+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

We got "Pearl Harbor" from Netflix. It has terrible reviews, but we wanted to see it after we visited the real Pearl Harbor earlier this year. It really brings to life the reality of that horrible day. It's emotional to see the names on the Arizona memorial wall. But to watch a movie that shows them lifting nets full of dead bodies from around the ships . . . wow. Made it seem very real.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Moon starring Sam Rockwell. A Sci-Fi thriller that was an official Sundance selection. Without giving the plot away, you get a little of H.A.L. and over-reaching corporate America. Kept me in my seat the whole way through. Recommend if you like to wonder what the future may hold.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I rented The Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon and Emily Blunt on Time Warner Movies on Demand. Wow, I can't believe they took my $3.99 for that movie. I was speechless. They are both wonderful actors, but this movie was the pits. I was embarrassed for them.

Run from this movie. It boggles the mind that great actors ended up in that film. It was silly, made no sense, full of holes, no chemistry, and love story was preposterous. I could have cared less about anyone in the movie. There was never any sense of danger or real consequences. It was just terrible on every front.

I read no reviews on the film so I don't know what others thought. I can't imagine anyone liking it though.

FORT Fogey

Debb70 -- Thanks for your insight on this movie. I just put it on my Netflix queue and now thinking about taking it off. Anybody else have an opinion on this movie, please post or PM me.

We recently rented "Inception" with Leo Dicaprio. Got weirder and weirder as it went on; about halfway through it I stopped it, put it back in the envelope and returned it to Netflix. I thought it was horrible; my SO had walked away after about 20 minutes after it started.
    Last edited by Columbia, MD; 06-28-2011 at 04:54 PM.
    Debb70 likes this.

I watched Biutiful with Javier Bardem the other night and was blown away. It was so layered and complex and moving and JB was incredible. I actually think that he deserved the Oscar....and I'm a HUGE Colin Firth fan.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Not sure if this counts since technically it's TV, but I did watch through Netflix this weekend, and really wasn't sure where else to post....I found a great British mystery series called "Wire in the Blood." I'm almost done with season 2 (6 seasons, 3-4 shows about 1.5 hours each). If you're a fan of Criminal Minds, or enjoyed last summer's "Luther" on BBC America, I highly recommend this series. Very dark and twisty, but the lead character, psychologist Tony Hill, is quirky and amusing. It's based on books by Val McDermid, and available on instant play.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I love Wire in the Blood and Robsen Green! It's funny you mention Luther because I just started watching this weekend. I don't know what I was waiting for. Idris Elba is the MAN! Sadly, when I went to Wiki to see how many episodes they did for season 2, there was a HUGE spoiler in the season summary Kind of annoyed about that, but I'll still watch.

This weekend, I watched a few...

Beastly with Vanessa Hudgens and Alex Pettyfer. It was very uneven - good in parts and then just bad. Plus, the sound was really inconsistent. I kept having to turn it up and down. Neil Patrick Harris was good in his little role, as was Mary-Kate Olsen. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I was 15.

Ceremony with Uma Thurman and the delicious Lee Pace. It's a small indie (directed by Max Winkler, Henry's look alike son) featuring Uma as a bride-to-be whose little indiscretion - in the form of an oddball 20-something children's author - shows up to woo her away from Pace's self-absorbed documentary film maker on their wedding weekend. Even though Lee Pace plays a bit of an arrogant twit, I still couldn't see how anyone would NOT choose him....like how much of a dilemma is that? That's not a spoiler, BTW, about who she does or doesn't choose

Dirty Pretty Things with the fabulous Chiwetel Ejiofor and Audrey Tautou as illegals working at a London hotel who become privy to the seedy underbelly of the city, while trying to avoid deportation. Just really terrific. I can't believe it took me this long to see this movie! The cast was so good - lots of international actors, including Sophie Okonedo and Sergi Lopez.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle - actually funny. A great flick for a hot, rainy day where you just don't feel like going outside. A lot of laughs.

Just Go With It - Romantic comedy with Jennifer Anniston and Adam Sandler. I have fond memories of JA from her Friends days, but I don't think I have ever seen a movie with her that I liked. This was a nice departure from that trend because I actually liked her in this movie! Overall the movie was okay. It was a light rom-com with some juvenile humor thrown in. Nicole Kidman looked terrible, what happened to her?? Whatever it was I hope it was just for this movie!!

Mao's Last Dancer - Very well done movie about a ballet dancer from China who defected to the US in the 80s. It did a very good job at portraying the Chinese "manufacture" of athletes and the dancing was wonderful!!

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia, MD View Post
    We recently rented "Inception" with Leo Dicaprio. Got weirder and weirder as it went on; about halfway through it I stopped it, put it back in the envelope and returned it to Netflix. I thought it was horrible; my SO had walked away after about 20 minutes after it started.
    I couldn't disagree more with this sentiment. We recently rented it and were completely riveted throughout. I thought it was a neat story and by halfway through I was developing several theories and was waiting to see which ones panned out. Conceptually it reminded me of The Thirteenth Floor with Craig Bierko & Vincent D'Onofrio. I will say I was somewhat disappointed with Leo's acting in this one.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

+ Reply to Thread