+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Glad you enjoyed it, AZ.
    I thought the movie was good, but I did find the novel to be better.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I just watched Ira and Abby starring Chris Messina and Jennifer Westfeldt (who also wrote the script). If you liked Kissing Jessica Stein, I recommend this one as well. It's a sort of backwards love story where a couple meet, get married, fall in love and THEN get to know each other. It also stars Fred Willard, Frances Conroy, Robert Klein and Judith Light as their parents. I like Jennifer a lot and she had great chemistry with Chris Messina. As with KJS, Jon Hamm has a nice little cameo.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Two REALLY good ones yesterday!

First was Arranged, about two young women - one Muslim, one Orthodox Jew - who meet as teachers and then become friends. Just a lovely story and terrifically acted. The two lead actresses were charming and had great chemistry. I can't say enough good things about this one. Loved it.

Next up was Italian for Beginners a Danish film about a group of people who live in the same town, but get to know each other while taking an Italian class. Similar to Maeve Binchy's Evening Class, which I loved. A really sweet story, but not saccharine.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;4143508;
    Dinner for Schmucks - I didn't hate it, but I can't recommend it either. I think my biggest problem with it was that Steve Carell's character was supposed to be annoying, but I found him SO annoying that I was having a hard time feeling bad for him and sympathizing with the bad stuff he had been through.
    I gotta take it a step further.... I did hate it! I totally agree with you on Steve Carrell's character. It's just like his character Michael on the Office, so annoying he's uncomfortable to watch. We fast-forwarded through much of it but it never seemed to get any better!

The other one we watched this weekend was the Social Network. That one was fascinating, thumbs up.

My boyfriend and I rented "The Other Guys" with Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg last night, we had heard from a bunch of our friends about how funny it was. It was definitely funny but I felt like it dragged on, it was just ok for me.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;4163458;
    Buried. Basically, it's poor Ryan Reynolds as a contracted truck driver in Iraq, kidnapped and buried in a box. For 90 minutes. In a box. You never see anybody or anything besides him in that box. While I think his performance was excellent, I hated the ending.
    We just watched that! It was crazy! There were a couple of parts where he made me laugh (when he hung up on his sister in law (?) ) was one of them...lmao But yeah, I wasn't fond of the ending, either. And all the people telling him to calm down...uhm...yeah right. I'm buried in a wooden coffin in the desert and you are going to tell me to calm down? Not likely to happen. It was a good movie, though. He carried it off well though. The beginning was too slow but once it got going..I was enthralled.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Red - Pretty good action flick with lots of really good actors. It was fun. The premise was that some "agency" is trying to assassinate some former CIA agents, so they need to come out of retirement to figure out what is going on. My only problem was that I couldn't sit down and watch it in one sitting because I initially started watching it too late. I would have enjoyed it more if I had watched it continuously from beginning to end. I especially liked the performances by John Malkovich and Helen Mirren.

Let Me In - This is the American re-make of the Swedish film Let the Right One In. I really liked the original because it was unusually touching and serene for a horror film. As American re-makes go, this one was very good. It actually kept to the format of the original one very closely, with a few notable differences. They changed some superficial things like the setting to put it in America and they actually assigned the year 1983 to it, which I kind of liked because the timing was so ambiguous in the original film that I spent too much time trying to figure out if it was supposed to be present or past. They also used more special effects with Abby and, although I thought they were unnecessary, they were used sparingly so it wasn't too bad. I am putting the more notable differences in spoilers because they are a bit more pertinent to the plot and I don't want to spoil anything for people who are planning to see it and don't already know the story.

Click to see Spoiler:

Gender issues: They really glossed over the whole gender issue in this version of the film. I am mostly annoyed by this because I think it implies that American audiences just can't deal with it, so they had to "dumb it down" due to the intolerant elements in our society. Abby comments that she's "not a girl", but they lead the viewer to think that by this comment she is referring to the fact that she is a vampire (for lack of a better term since they never really say this is what she is in words). I thought the foreign version did a fine job providing the explanation of what she really meant in a reasonable manner that we (or at least most) Americans probably could have dealt with. Also, I think Chloe Moretz did a fine job in this role, but she is pretty girly and that helps Americans follow the easy path to believing the character is a girl. The actress who played Eli in the original was far more androgenous and fit better with the original concept.

Abby's "dad": In the first movie this guy is a creep. In the book he is even creepier and it is strongly implied that he is a pedophile. In this version you kinda get a mildly creepy vibe and the way his incompetence plays out is almost funny. The thing that I really disliked was the scene where Owen finds the photo booth pictures with Abby and her "dad" when he was a kid. As far as I can remember there was nothing in the first film or book that tells the audience that she has a history of finding 12-year-old boys to get close to so she can take advantage of their affection and have them carry out murders for her until they are old and gray. I kind of liked that this was left to the reader to wonder about. Does she truely like this boy and want to be close to him, or is she just looking for another person to victimize into adulthood? The photos in this version of the film strongly implied that she was playing a game and was just looking for a new person to do her dirty work.

The movie title: This is probably a strange comment, but I find the change in title a strange choice. "Let the Right One In" is a warning that can be viewed from many angles in the context of the story. "Let Me In" is a command and that does not at all seem to fit with the feel and flow of this story.

Just watched The Kids Are All Right. Loved it. Thought Annette Bening was excellent, but I don't see her beating Natalie Portman for the Oscar...

Just bought/watched The Chorus, Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Language Film (France) from 2004. If you can handle subtitles, I definitely recommend it!

Quote Originally Posted by lobeck;4181201;
    Just watched The Kids Are All Right. Loved it. Thought Annette Bening was excellent, but I don't see her beating Natalie Portman for the Oscar...

Just bought/watched The Chorus, Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Language Film (France) from 2004. If you can handle subtitles, I definitely recommend it!
    I don't think Annette will win the Oscar either. She was terrific in the movie, but it wasn't her best work, imo.

I LOVED The Chorus! It's one of those movies that reminds me why I love movies!

+ Reply to Thread