+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Salt - I wasn't really expecting to like this one, but I really enjoyed it. There were a couple of places where I actually gasped out loud - a sure sign of a good plot twist! My only complaint was the ending - I don't like movie endings whose only purpose appears to be a sequel set-up.

I'm going lowbrow with Bandslam. It's adorable and lots of rock.

I'll have to put The Chorus on my list.

Red is on my list, but it will be a long wait.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I thought Bandslam was cute too Ariel. It wasn't Citizen Kane, but few movies are!

This past weekend, I watched;

Dinner for Schmucks - not the greatest comedy ever made, which is surprising in light of how many really funny people are in it. The last 15 minutes saved the movie for me.....and the fact that I love Steve Carrell and Paul Rudd.

The Expendables - the ONLY thing that kept me watching was Jason Statham. 90 minutes of him would have been much better. Too many explosions, too many people shooting at each other. BORING! I lost track of who was shooting at whom. I can't believe they're going to make a sequel. I thought they blew everything up in the first one!

The Town - bank caper/drama in Mass. with Ben Affleck and Jon Hamm. I didn't LOVE it, but I liked it a lot. Not the biggest fan of Jeremy Renner (he's creeped me out since he played Jeffrey Dahmer early in his career), but his character wasn't supposed to be likable, so it worked.

Up next are The Social Network, Tamara Drewe and The Romantics!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fort Member

Critical: you need to see The Dinner Game its the original they tried to copy for Dinner with Schmucks
    Its french and very funny its one of my all time favourite movies. Dinner with Schmucks was not even close
    Its the same with Death at a funeral. The original version is also one of my favourite films, the remake just bad.

Watched "9" on the weekend the animated film and I cried, its just sad, I so wanted a happy ending, great film just so unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda;4187926;
    Critical: you need to see The Dinner Game its the original they tried to copy for Dinner with Schmucks
    Its french and very funny its one of my all time favourite movies. Dinner with Schmucks was not even close
    Its the same with Death at a funeral. The original version is also one of my favourite films, the remake just bad.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I just put The Dinner Game in my Netflix queue!

I feel the same way about Death at a Funeral. The original is hilarious and wonderful. I couldn't even get through the remake. They completely blew it. That's what happens when the people who produce the remake don't understand British comedy, I think. Or really, why audiences think it's funny. Of course, they still do it all the time even though the only really successful remake I can think of in TV OR movies is The Office. That's probably because Ricky Gervais produced both shows!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Newbie

pirahna
    Dinner for Schmucks
    step brothers

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;4180170;
    Let Me In - This is the American re-make of the Swedish film Let the Right One In. I really liked the original because it was unusually touching and serene for a horror film. As American re-makes go, this one was very good. It actually kept to the format of the original one very closely, with a few notable differences. They changed some superficial things like the setting to put it in America and they actually assigned the year 1983 to it, which I kind of liked because the timing was so ambiguous in the original film that I spent too much time trying to figure out if it was supposed to be present or past. They also used more special effects with Abby and, although I thought they were unnecessary, they were used sparingly so it wasn't too bad. I am putting the more notable differences in spoilers because they are a bit more pertinent to the plot and I don't want to spoil anything for people who are planning to see it and don't already know the story.

Click to see Spoiler:

Gender issues: They really glossed over the whole gender issue in this version of the film. I am mostly annoyed by this because I think it implies that American audiences just can't deal with it, so they had to "dumb it down" due to the intolerant elements in our society. Abby comments that she's "not a girl", but they lead the viewer to think that by this comment she is referring to the fact that she is a vampire (for lack of a better term since they never really say this is what she is in words). I thought the foreign version did a fine job providing the explanation of what she really meant in a reasonable manner that we (or at least most) Americans probably could have dealt with. Also, I think Chloe Moretz did a fine job in this role, but she is pretty girly and that helps Americans follow the easy path to believing the character is a girl. The actress who played Eli in the original was far more androgenous and fit better with the original concept.

Abby's "dad": In the first movie this guy is a creep. In the book he is even creepier and it is strongly implied that he is a pedophile. In this version you kinda get a mildly creepy vibe and the way his incompetence plays out is almost funny. The thing that I really disliked was the scene where Owen finds the photo booth pictures with Abby and her "dad" when he was a kid. As far as I can remember there was nothing in the first film or book that tells the audience that she has a history of finding 12-year-old boys to get close to so she can take advantage of their affection and have them carry out murders for her until they are old and gray. I kind of liked that this was left to the reader to wonder about. Does she truely like this boy and want to be close to him, or is she just looking for another person to victimize into adulthood? The photos in this version of the film strongly implied that she was playing a game and was just looking for a new person to do her dirty work.

The movie title: This is probably a strange comment, but I find the change in title a strange choice. "Let the Right One In" is a warning that can be viewed from many angles in the context of the story. "Let Me In" is a command and that does not at all seem to fit with the feel and flow of this story.
    I saw the American film before reading the book, and loved it. I recently read the book and was quite surprised by the plot changes you mentioned
    Click to see Spoiler:
    particularly Eli/Abby's gender, but I think the change might have had more to do with glossing over the vicious castration of Eli
    -was that part of the Swedish film? I haven't seen the original yet - I reserved it at the library and it came in when I was out of town on holidays. I do agree with your last comment - I wouldn't have changed the title. The book claims it as a quote from a Morrissey song, maybe it was a copyright thing?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Shrek 4 - Shrek Everafter.
    What a major disappointment.
    The Shrek series is my favorite animated series.
    This one, however, captured none of the 'soul or humor' of the prior 3. It looked like it was designed to be a video game. I guess it was done in 3D.
    Way too much focus on Shrek and Fiona - admittedly, the main characters, but they're not at all my faves or all that interesting. It needed more Donkey, Puss in Boots, etc. They're the best of the series, IMO.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4190705;
    Shrek 4 - Shrek Everafter.
    What a major disappointment.
    The Shrek series is my favorite animated series.
    This one, however, captured none of the 'soul or humor' of the prior 3. It looked like it was designed to be a video game. I guess it was done in 3D.
    Way too much focus on Shrek and Fiona - admittedly, the main characters, but they're not at all my faves or all that interesting. It needed more Donkey, Puss in Boots, etc. They're the best of the series, IMO.
    I definitely agree with this! We watched it last week. Our 4 year old even thought it was only so-so. Really I think the first couple were the best and #3 and #4 were only so-so in my opinion. Although I have to say I LOVED the fat Puss in Boots. I could have used more of Puss and Donkey's humor!

Quote Originally Posted by liz_momof2;4190856;
    Although I have to say I LOVED the fat Puss in Boots. I could have used more of Puss and Donkey's humor!
    We own a very overweight orange tabby. My whole family absolutely died laughing at the fat Puss. I swear the Shrek creators have met our cat, minus the Spanish accent.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread