+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Last Movies You Have Rented

Re: Last Movies You Have Rented

Special - weirdest movie (or very close) I've ever seen. Not recommending because they don't truly resolve the premise which is that a man thinks he has superpowers and the pills in a drug study for low esteem he joins make him think he is getting more powerful. In the end, when he gives a lovely speech about being an ordinary man, he keeps getting hit by a car (too long to explain) and keeps picking himself up off the pavement. So - does he or doesn't he without the pill? Never resolved. Weird.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

The Town - An okay movie about a group of boyhood friends in Boston who rob banks. The acting and plot were fine, the reason I'm calling it just "okay" is because I have seen this story many times before. And for me the best bank robber movies are Heat (for acting, storyline, and character development) and Point Break (for cool factor and eye candy ).

A documentary film called 'Babies'. It followed four babies through their everyday lives from birth to walking. The babies were from San Fransisco, Japan, Mongolia and Africa (Nambia, I think). It was beautifully shot with no narration and very little dialogue, it was just the babies. I had a warm fuzzy feeling after watching this film because who doesn't love babies!

I watched couple of really good ones this weekend!

Going the Distance with Drew Barrymore and Justin Long trying make a long distance relationship work. It was surprisingly good - I actually laughed out loud a few times - and Christina Applegate was hilarious as Drew's OCD sister.

Body of Lies starring Leonard DiCaprio and Russell Crowe in a spy thriller set in the Middle East. Really good performances and I'm not a DiCaprio fan, so that's saying a lot!

Exit Through the Gift Shop, a quirky documentary about the world of street art and a very odd man who infiltrated that world and then became it's new "star." I found it interesting on several levels and I enjoyed how it exposed the idiocy of the young and tragically hip, who think they know everything about art.

Joan Rivers: A Piece of Work, which showed a year in the life of Joan Rivers. I was really surprised with how much she opened up her life and how HARD she works. I don't always think she's funny, but I respected her more after watching this.

Heartbreaker with the wonderful Romain Duris (my favorite French actor) and Vanessa Paradis. Duris plays a con artist who breaks up relationships for money and Paradis plays his latest mark, with whom he accidentally falls in love. Very funny and surprisingly sweet at times. I'm always charmed by Duris and this was no exception.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4160121;
    Exit Through the Gift Shop, a quirky documentary about the world of street art and a very odd man who infiltrated that world and then became it's new "star." I found it interesting on several levels and I enjoyed how it exposed the idiocy of the young and tragically hip, who think they know everything about art.
    This just got nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature. For anyone who's interested, it's currently available on Hulu.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Buried. Basically, it's poor Ryan Reynolds as a contracted truck driver in Iraq, kidnapped and buried in a box. For 90 minutes. In a box. You never see anybody or anything besides him in that box. While I think his performance was excellent, I hated the ending.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd;4163458;
    Buried. Basically, it's poor Ryan Reynolds as a contracted truck driver in Iraq, kidnapped and buried in a box. For 90 minutes. In a box. You never see anybody or anything besides him in that box. While I think his performance was excellent, I hated the ending.
    I love Ryan, but I don't think I can see this one. I'm ever so slightly claustrophobic, so this would probably send me over the edge!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We watched "Million Dollar Baby." Man, that Eastwood guy can act . . . and direct.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;4163534;
    I love Ryan, but I don't think I can see this one. I'm ever so slightly claustrophobic, so this would probably send me over the edge!
    I will definitely not be able to watch that one either. I've never really thought of myself as claustrophobic, but the thought of someone being buried alive practically gives me a panic attack. I wasn't even sure I would be able to get through Kill Bill Vol 2 or The Girl Who Played with Fire because I knew those kinds of scenes were involved!!

A great deal of my movie-watching time lately has been dedicated to TV shows that I was never able to get into, but are now available on Netflix. Even if I'm interested, I never start watching the ones on HBO or Showtime because my cable access is in my living room and they tend to abruptly change to rather explicit sex scenes - this is problematic when I have young kids in the house! So recently I started watching True Blood and The Tudors. I am really enjoying both and I'm happy that there is so much available for me to watch! The only problem is that I have a hard time breaking away from it. I watched all of the 4th Season 1 True Blood DVD last night, nearly 3 hours! Every time an episode was ended I was left thinking "Oh my gosh, I HAVE to know what happens next!" Now I have to hustle and get that disk back in the mail so I will have the next one available this weekend!
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-26-2011 at 11:53 AM.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4147078;
    AZ,

You need to read the book. It was, IMO, one of Dennis Lehane's best.
    I really enjoyed the movie, too, though.
    I just finished the book. IMHO, that was the closest match between a book and movie that I've ever seen. And it did help explain a bit more about the relationship between Dave, Sean, and Jimmy. Very good read.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

+ Reply to Thread