+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

My mom's favorite movie was Jumpin Jack Flash!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I just finished watching the documentary Catfish. What a fantastic film! I have never watched a documentary quite like this, it literally had me riveted. I highly recommend this one!!!! This is the description from Netflix which does not give all of the info, and that is a GOOD thing!
    Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman document the strange series of events that unfolds when a gifted 8-year-old artist named Abby contacts Nev, a 24-year-old photographer (and Schulman's brother), through Facebook. After Abby sends Nev a remarkable painting based on one of his photos, Nev begins corresponding with her family -- including her seductive 19-year-old sister. Realizing that something's not quite right, Nev sets out to uncover the truth.

I haven't seen Catfish, but I have heard quite a bit about the controversy surrounding it. Did you get the impression that the story was made-up? IMO a good movie is a good movie...not particularly important if it's not "real". It's not a Serious Documentary about social injustice or dead dolphins, so I don't take issue if the line between real and make-believe is fuzzy.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I haven't seen Catfish, but I have heard quite a bit about the controversy surrounding it. Did you get the impression that the story was made-up? IMO a good movie is a good movie...not particularly important if it's not "real". It's not a Serious Documentary about social injustice or dead dolphins, so I don't take issue if the line between real and make-believe is fuzzy.
    My impression was that the documentary was the real deal. I didn't even know that there was controversy related to the movie!! I may have to go Google that now...

There was a trailer that led viewers to believe it was a scary/horror/thriller type movie and that it was definitely not. Fortunately I didn't see this trailer until AFTER I watched the movie, but it did lead to a number of negative reviews on Netflix from people who were expecting something completely different.

ETA - I just went and read a short interview with the filmmakers and this is a two-line excerpt:
    Joost: It would be amazing if we had faked it. I don't know how we would have done it, but ...

Schulman: And my brother would be the best actor since Marlon Brando.
    The main guy they were following in the film (Nev Schulman) is the brother of "Schulman" in this excerpt and I completely agree with this last line. This guy was completely believable to me in this film. I don't think it is a fake, but if it were Nev would deserve an Oscar!!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 03-05-2011 at 01:38 AM.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    ow if I could just remember the Walther Matthau film name where he is a spy who wants to retire.
    Hopscotch?

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Hopscotch?
    Thanks! I'm hopping over to Netflix to place it in my queue. I love the house Glenda Jackson (?) lived in.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Morning Glory - I'm not a big fan of Rachel McAdams, so I was going to skip this one. I changed my mind after hearing some good reviews so I picked it up thru Netflix. It had a cute ending, but a huge chunk thru the middle was just kinda "meh". Overall, unmemorable.

Knight and Day - I'm not a Tom Cruise fan and am definitely not a Cameron Diaz fan, but I gave this one a chance anyway and was pleasantly surprised. It's totally over the top and comic book-y, but fun.

Micmacs - I can't say enough good things about this movie! I can only say that it is absolutely delightful. Jean-Pierre Jeunet is a favorite of mine and this one didn't disappoint. Visually stunning, quirky, funny and just plain wonderful. I am in LOVE with this movie!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Wolverine - Loved it!
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Arthur - the original one... Wow Dudley Moore was fantastic. Loved it.

Deep Blue Sea - such a horrible fish killer movie, but because it was so bad, it was actually good. If that made sense.

Tombstone - Love me some Sam Elliot
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

+ Reply to Thread