+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;4189310;
    I saw the American film before reading the book, and loved it. I recently read the book and was quite surprised by the plot changes you mentioned
    Click to see Spoiler:
    particularly Eli/Abby's gender, but I think the change might have had more to do with glossing over the vicious castration of Eli
    -was that part of the Swedish film? I haven't seen the original yet - I reserved it at the library and it came in when I was out of town on holidays. I do agree with your last comment - I wouldn't have changed the title. The book claims it as a quote from a Morrissey song, maybe it was a copyright thing?
    Yes, the bit you have in spoilers was in the original film. The scene was short and disturbing, but fitting with the movie. I hope you get to see the original soon, it is excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by liz_momof2;4190856;
    I definitely agree with this! We watched it last week. Our 4 year old even thought it was only so-so. Really I think the first couple were the best and #3 and #4 were only so-so in my opinion. Although I have to say I LOVED the fat Puss in Boots. I could have used more of Puss and Donkey's humor!
    The fat Puss in Boots was the best part of the movie.
    Like AJane, my cat is on the hefty side, though nowhere near the size of Puss.
    We needed a lot more of him and donkey.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

The Social Network - Very good movie with excellent acting from everyone involved!! I don't quite get all of the hype, because it isn't a movie I would watch again and again. However, I am certainly glad that I watched it.

You Again - Meh. I laughed in a couple of places, but there was an aspect of the story I just wasn't buying. I am going to spoiler it, just in case anyone cares : )
    Click to see Spoiler:
    If the mean girl (Joanna) really was turning her life around, then why was she still being all evil with the sister? I know they tried telling this story about how she was scared, but if she truly became such a wonderful person it seems like the apology would have come naturally and wouldn't have turned into a big fiasco. Of course that wouldn't have made a very interesting movie, but even this way it was still mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;4192090;
    The Social Network - Very good movie with excellent acting from everyone involved!! I don't quite get all of the hype, because it isn't a movie I would watch again and again. However, I am certainly glad that I watched it.
    I watched it today and feel the same way! Terrific movie, great acting and definitely deserving of the critical praise, but it's not a movie I LOVED. Jesse Eisenberg did a great job, but Colin Firth was better. Heck, Colin's performance last year was better!

Having seen both The Social Network and The King's Speech - generally considered the two front-runners for Best Picture this year - I have to say, I think The King's Speech deserves the Oscar.

This weekend, I watched The Romantics, kind of a combination of The Big Chill and St. Elmo's Fire with Katie Holmes, Josh Duhamel, Anna Paquin, Adam Brody, Elijah Wood, Malin Ackerman, Dianna Agron and Candice Bergin - a terrific cast! I really enjoyed it and it REALLY made me wish Katie Holmes was getting better roles. She was VERY good - it was really her movie, along with Josh Duhamel.

Also watched Tamara Drewe with Gemma Arterton as an ugly duckling who returns to her small village and wreaks havoc with her sex appeal. A cool, quirky little movie with a really appealing cast.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Not sure if it qualifies as a "movie," but the British series "Downton Abbey" was on Masterpiece Theater recently and I wasn't able to see it all. So I queued it up on "Instant Watch" on Netflix because there was a long wait for the actual DVD.

We watched the first 3 episodes last night. I loved it, and so did my hubby. It's set in England starting around 1912, and is sort of like "Upstairs, Downstairs" as it follows the adventures of those living and working in Downton Abbey. Great cast, including the incomparable Maggie Smith, who can convey more with one raised eyebrow than many actors can with an entire monologue. My personal favorite character is Mr. Bates, the valet.

CCL

I have Downton Abbey on my dvr but have not gotten around to watching it. The British papers were all in a tither about how PBS trimmed it down for the American audience to make it more exciting/move quicker (I think they cut about an hour and a half/two hours in all). The un-cut edition is supposed to be available for purchase. ITV has commissioned a second series; not sure when it is going to air (I don't believe they've begun filming).

I've heard good things about Tamara Drewe. I wonder if it is on pay-per-view or something.

I'm going to agree with ClosetRTWatcher and Critical regarding Social Network. It was good but I don't think it was as phenomenal as some people make out.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

We watched the last two (uncut) episodes of Downton Abbey last night. I totally loved the series, and can't wait for Season 2, which is being filmed right now. Extremely well done.

I have Downtown Abbey in my Netflix instant queue now. My mother LOVED the show and wished there were more episodes. Her birthday is coming up, so I'm buying her the UK extended version of the show. She'll be so excited!

I have a few DVDs to watch this weekend: Red, The Other Guys and Micmacs. I'm especially looking forward to Micmacs. I love Jean-Pierre Jeunet and, if the previews are any indication, the film is gorgeous!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Count me and my sons in as fans of Downton Abbey. It's in my Netflix queue and I fervently hope we get another season.

I watched Red about a week ago and really liked it. It was a true action comedy.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

I watched RED and Inception. RED I thoroughly enjoyed and would watch again. I napped through most of Inception.

I've also watched The Social Network recently and found it another interesting piece of the internet puzzle. I can't remember the name of it now, but there is a documentary (or quasi-documentary) about the rivalry between Apple and Microsoft - as well as movies. I like The Social Network because it relates to those kinds of stories of the creative mind.

I just watched PBS Origins and have a physics DVD coming up the list. Downton Abbey is on my recommend from Netflix - Guess I'll give it a go.

I can't wait to see The King's Speech. Everyone I've talked to who has seen it, loves it. And then, the latest Harry Potter comes out on DVD in April. I've pre-ordered on Amazon and am looking forward to seeing it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread