all I can say.
    I thought this one looked interesting in the previews, but I have yet to hear a good review from someone who has actually seen it. Thanks for supporting my decision to leave it off my queue!

I rented The Lincoln Lawyer and just loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Not sure if this counts since technically it's TV, but I did watch through Netflix this weekend, and really wasn't sure where else to post....I found a great British mystery series called "Wire in the Blood." I'm almost done with season 2 (6 seasons, 3-4 shows about 1.5 hours each). If you're a fan of Criminal Minds, or enjoyed last summer's "Luther" on BBC America, I highly recommend this series. Very dark and twisty, but the lead character, psychologist Tony Hill, is quirky and amusing. It's based on books by Val McDermid, and available on instant play.
    Isn't that brilliant? I saw it on Bravo for 2 seasons, and it was pulled.I was very upset, thankfully our library cares it. Excellent show

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I rented The Lincoln Lawyer and just loved it.
    I really enjoyed that one too! I thought Matthew McC did a great job. I haven't read the book, but I'm glad because I was just able to enjoy the movie on its own merits without thinking about was missing, or different or not how I pictured it. I thought it was well done with some nice twists and surprises
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

FORT Fogey

We rented "The Forty-Year-Old Virgin." The DVD version cannot possibly be what was shown in the movie theaters. It was chock full of the "F" word. Nevertheless, it was a cute movie and Steve Carrell did an excellent acting job.

+ Reply to Thread