+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

  1. #3661
    All Summer-y Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    19,241

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Finally saw The King's Speech and it is as good as the raves.

    Needing something light, I watched Switched. Question...why has Jennifer Aniston, in the last few years, played such dark and/or borderline characters. I thought this was supposed to be a comedy - no such luck.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  2. #3662
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,998

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Casino Jack with Kevin Spacey and Barry Pepper. I loved it.



    Nowhere Boy Another good one for me. It's about John Lennon's early life before the Beattles and when he met Paul and George.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

  3. #3663
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,148

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Once - this has been in my Netflix queue for months and I finally got it this weekend. I loved it! It's the story of two musicians who meet in Dublin and, over the course of about a week, have a relationship that changes the course of their lives. The music is fantastic - the two leads are musicians who wrote and performed the songs - and they won the Best Song Oscar a few years back. It's just one of those movies with lots of lovely little moments that reminds me of why I love movies.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  4. #3664
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,794

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by sunshine2 View Post
    My teenage daughter always heads for the creepy section. She picked out the new film I Spit on Your Grave. For people who like creepy movies it actually had a real story line and the acting was quite good. Not for the week stomach though.
    I saw that one, it was a bit over the top, but I watched the whole thing. We watch a lot of horror at my house, we recently saw La Horde, a French zombie film that was outstanding! I highly recommend it. The very last movie that we saw was 127 Hours. James Franco was fantastic. I can so totally see why he was nominated for an Oscar. He was riveting, the story was difficult, but uplifting at the end.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  5. #3665
    All Summer-y Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    19,241

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Once - this has been in my Netflix queue for months and I finally got it this weekend. I loved it! It's the story of two musicians who meet in Dublin and, over the course of about a week, have a relationship that changes the course of their lives. The music is fantastic - the two leads are musicians who wrote and performed the songs - and they won the Best Song Oscar a few years back. It's just one of those movies with lots of lovely little moments that reminds me of why I love movies.
    I rented it after I heard Chris Allen sing the song from the movie. I can't count how many times I have heard it since. Just recently the "folk" duet (husband/wife) sang it for their blind audition on The Voice. I loved that the movie had a "correct" ending, a real life ending rather than a forced happy ending.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  6. #3666
    All Summer-y Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    19,241

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned - black and white classics from the early sixties put together on one disc.

    Though they now look kitschy, they still carry the message of man trying to control his society. The cold war mentality makes one remember when the big evil was the military/industrial complex. It still is, but now movies play it out in the future rather than the present.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  7. #3667
    Bitten Critical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Fangtasia - The Bar With Bite
    Age
    45
    Posts
    16,148

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    Critical: you need to see The Dinner Game its the original they tried to copy for Dinner with Schmucks
    Its french and very funny its one of my all time favourite movies. Dinner with Schmucks was not even close
    Its the same with Death at a funeral. The original version is also one of my favourite films, the remake just bad.
    I FINALLY got The Dinner Game from Netflix and I LOVED it! SO much better than the remake. I found it funny that the part that I liked so much about the remake wasn't even in the original.

    I also watched Mao's Last Dancer this weekend. WOW. Just an amazing movie, based on the true story of a man who, as a very young boy, was plucked from his family's home in the country and sent to Beijing to study ballet. It follows his life as he ascends in the ranks and then has the opportunity to study in America, where he learns that America may not be what the Communist Party led him to believe. Beautifully acted and just stunning dancing. The actor who plays the lead as an adult is an incredible dancer. I was going to send it back to Netflix tomorrow, but I think I'm going to keep it so I can watch it again.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

  8. #3668
    Pineapple! ClosetRTWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Groovin' with my human boom box
    Posts
    4,519

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I also watched Mao's Last Dancer this weekend. WOW. Just an amazing movie, based on the true story of a man who, as a very young boy, was plucked from his family's home in the country and sent to Beijing to study ballet. It follows his life as he ascends in the ranks and then has the opportunity to study in America, where he learns that America may not be what the Communist Party led him to believe. Beautifully acted and just stunning dancing. The actor who plays the lead as an adult is an incredible dancer. I was going to send it back to Netflix tomorrow, but I think I'm going to keep it so I can watch it again.
    Thx for this review. I just saw a preview for this one a few weeks ago and added it to my queue. I might have to move it up now!

  9. #3669
    Hey you! MiaT2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NoVA
    Posts
    1,482

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    I don't know if this counts as a rental since it was free online and it hasn't technically been released to theaters yet but....

    The Troll Hunter - A Norwegian film sort of a cross between The Blair Witch project and Cloverfield. It was fun - a bit slow in parts but that sort of went along with the mockumentary concept. It felt pretty realistic. Great scenery too.

  10. #3670
    FORT Fogey Florimel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,998

    Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

    Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I FINALLY got The Dinner Game from Netflix and I LOVED it! SO much better than the remake. I found it funny that the part that I liked so much about the remake wasn't even in the original.

    I also watched Mao's Last Dancer this weekend. WOW. Just an amazing movie, based on the true story of a man who, as a very young boy, was plucked from his family's home in the country and sent to Beijing to study ballet. It follows his life as he ascends in the ranks and then has the opportunity to study in America, where he learns that America may not be what the Communist Party led him to believe. Beautifully acted and just stunning dancing. The actor who plays the lead as an adult is an incredible dancer. I was going to send it back to Netflix tomorrow, but I think I'm going to keep it so I can watch it again.
    I couldn't agree more about Mao's Last Dancer. It was a superb movie based, as you say, on the autobiography of the Chinese dancer. I love ballet and the dancing was as superb as the story was touching. It even included some film of Baryshnikov dancing. Who could ask for more?
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

    http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.